Elevated serum ferritin and mercury concentrations are associated with hypertension; analysis of the fourth and fifth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey (KNHANES IV-2, 3, 2008–2009 and V-1, 2010)
Version of Record online: 9 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. The Environmental Toxicology published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 101–108, January 2015
How to Cite
Choi, B., Yeum, K.-J., Park, S.-J., Kim, K.-N. and Joo, N.-S. (2015), Elevated serum ferritin and mercury concentrations are associated with hypertension; analysis of the fourth and fifth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey (KNHANES IV-2, 3, 2008–2009 and V-1, 2010). Environ. Toxicol., 30: 101–108. doi: 10.1002/tox.21899
- Issue online: 23 DEC 2014
- Version of Record online: 9 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 FEB 2013
- Kuhnil Pharmacy, Korea
- 2002. Ferritin, iron homeostasis, and oxidative damage. Free Radic Biol Med 33:457–463. , .
- 2010. Polychlorinated biphenyls, lead, and mercury are associated with liver disease in American adults: NHANES 2003-2004. Environ Health Perspect 118:1735–1742. , , , , , .
- 2011. Simultaneous exposure of non-diabetics to high levels of dioxins and mercury increases their risk of insulin resistance. J Hazard Mater 185:749–755. , , , , , .
- 2003. Factor analysis of the metabolic syndrome among elderly Koreans--the South-west Seoul Study. Diabet Med 20(2):99–104. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The toxicology of mercury—Current exposures and clinical manifestations. N Engl J Med 349:1731–1737. , , .
- 2009. The preventable causes of death in the United States: Comparative risk assessment of dietary, lifestyle, and metabolic risk factors. PLoS Med 6:e1000058. , , , , , , .
- 2006. A preliminary study of mercury exposure and blood pressure in the Brazilian Amazon. Environ Health 5:29. , , , , , .
- 2008. Serum ferritin concentrations and body iron stores in a multicenter, multiethnic primary-care population. Am J Hematol 83:618–626. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Role of mercury toxicity in hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and stroke. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 13:621–627. .
- 2004. Insulin resistance and ferritin as major determinants of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in apparently healthy obese patients. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28:167–172. , , .
- 2005. Serum ferritin is associated with visceral fat area and subcutaneous fat area. Diabetes Care 28:2486–2491. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Serum ferritin and risk of the metabolic syndrome in U. S. adults. Diabetes Care 27:2422–2428. , , .
- 2012. Serum ferritin level is associated with the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Korean adults: the 2007-2008 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Clin Chim Acta 413:636–641. , , .
- 2011. Association of elevated serum ferritin concentration with insulin resistance and impaired glucose metabolism in Korean men and women. Metabolism 60:414–420. , , , , .
- 2012a. Serum ferritin levels predict incident non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in healthy Korean men. Metabolism 61:1182–1188. , , , , .
- 2012b. Increased serum ferritin predicts the development of hypertension among middle-aged men. Am J Hypertens 25:492–497. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Association of serum ferritin with metabolic syndrome and diabetes mellitus in the South Korean general population according to the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2008. Metabolism 60:1416–1424. , , .
- 2012. In: welfare Moh, editor. Korea Health Statistics 2011 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V-2). Seoul, Korea. .
- 1993. Studies on Hg(II)-induced H2O2 formation and oxidative stress in vivo and in vitro in rat kidney mitochondria. Biochem Pharmacol 45:2017–2024. , , .
- 1999. Relationship between serum ferritin and risk factors for ischaemic heart disease in 2235 Danes aged 30-60 years. J Intern Med 245:423–433. , .
- 2006. Fish intake, contaminants, and human health: Evaluating the risks and the benefits. JAMA 296:1885–1899. , .
- 2012. Mercury exposure and risk of hypertension in US men and women in 2 prospective cohorts. Hypertension 60:645–652. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and roles of inflammation—Mechanisms and therapeutic targets. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 32:1771–1776. , , .
- 1995. Intake of mercury from fish, lipid peroxidation, and the risk of myocardial infarction and coronary, cardiovascular, and any death in eastern Finnish men. Circulation 91:645–655. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Serum ferritin and death from all causes and cardiovascular disease: The NHANES II Mortality Study. National Health and Nutrition Examination Study. Ann Epidemiol 10:441–448. , , , , , .
- 1998. Low-level methylmercury exposure causes human T-cells to undergo apoptosis: evidence of mitochondrial dysfunction. Environ Res 77:149–159. , , .
- 2009. Mercury-induced oxidative stress in Indian mustard (Brassica juncea L.). Environ Toxicol 24:462–471. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Proportional mortality ratios among Korean immigrants to New York City, 1986–1990. Yonsei Med J 37:31–37. .
- 2008. Ferritin concentrations, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes in middle-aged and elderly chinese. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:4690–4696. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Environmental exposure to mercury and its toxicopathologic implications for public health. Environ Toxicol 18:149–175. , , , .
- 2000. Mercury intoxication and arterial hypertension: Report of two patients and review of the literature. Pediatrics 105:E34. , , .
- 2010. Dioxins, polychlorinated biphenyls, methyl mercury and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids as biomarkers of fish consumption. Eur J Clin Nutr 64:313–323. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Environmental mercury exposure and blood pressure among Nunavik Inuit adults. Hypertension 54:981–986. , , .
- 2005. Blood mercury level and blood pressure among US women: Results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999–2000. Environ Res 97:195–200. , , , , .
- 2011. Body burdens of mercury, lead, selenium and copper among Baltimore newborns. Environ Res 111:411–417. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Relationship of serum ferritin with cardiovascular risk factors and inflammation in young men and women. Atherosclerosis 165:179–184. , , .