Assessing Environmental Sustainability Performance at the National Level: Leading Indicators Can Help
Article first published online: 7 JAN 2013
© 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Environmental Quality Management
Volume 22, Issue 2, pages 33–47, Winter 2012
How to Cite
Brewer, A. S. and Pojasek, R. B. (2012), Assessing Environmental Sustainability Performance at the National Level: Leading Indicators Can Help. Environ. Qual. Manage., 22: 33–47. doi: 10.1002/tqem.21325
- Issue published online: 7 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 7 JAN 2013
- 2010). Implementing the Australian Business Excellence framework in Australian local government. Australian Centre of Excellence for Local Government. Retrieved from http://www.acelg.org.au/upload/documents/1273461705_1271653511_LGBEN_survey_analysis.pdf (
- 2007). Measuring the immeasurable—A survey of sustainability indices. Ecological Economics, 63(1), 1–8. , & (
- 2004). Execution: The discipline of getting things done (excerpt). Afp Exchange, 24(1), 26–29. , , & (
- 1987). Our common future. World Commission on Environment and Development; pp. 8–9. (
- City of Coral Springs (n.d.). Community of excellence—Coral Springs. Retrieved from http://www.coralsprings.org/baldrige/index.cfm
- City of Marion. (2011). Broad horizons bright future—Sustainable success. Marion, South Australia, Australia: City of Marion.
- 2002). Indicators of sustainable development: Guidelines and methodologies. New York, NY: United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs. (
- EFQM. (n.d.). EFQM shares what works. Retrieved from http://www.efqm.org/en/
- 2008). Environmental performance index. New Haven, CT: Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy. , , , , , & (
- Global Reporting Initiative. (2002). The Global Reporting Initiative—An overview. Retrieved from http://www.globalreporting.org/
- 2001). Defining thresholds for freshwater sustainability indicators within the context of South African water resource management. Paper presented at the 2nd WARFA/Waternet Symposium: Integrated Water Resource Management: Theory, Practice, Cases. Cape Town, South Africa. , & (
- Hobart City Council. (n.d.). Hobart City Council's business excellence journey. Hobart, Tasmania, Australia: Hobart City Council.
- 1992). On designing socioecological indicators. Society and Environment: A Swedish Research Perspective. Boston, MA: Kluwer Academic. , & (
- 2003). Measuring sustainable development using process models. Managerial Auditing Journal, 18, 649–656. , & (
- 1996). Linking the balanced scorecard to strategy. California Management Review, 39(1), 53–79, at p. 78. , & (
- 2000). A policy scenario analysis of sustainable agricultural development options: A case study for Nepal. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal, 18(2), 111–124. , & (
- 2004). Indicators of sustainability: Challenges and opportunities at the interface of science and policy. Environmental Management, 33, 294–305. , & (
- 1998). Indicators and information systems for sustainable development: A report to the Balaton Group. Hartland, VT: The Sustainability Institute; pp. 1–25. (
- National Institute of Standards and Technology. (2011). 2011–2012 criteria for performance excellence. Baldrige Performance Excellence Program. Gaithersburg, MD: Author.
- New Mexico Environment Department. (2011). Green Zia Environmental Leadership Program Handbook. Santa Fe, NM: New Mexico Environment Department.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. (2002). An update for the OECD Composite Leading Indidiffering cators. Short-term Economic Statistics Division, Statistics Directorate.
- 2007, Winter). Quality toolbox: A framework for business sustainability. Environmental Quality Management, 17(2), 81–88. (
- 2009, Summer). Quality toolbox: Using leading indicators to drive sustainability performance. Environmental Quality Management, 18(4), 87–93. (
- 2011). Creating the sustainability program performance framework and related metrics. Draft manuscript (self published), p. 79. (
- 2011, Summer). Quality toolbox: Improving sustainability results with performance frameworks. Environmental Quality Management, 20(4), 81–96. , & (
- SAI Global. (2007). The business excellence framework. Sydney, Australia: SAI Global Limited.
- 2005). Uncertainty and sensitivity analysis techniques as tools for the quality assessment of composite indicators. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A (Statistics in Society), 168, 307–323. , , & (
- 2009). An overview of sustainability assessment methodologies. Ecological Indicators, 9(2), 189–212. , , , & (
- United Nations. (2000). United Nations Millennium Declaration. United Nations General Assembly Resolution 55/2.
- 2006). The Flagstaff District, Grand Canyon Region case study. Gaithersburg, MD: National Institute of Standards and Technology. , , , , , & (
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development. (1997). Signals of change: Business progress toward sustainable development. Geneva, Switzerland: Author.