The contribution of F. Gotsch and R. Romero to this article was prepared as part of their official duties as United States Government employees.
Fractional limb volume – a soft tissue parameter of fetal body composition: validation, technical considerations and normal ranges during pregnancy
Article first published online: 27 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2009 ISUOG. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology
Volume 33, Issue 4, pages 427–440, April 2009
How to Cite
Lee, W., Balasubramaniam, M., Deter, R. L., Hassan, S. S., Gotsch, F., Kusanovic, J. P., Gonçalves, L. F. and Romero, R. (2009), Fractional limb volume – a soft tissue parameter of fetal body composition: validation, technical considerations and normal ranges during pregnancy. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol, 33: 427–440. doi: 10.1002/uog.6319
- Issue published online: 23 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 27 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 OCT 2008
- Perinatology Research Branch, Division of Intramural Research, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health
- Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services
- 1The thrifty phenotype hypothesis. Br Med Bull 2001; 60: 5–20., .
- 2The midwife, the coincidence, and the hypothesis. BMJ 2003; 327: 1428–1430..
- 3Long-term consequences of low birth weight. Kidney Int Suppl 2005; 97: S107–S111., .
- 4Developmental origins of the metabolic syndrome: prediction, plasticity, and programming. Physiol Rev 2005; 85: 571–633., .
- 5Perinatal nutrition and hormone-dependent programming of food intake. Horm Res 2006; 65(Suppl 3): 83–89..
- 6Intrauterine growth as estimated from liveborn birth-weight data at 24 to 42 weeks of gestation. Pediatrics 1963; 32: 793–800., , , .
- 7Practical assessment of neonatal nutrition status beyond birth weight: an imperative for the 1990s. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1994; 101: 842–846., .
- 8Longitudinal studies of thigh circumference growth in normal fetuses. J Clin Ultrasound 1987; 15: 388–393., , , , .
- 9The cheek-to-cheek diameter in the ultrasonographic assessment of fetal growth. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1991; 165: 846–852., , , .
- 10Ultrasonographic measurements of cheek-to-cheek diameter in fetal growth disturbances. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1993; 169: 405–408., , .
- 11Three-dimensional qualitative sonographic evaluation of fetal soft tissue. Hum Reprod 2000; 15: 2438–2442., , .
- 12Subcutaneous tissue thickness cannot be used to distinguish abnormalities of fetal growth. Obstet Gynecol 1992; 80: 268–271., , , , , .
- 13Prediction of fetal macrosomia using sonographically measured abdominal subcutaneous tissue thickness. J Clin Ultrasound 1997; 25: 378–382., , , , .
- 14Antepartum detection of macrosomic fetus: clinical versus sonographic, including soft-tissue measurements. Obstet Gynecol 2000; 95: 639–642., , , , , .
- 15Reduction of subcutaneous mass, but not lean mass, in normal fetuses in Denver, Colorado. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2001; 185: 839–844., , , , , , , .
- 16Differences in fat and lean mass proportions in normal and growth-restricted fetuses. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004; 191: 1459–1464., , , , , .
- 17Fetal subcutaneous tissue thickness (SCTT) in healthy and gestational diabetic pregnancies. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2003; 22: 591–597., , , , , , , , , , .
- 18Intrauterine growth restriction and fetal body composition. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2005; 26: 258–262., , , , , , , .
- 19Fetal limb volume: a new parameter to assess fetal growth and nutrition. J Ultrasound Med 1985; 4: 273–282., , .
- 20Three-dimensional ultrasound-assessed fetal thigh volumetry in predicting birth weight. Obstet Gynecol 1997; 90: 331–339., , , , , .
- 21Birthweight prediction by 3D ultrasonography: fractional limb volume. J Ultrasound Med 2001; 20: 1283–1292., , , , , .
- 22Individualized growth assessment of fetal soft tissue using fractional thigh volume. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2004; 24: 766–774., , , , , , .
- 23The fetal arm: individualized growth assessment in normal pregnancies. J Ultrasound Med 2005; 24: 817–828., , , , , , , .
- 24An analysis of transformations. J R Stat Soc Ser B 1964; 26: 211–246., .
- 25Charts of fetal size: 1. Methodology. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1994; 101: 20–34..
- 26Applied Linear Regression Models (3rd edn). The McGraw-Hill Companies: New York, 1996., , , .
- 27Measuring agreement in method comparison studies. Stat Methods Med Res 1999; 8: 135–160., .
- 28Chemical composition of newly born mammals. Nature 1950; 166: 26–29..
- 29Body composition of the reference fetus. Growth 1976; 40: 329–341.. , , .
- 30An estimate of the caloric requirements of the human fetus. Biol Neonate 1980; 38: 113–119., , .
- 31Screening for intrauterine growth retardation using ratio of mid-arm circumference to occipitofrontal circumference. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1986; 292: 1039–1040., , , , , .
- 32Mid-arm circumference and mid-arm/head circumference ratios: standard curves for anthropometric assessment of neonatal nutritional status. J Pediatr 1986; 109: 311–315., , .
- 33Neonatal morphometrics and perinatal outcome: who is growth retarded? Am J Obstet Gynecol 1987; 157: 691–693., .
- 34Use of mid-arm and head circumference to estimate gestational age and nutritional status of newborn. Ginekol Pol 1992; 63: 221–226., , , , , , .
- 35Anthropometric assessment of nutritional status in newborn infants. Discriminative value of mid arm circumference and of skinfold thickness. Early Hum Dev 1985; 11: 169–178., , , .
- 36Mid-arm circumference/head circumference ratios for identification of symptomatic LGA, AGA, and SGA newborn infants. J Pediatr 1986; 109: 316–321., , , .
- 37Differential growth of fetal tissues during the second half of pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1997; 176: 28–32., , , .
- 38Ultrasonographic estimation of fetal body composition for children of diabetic mothers. Invest Radiol 1991; 26: 722–726., .
- 39Fetal nonmuscular soft tissue: a prenatal assessment. J Ultrasound Med 1993; 4: 197–199., .
- 40Subcutaneous fat in the fetal abdomen as a predictor of growth restriction. Obstet Gynecol 1999; 94: 209–212., , , .
- 41Three-dimensional ultrasound in the assessment of normal fetal thigh volume. Ultrasound Med Biol 2003; 29: 361–366., , , , .
- 42The efficacy assessment of thigh volume in predicting intrauterine fetal growth restriction by three-dimensional ultrasound. Ultrasound Med Biol 2005; 31: 883–887., , , , .
- 43Fetal upper arm volume in predicting intrauterine growth restriction: a three-dimensional ultrasound study. Ultrasound Med Biol 2005; 31: 1435–1439., , , , .
- 44Endocrine regulation of human fetal growth: the role of mother, placenta, and fetus. Endocr Rev 2006; 27: 141–169., , , .
- 45Fetal programming of body composition and musculoskeletal development. Early Hum Dev 2005; 81: 735–744., .