Ultrasonographic anatomy of perineal structures during pregnancy and immediately following obstetric injury
Article first published online: 22 AUG 2008
Copyright © 2008 ISUOG. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology
Volume 32, Issue 4, pages 527–534, September 2008
How to Cite
Örnö, A.-K., Maršál, K. and Herbst, A. (2008), Ultrasonographic anatomy of perineal structures during pregnancy and immediately following obstetric injury. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol, 32: 527–534. doi: 10.1002/uog.6122
- Issue published online: 22 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 22 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 MAY 2008
- Researchers in the Public Health Service from the Swedish Government and from the Region Skåne.
- Hitachi Ultrasound Holding AG, Zug, Switzerland
- 1Anal-sphincter disruption during vaginal delivery. N Engl J Med 1993; 329: 1905–1911., , , , .
- 2Anal incontinence after vaginal delivery: a five-year prospective cohort study. Obstet Gynecol 2004; 104: 1397–1402., , , , , .
- 3Parity, mode of delivery, and pelvic floor disorders. Obstet Gynecol 2006; 107: 1253–1260., , , , .
- 4Diagnosis of anal sphincter tears to prevent fecal incontinence: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2005; 105: 6–13., , , .
- 5Obstetric anal sphincter injury: prospective evaluation of incidence. Dis Colon Rectum 1999; 42: 1537–1543., , , , .
- 6Risk factors for obstetric anal sphincter injury: a prospective study. Birth 2006; 33: 117–122., , , .
- 7A Textbook of Human Anatomy. P. Blaiston Son & Co: Philadelphia, PA, 1880; 353..
- 8Anatomy of the perineal body. Dis Colon Rectum 1973; 16: 444–454., .
- 9Perineal body measurement improves evaluation of anterior sphincter lesions during endoanal ultrasonography. Dis Colon Rectum 1998; 41: 705–713., , , , .
- 10Anal ultrasound and endosonographic measurement of perineal body thickness: a new evaluation for fecal incontinence in females. Surg Endosc 2004; 18: 650–654., , , , , , 3rd, , .
- 11Anchoring mechanisms of the ano-rectal region. Part I. S Afr Med J 1967; 41: 1227–1232..
- 12Functional anatomy of the pelvic floor. In Imaging Pelvic Floor Disorders, BartramCI, DeLanceyJOL (eds). Springer: Berlin, 2003; 27–38..
- 13Vaginal endosonography. New approach to image the undisturbed anal sphincter. Dis Colon Rectum 1994; 37: 1296–1299., , , , .
- 14Comparison of transanal and external perineal ultrasonography. Eur Radiol 2001; 11: 1165–1170., , , .
- 15Transvaginal sonography of the anal sphincter: reliable, or not. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1999; 173: 179–185., .
- 16Levator ani muscle anatomy evaluated by origin–insertion pairs. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004; 104: 168–173., , .
- 17The dispute about the external sphincter and the urogenital diaphragm. J Urology 1999; 162: 1942–1945., , , .
- 18Appearance of the levator ani muscle subdivisions in magnetic resonance images. Obstet Gynecol 2006; 107: 1064–1069., , , , , .
- 19Anatomy and function of the anal longitudinal muscle. Br J Surg 1992; 79: 882–884., .
- 20Stimulated gracilis neosphincter operation. Initial experience, pitfalls, and complications. Dis Colon Rectum 1996; 39: 957–964., , , , , , , , .
- 21Textbook recommendations for preventing and treating perineal injury at vaginal delivery. Obstet Gynecol 2006; 107: 361–366., , , .
- 22Polyglyconate (Maxon) versus nylon suture in midline abdominal incision closure: a prospective randomized trial. Am Surg 1995; 61: 980–983., .
- 23Epidemiology of surgically managed pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence. Obstet Gynecol 1997; 89: 501–506., , , , .
- 24Structural anatomy of the posterior pelvic compartment as it relates to rectocele. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1999; 180: 815–823..
- 25Pelvic floor imaging. Radiology 2001; 218: 621–641., , .
- 26Repair techniques for obstetric anal sphincter injuries: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2006; 107: 1261–1268., , , , , .
- 27Intraobserver and interobserver agreement in the diagnosis of anal sphincter tears by postpartum endosonography. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2003; 21: 375–377., , , , , .