A review of climate geoengineering appraisals
Article first published online: 15 OCT 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 597–615, November/December 2012
How to Cite
Bellamy, R., Chilvers, J., Vaughan, N. E. and Lenton, T. M. (2012), A review of climate geoengineering appraisals. WIREs Clim Change, 3: 597–615. doi: 10.1002/wcc.197
- Issue published online: 15 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 15 OCT 2012
- 1Royal Society. Geoengineering the climate: Science, Governance and Uncertainty. London: The Royal Society; 2009.
- 4House of Commons Science and Technology Committee. The Regulation of Geoengineering. London: The Stationary Office; 2010.
- 5United States Government Accountability Office. Climate Engineering: Technical Status, Future Directions, and Potential Responses. Washington DC: Government Accountability Office; 2011.
- 6Umweltbundesamt. Geoengineering: Effective Climate Protection or Megalomania? Dessau-Roßlau: Umweltbundesamt; 2011.
- 7The Fifth Branch: Science Advisors as Policy Makers. Cambridge: Harvard University Press; 1990.
- 8Empowering Designs: Towards More Progressive Appraisal of Sustainability. STEPS Working Paper 3. Brighton: STEPS Centre; 2007., , , , , ,
- 9Risk and social learning: Reification to engagement. In: , , eds. Social Theories of Risk. New York: Greenwood Press; 1992, 275–297.
- 11Clio and the economics of QWERTY. Am Econ Rev 1985, 75:332–337.
- 13See-Through Science: Why Public Engagement Needs to Move Upstream. London: Demos; 2004.,
- 14Risk as globalising ‘democratic’ discourse: framing subjects and citizens. In: Leach M, Scoones I, Wynne B, eds. Science and Citizens: Globalization and the Challenge of Engagement. London: Zed Books; 2005, 66–82.
- 15Fixing the Sky: The Checkered History of Weather and Climate Control. New York: Columbia University Press; 2010.
- 16Worlds in the Making: the Evolution of the Universe. New York: Harper & Brothers; 1908.
- 17Man versus Climate. Moscow: Peace; 1960.,
- 19United Nations. Convention on the Prohibition of Military or Any Other Hostile Use of Environmental Modification Techniques, 1976. Available at: http://www.un-documents.net/enmod.htm. (Accessed October 8, 2012).
- 21President's Science Advisory Committee Restoring the Quality of Our Environment: Report of the Environmental Pollution Panel. Washington DC: The White House; 1965.
- 22Geoengineering the climate: history and prospect. Annu Rev Environ Resour 2000, 25: 245–284.
- 24Oxford English Dictionary. April 2010. Oxford University Press. Available at: http://oxforddictionaries.com/ definition/english/geoengineering. (Accessed October 8, 2012).
- 25National Academy of Sciences Panel on Policy Implications of Greenhouse Warming (NAS) Policy Implications of Greenhouse Warming: Mitigation, Adaptation, and the Science Base. Washington DC: National Academy of Sciences Press; 1992.
- 27American Meteorological Society. Policy statement on geoengineering the climate system, 2009. Available at: http://www.ametsoc.org/policy/2009geoengineeringclimate_amsstatement.pdf. (Accessed October 8, 2012).
- 32Bipartisan Policy Centre Task Force on Climate Remediation Research Geoengineering: a national strategic plan for research on the potential effectiveness, feasibility, and consequences of climate remediation technologies, 2011. Available at: http://www.bipartisanpolicy.org/library/report/task-force-climate-remediation-research. (Accessed October 8, 2012).
- 34Solar Radiation Management Governance Initiative. Solar radiation management: the governance of research, 2011. Available at: http://www.srmgi.org/downloads/. (Accessed October 8, 2012).
- 35Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Meeting Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Expert Meeting on Geoengineering. In: , , , , , , , , , , et al., eds. Technical Support Unit, Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research. Germany: Potsdam; 2012, 99.
- 36Climate Change and Geoengineering Governance. NTS Insight. Singapore: RSIS Centre for Non-Traditional Security (NTS) Studies; 2011.
- 45Active Stabilization of Climate: Inexpensive, Low Risk, Near-Term Options for Preventing Global Warming and Ice Ages via Technologically Varied Solar Radiative Forcing. Livermore, CA: Lawrence Livermore National Library; 2003., , , ,
- 46An Analysis of Climate Engineering as a Response to Climate Change. Frederiksberg: Copenhagen Consensus Center; 2009.,
- 47The Climate Fix: What Scientists and Politicians Won't Tell You about Global Warming. New York: Basic Books; 2010.
- 48Is ‘arming the future’ with geoengineering really the lesser evil? Some doubts about the ethics of intentionally manipulating the climate system. In: , , , , eds. Climate Ethics. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2010.
- 50Natural Environment Research Council. Experiment Earth? Report on a public dialogue on geoengineering, 2010. Available at: http://www.nerc.ac.uk/about/consult/geoengineering.asp.
- 51Public perceptions of climate change and energy futures in Britain: summary findings of a survey, January to March , 2010. Technical Report (Understanding Risk Working Paper 10–01, School of Psychology, Cardiff University., , , ,
- 53Public engagement on geoengineering research: preliminary report on the SPICE deliberative workshops, Working Paper, 2011.,
- 5720 reasons why geoengineering may be a bad idea. Bull At Sci 2008, 64:14–18.
- 67‘Experiment Earth?’ Reflections on a public dialogue on geoengineering, Working Paper, 2011,, ,
- 68Climate models and their evaluation. In: , , , , , , , , eds. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK and New York: Cambridge University Press; 2007., , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 69Value in Ethics and Economics. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press; 1993.
- 70Megaprojects and Risk: An Anatomy of Ambition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2003., ,
- 722010, Multi-criteria analysis: ignorance or negligence? Australasian Transport Research Forum Proceedings, 1–9.,
- 75Three types of risk assessment and the emergence of post-normal science. In: , , eds. Social Theories of Risk. New York: Greenwood Press; 1992, 251–273.,
- 79New Studies in Philosophy, Politics, Economics and the History of Ideas. Chicago: Chicago University Press; 1978.
- 80Critical Decision Making: A New Theory of Social Choice. London: Pinter; 1982.
- 81The Theory of Communicative Action. London: Heinemann; 1984.
- 83Creating Better Futures: Scenario Planning as a Tool for a Better Tomorrow. Oxford: EH Business; 2002.
- 84Q Methodology. Newbury Park, CA: Sage; 1988.,
- 85Situating knowledges, sharing values and reaching collective decisions: the cultural turn in environmental decision making. In: , , , , eds. Cultural Turns/Geographical Turns: Perspectives on Cultural Geography. Harlow: Prentice Hall; 2000.
- 87The Social Control of Technology. New York: Francis Pinter; 1980.
- 88Governing risky technologies. In: , , , eds. Critical Risk Research: Practices, Politics and Ethics. Chichester, West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell; 2012.,
- 89Real-time technology assessment. Technol Soc 2002, 24:93–109.,
- 91National Nanotechnology Initiative What is nanotechnology? 2007. Available at: http://www.nano.gov/html/facts/whatisnano.html. (Accessed March 26, 2012).
- 92States of knowledge: the Co-Production of Science and Social Order. New York: Routledge; 2004.
- 942009, Memorandum on draft principles for the conduct of geoengineering research. House of Commons Science and Technology Committee enquiry into The Regulation of Geoengineering., , , ,
- 95Asilomar Scientific Organising Committee The Asilomar Conference Recommendations on Principles for Research into Climate Engineering Techniques. Washington DC: Climate Institute; 2010.