Intrauterine programming of the cardiovascular system
Version of Record online: 22 AUG 2008
Copyright © 2008 ISUOG. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology
Volume 32, Issue 4, pages 481–484, September 2008
How to Cite
Gardiner, H. M. (2008), Intrauterine programming of the cardiovascular system. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol, 32: 481–484. doi: 10.1002/uog.6155
- Issue online: 22 AUG 2008
- Version of Record online: 22 AUG 2008
- 1Are poor living conditions in childhood and adolescence an important risk factor for arteriosclerotic heart disease? Br J Prev Social Med 1977; 31: 91–95..
- 2Failure to realise growth potential in utero and adult obesity in relation to blood pressure in 50 year old Swedish men. BMJ 1996; 312: 401–406., , .
- 3Initiation of hypertension in utero and its amplification throughout life. BMJ 1993; 306: 24–27., , , , , , .
- 4Fetal origins of adult disease (Mini symposium) Heart 2005; 91: 863–874.. (Ed)
- 5Epigenetic epidemiology of the developmental origins hypothesis. Annu Rev Nutr 2007; 27: 363–388., .
- 6Living with the past: evolution, development and patterns of disease. Science 2004; 305: 1733–1736., .
- 7Endothelial dysfunction and cardiovascular disease: the role of predictive adaptive responses. Heart 2005; 91: 864–866., .
- 8Anomalous iliac compliance in children with a single umbilical artery. Br Heart J 1976; 38: 510–515., , , .
- 9Iliac arteries in children with a single umbilical artery. Structure, calcifications, and early atherosclerotic lesions. Arch Dis Child 1974; 49: 671–679., .
- 10Passive smoking and impaired endothelium-dependent arterial dilatation in healthy young adults. N Engl J Med 1996; 334: 150–154., , , , , , .
- 11Impairment of endothelium-dependent dilation is an early event in children with familial hypercholesterolemia and is related to the lipoprotein(a) level. J Clin Invest 1994; 93: 53–55., , , , , .
- 12Childhood origins of endothelial dysfunction. Heart 2005; 91: 1272–1274., .
- 13Arterial reactivity is significantly impaired in normotensive young adults after successful repair of aortic coarctation in childhood. Circulation 1994; 89: 1745–1750., , , , , , .
- 14Ambulatory blood pressure, left ventricular mass, and conduit artery function late after successful repair of coarctation of the aorta. J Am Coll Cardiol 2003; 41: 2259–2265., , , , , , , .
- 15Fetal origins of reduced arterial distensibility in the donor twin in twin–twin transfusion syndrome. Lancet 2000; 355: 1157–1158., , , , .
- 16Twin-twin transfusion syndrome: the influence of intrauterine laser photocoagulation on arterial distensibility in childhood. Circulation 2003; 107: 1906–1911., , , , , , , .
- 17Micro-architecture and composition of artery walls: relationship to location, diameter and the distribution of mechanical stress. J Hypertens 1992; 10: S101–S104., , , .
- 18Computer analysis of three-dimensional power angiography images of foetal cerebral, lung and placental circulation in normal and high-risk pregnancy. Ultrasound Med Biol 2005; 31: 321–327., , , , , .
- 19Ventriculo-vascular physiology of the growth restricted fetus. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2001; 18: 47–53., , .
- 20Relation of arterial stiffness with gestational age and birth weight. Arch Dis Child 2004; 89: 217–221., , , .
- 21Impaired endothelial function and increased carotid stiffness in 9-year-old children with low birthweight. Circulation 2000; 102: 2739–2744., , , .
- 22Impaired vascular growth in late adolescence after intrauterine growth restriction. Circulation 2005; 111: 2623–2628., , , .
- 23Abnormal retinal optic nerve morphology in young adults after intrauterine growth restriction. Pediatr Res 2004; 56: 139–143., , , .
- 24Retinal vascular calibre and the risk of coronary heart disease-related death. Heart 2006; 92: 1583–1587., , , , , , .
- 25Twin to twin transfusion syndrome. Role of the fetal renin-angiotensin system. Am J Path 2000; 156: 629–636., , , , , , , , , .
- 26Estimation of fractional moving blood volume in fetal lung using power Doppler ultrasound, methodological aspects. Ultrasound Med Biol 2003; 29: 1551–1559., , , .
- 27Standardization of power Doppler quantification of blood flow in the human fetus using the aorta and inferior vena cava. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2005; 26: 33–43., , , .
- 28Validation of fractional moving blood volume measurement with power Doppler ultrasound in an experimental sheep model. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2004; 23: 363–368., , , , , , .
- 29Quantification of power Doppler and the index ‘fractional moving blood volume’ (FMBV). Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2004; 23: 323–326..
- 30Non-invasive assessment of cardiovascular disease in diabetes mellitus. Lancet 1997; 350: SI14–SI19., , , .
- 31Aortic compliance measurements: a non-invasive indicator of atherosclerosis? Lancet 1994; 343: 1447., , .
- 32Circulatory changes in the fetal aorta after maternal smoking. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1987; 94: 301–305., .
- 33Impaired synthesis of elastin in walls of the aorta and large conduit arteries during early development as an initiating event in pathogenesis of systemic hypertension. Lancet 1997; 350: 953–955., .
- 34Maternal and neonatal influences on, and reproducibility of, neonatal aortic pulse wave velocity. Hypertension 2007; 49: 225–231., , , , , .
- 35Heart rate response profiles during head upright tilt test in infants with apparent life threatening events. Arch Dis Child 1997; 76: 27–30., , , .