A subchronic in situ exposure method for evaluating effects in small-bodied fish at contaminated sites
Article first published online: 20 SEP 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 29, Issue 1, pages 54–63, January 2014
How to Cite
Miller, J. L., Sherry, J., Parrott, J. and Quinn, J. S. (2014), A subchronic in situ exposure method for evaluating effects in small-bodied fish at contaminated sites. Environ. Toxicol., 29: 54–63. doi: 10.1002/tox.20772
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 20 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 17 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Received: 9 APR 2011
- Great Lakes Cleanup Fund
- Ontario Ministry of the Environment
- 2006. Anguilla anguilla L. oxidative stress biomarkers: An in situ study of freshwater wetland ecosystem (Pateira de Fermentelos, Portugal). Chemosphere 65:952–962. , , .
- 2005. Contaminant accumulation and biomarker responses in caged fish exposed to effluents from anthropogenic sources in the Karnaphuly River, Bangladesh. Environ Toxicol Chem 24:1968–1978. , , , , .
- 2006. Using on-site bioassays to determine selenium risk to propagated endangered fishes. N Am J Fish Manage 26:308–316. , , , , , .
- 2008. In situ biomonitoring of PAH-contaminated sediments using juvenile coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 71:454–464. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Contaminant accumulation and biomarker responses in flounder (Platichthys flesus L.) and Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L.) exposed by caging to polluted sediments in Sorfjorden, Norway. Aquat Toxicol 36:75–98. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Information Required for Fisheries Act Approval for the Construction of an Engineered Containment Facility and Dredging of Contaminated Sediments at Randle Reef. Burlington, ON:Environment Canada.39 p. , .
- 2010. CYP1A expression in caged rainbow trout discriminates among sites with various degrees of polychlorinated biphenyl contamination. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 58:772–782. , , , , , .
- 2005. In situ exposures using caged organisms: A multi-compartment approach to detect aquatic toxicity and bioaccumulation. Environ Pollut 134:133–144. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. An in situ bioassay integrating individual and biochemical responses using small fish species. Ecotoxicology 13:667–681. , , , .
- 2007. Review of aquatic in situ approaches for stressor and effect diagnosis. Integr Environ Assess Manage 3:234–245. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The Comparative Physiology of Fathead Minnows and Rainbow Trout: Insights into the Tolerance of the Two Species to Toxicants. Hamilton, ON:McMaster University (Canada). pp1–195. .
- 2004. Caged pearl dace (Semotilus margarita) as sentinels for gold mining wastes in environmental effects monitoring. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 72:409–414. , , , , , .
- 2000. Comparing polychlorinated biphenyl concentrations and patterns in the Saginaw River using sediment, caged fish, and semipermeable membrane devices. Environ Sci Technol 34:4095–4102. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Accumulation and effects of aromatic and chlorinated hydrocarbons in juvenile Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) caged in a polluted fjord (Sorfjorden, Norway). Aquat Toxicol 29:21–35. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Development of a short-term in situ caging methodology to assess long-term effects of industrial and municipal discharges on salmon smolts. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 62:331–340. , , , , .
- 2001. Effects of handling on endocrinology and reproductive performance of the fathead minnow. J Fish Biol 59:515–523. , , , .
- 2003. Effect of exposure to various sites within Hamilton Harbour on Oncorhynchus mykiss pronephros macrophage function and B cell numbers. J Great Lakes Res 29:280–295. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Cumulative effects of multiple contaminants on caged fish. Water Qual Res J Can 41:244–255. , , , , .
- 1992. The biological significance of contaminants in sediment from Hamilton harbour, Lake Ontario. Environ Toxicol Chem 11:1527–1540. , .
- 1989. Feeding and nutritional considerations in aquatic toxicology. Hydrobiologia 188/189:525–531. , , .
- 1999. Fluorescent aromatic hydrocarbons in bile as a biomarker of exposure of brown bullheads (Ameiurus nebulosus) to contaminated sediments. Environ Toxicol Chem 18:750–755. , , , .
- 2007. In situ-based effects measures: Considerations for improving methods and approaches. Integr Environ Assess Manage 3:246–258. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. A bioaccumulation bioassay for freshwater sediments. Environ Toxicol Chem 9:1405–1414. , , , , , .
- 1990. Coal Tar Contamination Near Randle Reef, Hamilton Harbour. Burlington, Ontario, L7R 4A6:Lakes Research Branch, National Water Research Institute. , , , , , .
- 1999. Effects of exposure to municipal wastewater in situ on the reproductive physiology of the fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas). Environ Toxicol Chem 18:2001–2012. , , , .
- 2006. Caging techniques for field exposures of fish to chemical contaminants. Aquat Toxicol 78:370–381. .
- 2005. Caging small-bodied fish as an alternative method for environmental effects monitoring (EEM). Water Qual Res J Can 40:328–333. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Life-cycle exposure of fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas) to an ethinylestradiol concentration below 1 ng/L reduces egg fertilization success and demasculinizes males. Environ Toxicol 20:131–141. , .
- 2011. Selenium uptake and speciation in wild and caged fish downstream of a metal mining and milling discharge. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 74:1139–1150. , , , , , .
- 2009. Application of a numerical model for circulation, temperature and pollutant distribution in Hamilton Harbour. J Great Lakes Res 35:61–73. , , .
- 1995. Biomarker responses along a pollution gradient: Effects of pulp and paper mill effluents on caged whitefish. Aquat Toxicol 31:329–345. , , , , , .
- 1996. Observed currents and water levels in Hamilton Harbour. J Great Lakes Res 22:224–240. , , .