Transperineal ultrasound imaging in prolonged second stage of labor with occipitoanterior presenting fetuses: how well does the ‘angle of progression’ predict the mode of delivery?
Article first published online: 17 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2009 ISUOG. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology
Volume 33, Issue 3, pages 326–330, March 2009
How to Cite
Kalache, K. D., Dückelmann, A. M., Michaelis, S. A. M., Lange, J., Cichon, G. and Dudenhausen, J. W. (2009), Transperineal ultrasound imaging in prolonged second stage of labor with occipitoanterior presenting fetuses: how well does the ‘angle of progression’ predict the mode of delivery?. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol, 33: 326–330. doi: 10.1002/uog.6294
- Issue published online: 26 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 17 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 OCT 2008
- 1Effect of mode of delivery in nulliparous women on neonatal intracranial injury. N Engl J Med 1999; 341: 1709–1714., , , .
- 2Delivery of the impacted head of the fetus at caesarean section after prolonged obstructed labour: a randomised comparative study of two methods. J Obstet Gynaecol 2002; 22: 375–378., , , , , , .
- 3Early maternal and neonatal morbidity associated with operative delivery in second stage of labour: a cohort study. Lancet 2001; 358: 1203–1207., , , , .
- 4Assessment of fetal head descent in labor with transperineal ultrasound. Teaching DVD. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists: Washington, DC, 2003., , , .
- 5Dystocia in late labor: determining fetal position by clinical and ultrasonic techniques. Am J Perinatol 1989; 6: 316–319., , , , , .
- 6Ultrasound imaging of the pelvic floor. Part I: two-dimensional aspects. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2004; 23: 80–92..
- 7Intrapartum sonography and persistent occiput posterior position: a study of 408 deliveries. Obstet Gynecol 1998; 91: 746–749., , .
- 8Intrapartum fetal head position II: comparison between transvaginal digital examination and transabdominal ultrasound assessment during the second stage of labor. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2002; 19: 264–268., , , .
- 9Intrapartum fetal head position I: comparison between transvaginal digital examination and transabdominal ultrasound assessment during the active stage of labor. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2002; 19: 258–263., , , .
- 10Determination of fetal occiput position by ultrasound during the second stage of labor. J Matern Fetal Med 2001; 10: 283–286., , , , , .
- 11Intrapartum sonography to determine fetal head position. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2002; 12: 172–177., , , , .
- 12Comparison of transvaginal digital examination with intrapartum sonography to determine fetal head position before instrumental delivery. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2003; 21: 437–440., , , , .
- 13Intrapartum ultrasound for the examination of the fetal head position in normal and obstructed labor. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2003; 13: 59–63., , , , .
- 14Vaginal versus ultrasound examination of fetal occiput position during the second stage of labor. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004; 191: 521–524., , , , .
- 15Fetal head position during the second stage of labor: comparison of digital vaginal examination and transabdominal ultrasonographic examination. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2005; 123: 193–197., , , , , .
- 16Comparison of transvaginal sonography with digital examination and transabdominal sonography for the determination of fetal head position in the second stage of labor. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2005; 193: 381–386., , , , , , .
- 17A pilot study using intra-partum ultrasound to aid in the definition of the position of the fetal head before operative delivery. J Obstet Gynaecol 2007; 27: 568–570., , .
- 18Intrapartum ultrasound. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2007; 30: 123–139..
- 19Intrapartum assessment of fetal head engagement: comparison between transvaginal digital and transabdominal ultrasound determinations. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2003; 21: 430–436., .
- 20Measuring engagement of the fetal head: validity and reproducibility of a new ultrasound technique. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2005; 25: 165–168., .
- 21Prediction of labor and delivery by transperineal ultrasound in pregnancies with prelabor rupture of membranes at term. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2006; 27: 387–391., , , , , , .
- 22Intrapartum translabial ultrasound (ITU): sonographic landmarks and correlation with successful vacuum extraction. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2006; 28: 753–760., , , , .