Indium acetate toxicity in male reproductive system in rats
Version of Record online: 5 JUL 2014
© 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 31, Issue 1, pages 68–76, January 2016
How to Cite
Lee, K.-H., Chen, H.-L., Leung, C.-M., Chen, H.-P. and Hsu, P.-C. (2016), Indium acetate toxicity in male reproductive system in rats. Environ. Toxicol., 31: 68–76. doi: 10.1002/tox.22022
- Issue online: 12 DEC 2015
- Version of Record online: 5 JUL 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 18 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 22 DEC 2013
- National Science Council (NSC) of Taiwan. Grant Number: 101–2221-E-327-014-MY3
- 2003. Lead acetate induced cytotoxicity in male germinal cells of Swiss mice. Ind Health 41:291–294. , , .
- 1999. The Amoroso Lecture. The human spermatozoon–A cell in crisis? J Reprod Fertil 115:1–7. .
- 2007. Origins and consequences of DNA damage in male germ cells. Reprod Biomed Online 14:727–733. , .
- 2010. On the possible origins of DNA damage in human spermatozoa. Mol Hum Reprod 16:3–13. , .
- 2011. Apoptosis and DNA damage in human spermatozoa. Asian J Androl 13:36–42. , .
- 1995. Differential incorporation of fatty acids into and peroxidative loss of fatty acids from phospholipids of human spermatozoa. Mol Reprod Dev 42:334–346. , .
- 2009. Genotoxicity studies of heavy metals: Lead, bismuth, indium, silver and antimony. J Occup Health 51:498–512. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Mediation of oxidative DNA damage by nickel(II) and copper(II) complexes with the N-terminal sequence of human protamine HP2. Chem Res Toxicol 10:915–921. , , .
- 2007. The protamine family of sperm nuclear proteins. Genome Biol 8:227. .
- 1983. Flow cytometric studies of oxidative product formation by neutrophils: A graded response to membrane stimulation. J Immunol 130:1910–1917. , , , , , .
- 1994. Metabolism and testicular toxicity of 1,3-dinitrobenzene in rats of different ages. Fundam Appl Toxicol 23:439–46. , , , .
- 2001. Aneuploidy rate in spermatozoa of selected men with abnormal semen parameters. Hum Reprod 16:1172–1179. , , , , , , .
- 1973. Comparative toxicity and pharmacodynamics of ionic indium chloride and hydrated indium oxide. J Nucl Med 14:677–682. ., .
- 2004. Spermiogenic germ cell phase-specific DNA damage following cyclophosphamide exposure. J Androl 25:354–362. , , .
- 1995. Alterations in the heme biosynthetic pathway from the III-V semiconductor metal, indium arsenide (InAs). Chem Biol Interact 96:273–285. , , .
- 1995. Impact of reactive oxygen species on spermatozoa: A balancing act between beneficial and detrimental effects. Hum Reprod 10(Suppl 1):15–21. , .
- 2001. Toxic metals and oxidative stress part I: mechanisms involved in metal-induced oxidative damage. Curr Top Med Chem 1:529–539. , , .
- 1994. Sperm chromatin structure assay: DNA denaturability. Methods Cell Biol 42:159–176. , .
- 2003. Human sperm DNA integrity: Correlation with sperm cytoplasmic droplets. Urology 61:207–211. , , .
- 2005. Aryl hydrocarbon receptor-dependent induction of loss of mitochondrial membrane potential in epididydimal spermatozoa by 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD). Toxicol Lett 157:99–107. , , .
- 1997. Fluorometric assessments of mitochondrial function and viability in cryopreserved bovine spermatozoa. Biol Reprod 57:1401–1406. , , , , .
- 2001. Fluorescent probes and flow cytometry to assess rat sperm integrity and mitochondrial function. Reprod Toxicol 15:5–10. , , , .
- 2008. Exposure to hardly soluble indium compounds in ITO production and recycling plants is a new risk for interstitial lung damage. Occup Environ Med 65:51–55. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Low lead environmental exposure alters semen quality and sperm chromatin condensation in northern Mexico. Reprod Toxicol 20:221–228. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Interstitial pneumonia developed in a worker dealing with particles containing indium-tin oxide. J Occup Health 45:137–139. , , , , .
- 2002. Antioxidant nutrients and lead toxicity. Toxicology 180:33–44. , .
- Japan Society for Occupational Health (JSOH). 2007. Documentation of OEL and BEI for indium and its compounds. San Ei Shi 49:196–202 (in Japanese).
- 1988. Lead-induced changes in the stabilization of the mouse sperm chromatin. Toxicology 51:11–24. , .
- 2011. Advances in metal-induced oxidative stress and human disease. Toxicology 283:65–87. , .
- 2005. Morphological abnormalities in the spermatozoa of fertile and infertile men. Mol Reprod Dev 70:70–81. , , , , .
- 2003. Relationship between the outcomes of assisted reproductive techniques and sperm DNA fragmentation as measured by the sperm chromatin structure assay. Fertil Steril 80:895–902. , , , , , .
- 2000. Sperm chromatin structure assay parameters as predictors of failed pregnancy following assisted reproductive techniques. Hum Reprod 15:1717–1722. , , , , .
- 1999. Effects of Ni(II) and Cu(II) on DNA interaction with the N-terminal sequence of human protamine P2: Enhancement of binding and mediation of oxidative DNA strand scission and base damage. Carcinogenesis 20:893–898. , , , , , .
- 1990. Reproductive toxicity of a single dose of 1,3-dinitrobenzene in two ages of young adult male rats. Fundam Appl Toxicol 14:284–298. , , , , .
- 2012. Relationship between indium exposure and oxidative damage in workers in indium tin oxide production plants. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 85:447–453. , , , , .
- 2009. Evaluation of chemiluminescence and flow cytometry as tools in assessing production of hydrogen peroxide and superoxide anion in human spermatozoa. Fertil Steril 92:819–827. , , , , .
- 2002. Study of mitochondrial membrane potential, reactive oxygen species, DNA fragmentation and cell viability by flow cytometry in human sperm. Hum Reprod 17:1257–1265. , , , , .
- 2004. Concentration of copper, iron, zinc, cadmium, lead, and nickel in bull and ram semen and relation to the occurrence of pathological spermatozoa. J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng 39:3005–3014. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Inhalation carcinogenicity and chronic toxicity of indium-tin oxide in rats and mice. J Occup Health 53:175–187. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Inorganic lead exposure in battery and paint factory: Effect on human sperm structure and functional activity. J UOEH 28:157–171. , .
- 2006. Protamines and male infertility. Hum Reprod Update 12:417–435. .
- 1996. Testicular toxicity of gallium arsenide, indium arsenide, and arsenic oxide in rats by repetitive intratracheal instillation. Fundam Appl Toxicol 32:72–78. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Changes in the testicular damage caused by indium arsenide and indium phosphide in hamsters during two years after intratracheal instillations. J Occup Health 42:196–204. , , , , , .
- 1981. DNA and protein content of mouse sperm. Implications regarding sperm chromatin structure. Exp Cell Res 136:127–136. , , , .
- 2000. Lead interaction with human protamine (HP2) as a mechanism of male reproductive toxicity. Chem Res Toxicol 13:594–600. , , , , , .
- 2011. Histological and ultrastructural study of the intracellular behavior of indium in the testicular tissues. Microsc Res Technique 74:546–550. , , , , .
- 1979. The formation of disulfide bonds in human protamines during sperm maturation. Experientia 35:191–192. , .
- 1996. Flow cytometric and histological assessment of 1,2:3,4-diepoxybutane toxicity on mouse spermatogenesis. J Toxicol Environ Health 47:423–441. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Is there a relationship between sperm chromosome abnormalities and sperm morphology? Reprod Biol Endocrinol 4:1. , , .
- 2004. Toxicity of indium arsenide, gallium arsenide, and aluminium gallium arsenide. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 198:405–11. .
- 2010. Review of pulmonary toxicity of indium compounds to animals and humans. Thin solid Films 518:2934–2936. , , , , , , .
- 2003. The associations among semen quality, oxidative DNA damage in human spermatozoa and concentrations of cadmium, lead and selenium in seminal plasma. Mutat Res 534:155–163. , , , , , , .