The copyright line in this article was changed on 26 August 2014 after online publication.
Rethinking climate engineering categorization in the context of climate change mitigation and adaptation
Version of Record online: 23 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. WIREs Climate Change published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change
Volume 5, Issue 1, pages 23–35, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Boucher, O., Forster, P. M., Gruber, N., Ha-Duong, M., Lawrence, M. G., Lenton, T. M., Maas, A. and Vaughan, N. E. (2014), Rethinking climate engineering categorization in the context of climate change mitigation and adaptation. WIREs Clim Change, 5: 23–35. doi: 10.1002/wcc.261
- Issue online: 16 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 23 OCT 2013
- 1Fixing the sky: the checkered history of weather and climate control. New York: Columbia University Press; 2010, 325 p..
- 2President's Science Advisory Committee. Restoring the quality of our environment. Report of the Environmental Pollution Panel, Washington, DC, 1965.
- 5Royal Society. Geoengineering the climate: science, governance and uncertainty. Report 10/09, 2009, 82 pp.
- 12GAO. Technology assessment: Climate Engineering: technical status, future directions and potential responses. U.S. Government Accountability Office, GAO-11-71, Washington DC, USA, 2011, 121 pp.
- 132011., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Large-Scale Intentional Interventions into the Climate System? Assessing the Climate Engineering Debate. Scoping report conducted on behalf of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). Kiel: Kiel Earth Institute;
- 14IPCC. IPCC Expert Meeting Report on Geoengineering, (Edenhofer O, Field C, Pichs-Madruga R, Sokona Y, Stocker T, Barros V, Dahe Q, Minx J, Mach K, Plattner GK, Schlomer S, Hansen G, Mastrandrea M, eds.). Potsdam: IPCC Working Group III Technical Support Unit, Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research; 2011.
- 16IPCC. Climate Change 2007, Synthesis report, contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, (Core writing team, Pachauri RK, Reisinger A, eds.). Geneva: IPCC; 2007 104 p.
- 17IPCC. Climate Change 2001, synthesis report, contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, (R. T. Watson and the Core writing team, eds.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2001, 398 p.
- 18UNFCCC. United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change; 1992, 33 p.
- 19IPCC. Special report on carbon dioxide capture and storage, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, (Metz B, Davidson O, de Coninck H, Loos M, Meyer L, eds.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2005.
- 23IPCC. Climate Change 2007: mitigation of climate change. Contribution of Working Group III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (Metz B, Davidson O, Bosch P, Dave R, Meyer L, eds.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2007.
- 24CBD. Decisions adopted by the conference of parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity at its tenth meeting, Decision X/33 on Biodiversity and Climate Change, Nagoya, 18–29 October 2010. Available at http://www.cbd.int/cop10/doc/
- 262011, 7 p., , . Summary of the synthesis session. In: Edenhofer O, Field C, Pichs-Madruga R, Sokona Y, Stocker T, Barros V, Dahe Q, Minx J, Mach K, Plattner GK, Schlomer S, Hansen G, Mastrandrea M, eds. IPCC Expert Meeting Report on Geoengineering. Potsdam: IPCC Working Group III Technical Support Unit, Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research;
- 27APS Direct air capture of CO2 with chemicals. A technology assessment for the APS Panel on Public Affairs, 1 June 2011. Available at: http://www.aps.org/policy/reports/assessments/upload/dac2011.pdf
- 44Messing with nature? Exploring public perceptions of geoengineering in the UK. Glob Environ Change, in press. doi: 10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2013.06.002., , , .
- 45Public perception of geoengineering. Security and Peace 2012, 4:215–220., .
- 46A managed Earth and the end of nature? Res Philos Technol 1999, 18:143–164..