Crown–rump length discordance and adverse perinatal outcome in twins: analysis of the Southwest Thames Obstetric Research Collaborative (STORK) multiple pregnancy cohort
Article first published online: 3 MAY 2013
Copyright © 2013 ISUOG. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology
Volume 41, Issue 6, pages 621–626, June 2013
How to Cite
D'Antonio, F., Khalil, A., Dias, T., Thilaganathan, B. and the Southwest Thames Obstetric Research Collaborative (STORK) (2013), Crown–rump length discordance and adverse perinatal outcome in twins: analysis of the Southwest Thames Obstetric Research Collaborative (STORK) multiple pregnancy cohort. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol, 41: 621–626. doi: 10.1002/uog.12430
- Issue published online: 27 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 3 MAY 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 14 FEB 2013 05:44AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JAN 2013
- 1Twins: prevalence, problems, and preterm births. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2010; 203: 305–315., , , , .
- 2Discordant twins: diagnosis, evaluation and management. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012; 206: 10–20., , .
- 3Morbidity and mortality of discordant twins up to 34 weeks of gestational age. Eur J Pediatr 1996; 155: 224–229., , , , , .
- 4Outcome of twin pregnancies according to intrapair birth weight differences. Obstet Gynecol 1999; 94: 1006–1010., , .
- 5Perinatal outcome, placental pathology, and severity of discordance in monochorionic and dichorionic twins. Obstet Gynecol 2001; 97: 310–315., , .
- 6Size-discordant twin pairs have higher perinatal mortality rates than nondiscordant pairs. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2002; 187: 1173–1178., , .
- 7Fetal and neonatal mortality among twin gestations in the United States: the role of intrapair birth weight discordance. Obstet Gynecol 2002; 100: 474–480., , , , , .
- 8The ninety-fifth percentile for growth discordance predicts complications of twin pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2002; 187: 667–671., , , , , , .
- 9The effect of birth weight discordance on twin neonatal mortality. Obstet Gynecol 2003; 101: 570–574., .
- 10Is discordant growth in twins an independent risk factor for adverse neonatal outcome? Obstet Gynecol 2004; 103: 71–76., , , , .
- 11The Northwestern twin chorionicity study: testing the ‘placental crowding’ hypothesis. J Perinat Med 2006; 34: 158–161., , , , .
- 12Malone FD; Perinatal Ireland Research Consortium. Definition of intertwin birth weight discordance. Obstet Gynecol 2011; 118: 94–103., , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 13Intertwin disparity in fetal size in monochorionic and dichorionic pregnancies. Obstet Gynecol 1998; 91: 82–85., , , , .
- 14First trimester prediction of growth discordance in twin gestations. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2003; 189: 706–709., , , , , .
- 15Growth discrepancy in twins in the first trimester of pregnancy. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2005; 26: 512–516., , , , .
- 16Clinical significance of first trimester crown–rump length disparity in dichorionic twin gestations. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004; 191: 1437–1440., , , , .
- 17Clinical consequences of first-trimester growth discordance in twins. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2005; 119: 56–59., , , .
- 18The association of crown–rump length discordance in twin gestations with adverse perinatal outcomes. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2007; 197: 369.e1–4., .
- 19First and third trimester ultrasound in the prediction of birthweight discordance in dichorionic twins. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2008; 138: 34–38., , .
- 20Relationship of intertwin crown–rump length discrepancy to chorionicity, fetal demise and birth-weight discordance. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2009; 34:131–135., , , , .
- 21Twin growth discrepancy in early pregnancy. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2009; 34: 38–42., , , , .
- 22Discordance of first-trimester crown–rump length is a predictor of adverse outcomes in structurally normal euploid dichorionic twins. J Ultrasound Med 2010; 29: 1439–1443., , , , , .
- 23Crown–rump length discordance in twins in the first trimester and its correlation with perinatal complications. J Res Med Sci 2011; 16: 1224–1227., .
- 24Prediction of selective fetal growth restriction and twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome in monochorionic twins. BJOG 2012; 119: 417–421., , , , , .
- 25Can discordance in CRL at the first trimester predict birth weight discordance in twin pregnancies? J Perinat Med 2012; 40: 489–493., , , .
- 26First-trimester growth discordance and adverse pregnancy outcome in dichorionic twins. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2013; 41: 627–631., , , .
- 27First-trimester ultrasound dating of twin pregnancy: are singleton charts reliable? BJOG 2010; 117: 979–984., , , , .
- 28First-trimester ultrasound determination of chorionicity in twin pregnancy. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2011; 38: 530–532., , , , , .
- 29Estimation of fetal weight with the use of head, body, and femur measurements – a prospective study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1985; 151: 333–337., , , , .
- 30New birthweight and head circumference centiles for gestational ages 24 to 42 weeks. Early Hum Dev 1987; 15: 45–52., , , , .
- 31National Collaborating Centre for Women's and Children's Health. Multiple pregnancy. The management of twin and triplet pregnancies in the antenatal period. Commissioned by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence, September 2011.
- 32Guideline Development Group. Antenatal care for twin and triplet pregnancies: summary of NICE guidance. BMJ 2011; 343: d5714., , , ;
- 33Is it normal for multiples to be smaller than singletons? Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2004; 18: 613–623.
- 34Increased nuchal translucency in euploid fetuses – what should we be telling the parents? Prenat Diagn 2010; 30: 93–102., , , .
- 35First trimester fetal head and trunk volume predict growth disturbance in twin pregnancy. Prenat Diagn 2011; 31: 543–547., , , , , , .
- 36First-trimester ultrasound examination and the outcome of monochorionic twin pregnancies. Prenat Diagn 2007; 27: 922–925., , , , .
- 37Discordance in nuchal translucency thickness in the prediction of severe twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2007; 29: 527–532., , , , .
- 38Nuchal translucency thickness and crown rump length discordance for the prediction of outcome in monochorionic diamniotic pregnancies. Early Hum Dev 2011; 87: 27–30., , , , , .
- 39Ductus venosus flow at 11–13 weeks in the prediction of birth weight discordance in monochorionic twins. J Perinat Med 2011; 39: 467–470., , , .