Safety of ultrasonography in pregnancy: WHO systematic review of the literature and meta-analysis
Article first published online: 17 MAR 2009
Copyright © 2009 ISUOG. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology
Volume 33, Issue 5, pages 599–608, May 2009
How to Cite
Torloni, M. R., Vedmedovska, N., Merialdi, M., Betrán, A. P., Allen, T., González, R. and Platt, L. D. (2009), Safety of ultrasonography in pregnancy: WHO systematic review of the literature and meta-analysis. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol, 33: 599–608. doi: 10.1002/uog.6328
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 17 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 NOV 2008
- 1Effects on animals. In An Overview of Ultrasound: Theory, Measurement, Medical Applications, and Biological Effects, StewartHF, StratmeyerME (eds). HHS Publication: Rockville, MD, 1982; 77–102..
- 2Women's views of pregnancy ultrasound: a systematic review. Birth 2002; 29: 225–250., , , , , , .
- 3Ultrasound screening in pregnancy: a systematic review of the clinical effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and women's views. Health Technol Assess 2000; 4: i–vi, 1–193., , , , , , .
- 4Is ultrasound unsound? A review of epidemiological studies of human exposure to ultrasound. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 1995; 6: 293–298., .
- 5Epidemiological prenatal ultrasound studies. Prog Biophys Mol Biol 2007; 93: 295–300..
- 6World Health Organization. WHO Multicentre Study for the Development of Growth Standards from Fetal Life to Childhood: the Fetal Component. Geneva: WHO, 2009 (HRP Project No. A65097).
- 7, (eds). Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews for Interventions 4.2.6 [updated September 2006]. The Cochrane Library, Issue 4, 2006. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd: Chichester.
- 8Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis Of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (MOOSE) group. JAMA 2000; 283: 2008–2012., , , , , , , , , .
- 9Systematic reviews of adverse effects: framework for a structured approach. BMC Med Res Methodol 2007; 7: 32., , .
- 10WHO systematic review of maternal mortality and morbidity: methodological issues and challenges. BMC Med Res Methodol 2004; 4: 16., , , , .
- 11Empirical evidence of bias. Dimensions of methodological quality associated with estimates of treatment effects in controlled trials. JAMA 1995; 273: 408–412., , , .
- 12The Strengthening of the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies. PLoS Med 2007; 4: e296., , , , , .
- 13Meta-analysis: formulating, evaluating, combining, and reporting. Stat Med 1999; 18: 321–359..
- 14Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials 1986; 7: 177–188., .
- 15Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis. Stat Med 2002; 21: 1539–1558., .
- 16Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses. BMJ 2003; 327: 557–560., , , .
- 17Short- and long-term risks after exposure to diagnostic ultrasound in utero. Obstet Gynecol 1984; 63: 194–200., , , .
- 18The relationship of birth weight and intrauterine diagnostic ultrasound exposure. Obstet Gynecol 1988; 71: 513–517., , .
- 19Diagnostic ultrasound in pregnancy and low birthweight. Am J Perinatol 1994; 11: 297–301., , , , , .
- 20Congenital heart disease in the offspring and maternal habits and home exposures during pregnancy. Teratology 1992; 46: 447–454., .
- 21Effect of prenatal ultrasound screening on perinatal outcome. RADIUS Study Group. N Engl J Med 1993; 329: 821–827., , , , , .
- 22[Effects of B-ultrasonic radiation during pregnancy on reproductive outcome]. [Chinese]. Chung-Hua Yu Fang i Hsueh Tsa Chih [Chinese Journal of Preventive Medicine] 2000; 34: 86–88., , , , , .
- 23Safety of diagnostic ultrasound in obstetrics. Lancet 1970; 1: 1133–1134., , , .
- 24Effect of frequent prenatal ultrasound on birthweight: follow up at 1 year of age. Western Australian Pregnancy Cohort (Raine) Working Group. Lancet 1996; 348: 482., , , .
- 25Characterisation of the possible effect on birthweight following frequent prenatal ultrasound examinations. Early Hum Dev 1996; 45: 203–214., , , .
- 26Effects of frequent ultrasound during pregnancy: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 1993; 342: 887–891., , , , .
- 27Effects of repeated prenatal ultrasound examinations on childhood outcome up to 8 years of age: follow-up of a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2004; 364: 2038–2044., , , , , .
- 28Routine ultrasonography in utero and subsequent growth during childhood. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 1993; 3: 6–10., , , , .
- 29In utero exposure to diagnostic ultrasound: a 6-year follow-up. Radiology 1988; 166: 687–690., , , .
- 30Routine ultrasonography in utero and school performance at age 8–9 years. Lancet 1992; 339: 85–89., , , , .
- 31Routine ultrasound screening in pregnancy and the children's subsequent neurologic development. Obstet Gynecol 1998; 91(5 Pt 1): 750–756., , , , .
- 32Routine ultrasonography in utero and speech development. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 1994; 4: 101–103., , , .
- 33Case-control study of prenatal ultrasonography exposure in children with delayed speech. CMAJ Canadian Medical Association Journal 1993; 149: 1435–1440., , .
- 34Risk factors for astrocytic glioma and primitive neuroectodermal tumor of the brain in young children: a report from the Children's Cancer Group. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 1994; 3: 197–204., , , , .
- 35Ultrasound examinations in pregnancy and childhood cancer. Lancet 1984; 2: 999–1000., , , , , , , , , .
- 36Obstetric ultrasound and childhood malignancies. Lancet 1984; 2: 997–999., .
- 37Prenatal ultrasound examinations and risk of childhood leukaemia: case-control study. BMJ 2000; 320: 282–283., , , , .
- 38Diagnostic X-ray and ultrasound exposure and risk of childhood cancer. Br J Cancer 1994; 70: 531–536., , , , , , .
- 39Diagnostic X-rays and ultrasound exposure and risk of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia by immunophenotype. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2002; 11: 177–185., , , , , , , , .
- 40Pregnancy ultrasound and childhood cancer: a second report from the Oxford Survey of Childhood Cancers. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1995; 102: 831–832., , , .
- 41Prenatal ultrasound and the risk of childhood brain tumour and its subtypes. Br J Cancer 2008; 98: 1285–1287., , , , , .
- 42Does prenatal sonography affect intellectual performance? Epidemiology 2005; 16: 304–310., , , , .
- 43Prenatal ultrasound scanning and the risk of schizophrenia and other psychoses. Epidemiology 2007; 18: 577–582., , , , , .
- 44Randomised controlled trial of Doppler ultrasound screening of placental perfusion during pregnancy. Lancet 1992; 340: 1299–1303., , .
- 45A randomised controlled trial of Doppler ultrasound velocimetry of the umbilical artery in low risk pregnancies. Doppler French Study Group. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1997; 104: 419–424.
- 46Randomised comparison of routine versus highly selective use of Doppler ultrasound in low risk pregnancies. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1993; 100: 130–133., , , , .
- 47A randomized controlled trial on the clinical value of umbilical Doppler velocimetry in antenatal care. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1994; 170: 625–634., , .
- 48Ultrasonic measurement of fetal body size. A randomized controlled trial. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1980; 59: 177–179., .
- 49Ultrasound during pregnancy and subsequent childhood non-right handedness: a meta-analysis. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 1999; 13: 241–246., .
- 50Routine ultrasound screening in pregnancy and the children's subsequent handedness. Early Hum Dev 1998; 50: 233–245., , , , .
- 51Routine ultrasonography in utero and subsequent handedness and neurological development. BMJ 1993; 307: 159–164., , , , .
- 52Ultrasound during pregnancy and birthweight, childhood malignancies and neurological development. Ultrasound Med Biol 1999; 25: 1025–1031., .
- 53Is an ultrasound assessment of gestational age at the first antenatal visit of value? A randomised clinical trial. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1999; 106: 1273–1279., , , , , .
- 54Routine obstetric ultrasound examinations in South Africa: cost and effect on perinatal outcome—a prospective randomised controlled trial. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1996; 103: 501–507., , .
- 55Controlled trial of ultrasound screening for light for gestational age (LGA) infants in late pregnancy. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 1986; 23: 307–313., , , .
- 56Birth weights of fetuses exposed to diagnostic ultrasound. J Ultrasound Med 1984; 3: 395–396..
- 57Teratogenic effects of ionizing radiations and ultrasound. Prog Clin Biol Res 1980; 44: 67–76..
- 58A survey of the acoustic outputs of diagnostic ultrasound equipment in current clinical use. Ultrasound Med Biol 1995; 21: 699–705., , , .
- 59Obstetric ultrasonography: a biophysical consideration of patient safety—the “rules” have changed. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1998; 179: 241–254., , .
- 60Ultrasound and adverse effects. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2002; 20: 102–103., , , , .
- 61Intrauterine effects of ultrasound: human epidemiology. Teratology 1999; 59: 252–260..
- 62US Dept of Health and Human Services. Diagnostic Ultrasound Imaging in Pregnancy. In: Public Health Service NIH (ed.). NIH Publication: Washington, 1984; 12–13.
- 63Update on the safety of ultrasound in obstetrics. Semin Roentgenol 1990; 25: 294–298..
- 64Randomised controlled trial of ultrasonographic screening in pregnancy. Lancet 1984; 2: 207–211., , , , , , , .
- 65Ultrasound screening in pregnancy: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 1984; 1: 1347., , , .
- 66Routine ultrasound fetal examination in pregnancy: the ‘Alesund’ randomized controlled trial. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2000; 15: 473–478., , , .
- 67Routine ultrasonography in utero and subsequent vision and hearing at primary school age. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 1992; 2: 243–247., , , , , .
- 68Routine ultrasound screening in pregnancy and the children's subsequent growth, vision and hearing. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1997; 104: 1267–1272., , , .
- 69Effects of routine one-stage ultrasound screening in pregnancy: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 1988; 2: 585–588., , , , , , .
- 70Ultrasonic dating of pregnancies: effect on incidence of SGA diagnoses. A randomised controlled trial. Early Hum Dev 1992; 30: 75–79., , .
- 71Pregnancy outcome among non-participants in a trial on ultrasound screening. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 1998; 11: 104–109., , , , .
- 72Ultrasound screening and perinatal mortality: controlled trial of systematic one-stage screening in pregnancy. The Helsinki Ultrasound Trial. [See comment]. Lancet 1990; 336: 387–391., , , .
- 73Use of antenatal care services in a controlled ultrasound screening trial. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1995; 74: 12–14..
- 74A randomized trial of prenatal ultrasonographic screening: impact on maternal management and outcome. RADIUS (Routine Antenatal Diagnostic Imaging with Ultrasound) Study Group. [See comment]. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1993; 169: 483–489., , , , , .
- 75A randomized controlled trial in a hospital population of ultrasound measurement screening for the small for dates baby. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 1993; 33: 374–378..
- 76A randomized trial of routine prenatal ultrasound. Obstet Gynecol 1990; 76: 189–194., , .
- 77A randomized trial using ultrasound to identify the high-risk fetus in a low-risk population. Obstet Gynecol 2003; 101: 626–632., , , , , .
- 78Sinistrality- a side-effect of prenatal sonography: a comparative study of young men. Epidemiology 2001; 12: 618–623., , , , .
- 79First trimester ultrasound scans and left-handedness. Epidemiology 2002; 13: 370., , , , .
- 80Is an excessive number of prenatal echographies a risk for fetal growth? Early Hum Dev 2005; 81: 689–693., , , , , , , , .
- 81Routine ultrasound screening in the third trimester: a population-based study. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2005; 84: 1154–1158., , .
- 82Routine or selective ultrasound examinations in early pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 1987; 69: 747–750., , .
- 83A community-based obstetric ultrasound service. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2004; 84: 23–31., , , , .
- 84Effects of two ultrasound scanning regimens on the management of pregnancy. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1984; 91: 885–890..
- 85Risk of stillbirth from medications, illnesses and medical procedures. [See comment]. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 1999; 13: 421–430., , .
- 86The Denver developmental screening test. J Pediatr 1967; 71: 181–191., .