Effects of benzene and its metabolites on global DNA methylation in human normal hepatic l02 cells
Article first published online: 22 SEP 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 29, Issue 1, pages 108–116, January 2014
How to Cite
Hu, J., Ma, H., Zhang, W., Yu, Z., Sheng, G. and Fu, J. (2014), Effects of benzene and its metabolites on global DNA methylation in human normal hepatic l02 cells. Environ. Toxicol., 29: 108–116. doi: 10.1002/tox.20777
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 22 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 25 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Received: 6 APR 2011
- Foundation of State Key Laboratory of Organic Geochemistry
- Guangzhou Institute of Geochemistry
- Chinese Academy of Sciences. Grant Number: GIGCX-09-01
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: NSFC-21007072
- Knowledge Innovative Program of The Chinese Academy of Sciences. Grant Number: KZCX2-YW-GJ02
- Special Scientific Research Start-up Fund for the Gainer of the Excellent PhD Dissertation Award or the President Scholarship of Chinese Academy of Sciences (2005). Grant Number: 0533041A07
- 2009. A review of the role of benzene metabolites and mechanisms in malignant transformation: Summative evidence for a lack of research in nonmyelogenous cancer types. Int J Hyg Environ Health 2121:1–10. .
- 2002. DNA methylation and the regulation of gene transcription. Cell Mol Life Sci 592:241–257. , , .
- 2007. Changes in DNA methylation patterns in subjects exposed to low-dose benzene. Cancer Res 673:876–880. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Oxidative DNA damage and influence of genetic polymorphisms among urban and rural schoolchildren exposed to benzene. Chem Biol Interact 172:185–194. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Analysis of DNA methylation by tandem ion-pair reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography/electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 18:2773–2778. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Methylation of PARP-1 promoter involved in the regulation of benzene-induced decrease of PARP-1 mRNA expression. Toxicol Lett 1952-3:114–118. , , , , , .
- 2005. Genotoxicity of the benzene metabolites para-benzoquinone and hydroquinone. Chem Biol Interact 153:267–270. , , .
- 2003. Induction of tumors in mice by genomic hypomethylation. Science 300:489–492. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Effects of an acute exposure of benzene on DNA methylation in Sprague-Dawley rats. Ecol Environ.19:2902–2905. , , , , , , .
- IARC. 1987. IARC monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans.Supplement/World Health Organization, International Agency for Research on Cancer. France.1–42:120–122.
- 2002. Beyond Watson and Crick: DNA methylation and molecular enzymology of DNA methyltransferases. Chembiochem 35:382–382. .
- 2010. A comparison of the cytogenetic alterations and global DNA hypomethylation induced by the benzene metabolite, hydroquinone, with those induced by melphalan and etoposide. Leukemia 245:986–991. , , , , , .
- 2008. Genome-wide identification of aberrantly methylated promoter associated CpG islands in acute lymphocytic leukemia DNA Methylation in ALL. Leukemia 22:1529–1538. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1980. Quantitative reversed-phase high-performance liquid-chromatographic determination of major and modified deoxyribonucleosides in DNA. Nucleic Acids Res 820:4763–4776. , , , , .
- 1991. Detection of DNA adducts in HL-60 cells treated with hydroquinone and para-benzoquinone by P-32 postlabeling. Carcinogenesis 127:1181–1186. , , .
- 2005. Characterization of methylated and unmethylated CpG oligodeoxynucleotides by electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. Eur J Mass Spectrom 116:581–589. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Analysis of global DNA methylation levels in human blood using high-performance liquid chromatography/tandem electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Eur J Mass Spectrom 154:555–561. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Impact of 7,8-dihydro-8-oxoguanine on methylation of the CpG site by Dnmt3a. Biochemistry 486:1361–1368. , , , .
- 2008. Identification of marker genes including RUNX3 AML2 that discriminate between different myeloproliferative neoplasms and normal individuals. Leukemia 229:1773–1778. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Detection of 3′-hydroxy-1, N6-benzetheno-2′-deoxyadenosine 3′-phosphate by phosphorus-32postlabeling of DNA reacted with para-benzoquinone. Chem Res Toxicol 42:199–202. , .
- 1990. Detection of 3′-hydroxy-3,N4-benzetheno-2′-deoxycytidine-3′-phosphate by p-32 postlabeling of DNA reacted with p-benzoquinone. Carcinogenesis 119:1469–1472. , , , .
- 2009. Evidence that humans metabolize benzene via two pathways. Environ Health Perspect 1176:946–952. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Review of the literature on benzene exposure and leukemia subtypes. Chem Biol Interact 153:9–21. , , .
- 1979. Sensitive detection of 5-methylcytosine and quantitation of the 5-methylcytosine-cytosine ration in DNA by gas chromatography ion monitoring. Anal Biochem 942:297–301. , , , , .
- 2005. Specific method for the determination of genomic DNA methylation by liquid chromatography electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. Anal Chem 77:504–510. , , , .
- 2006. Impact of benzo [a] pyrene-2-deoxyguanosine lesions on methylation of DNA by SssI and HhaI DNA methyltransferases. Biochemistry 45:6142–6159. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Benzene's metabolites alter c-MYB activity via reactive oxygen species in HD3 cells. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2222:180–189. , .
- 2010. Methylation and expression analysis of tumor suppressor genes p15 and p16 in benzene poisoning. Chem Biol Interact 184:306–309. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Systems biology of human benzene exposure. Chem Biol Interact 1841–2:86–93. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .