Farmers fighting climate change—from victims to agents in subsistence livelihoods
Version of Record online: 29 MAR 2010
Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change
Volume 1, Issue 3, pages 363–373, May/June 2010
How to Cite
Olsson, L. and Jerneck, A. (2010), Farmers fighting climate change—from victims to agents in subsistence livelihoods. WIREs Clim Change, 1: 363–373. doi: 10.1002/wcc.44
- Issue online: 8 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 29 MAR 2010
- The Swedish Research Council Formas
- 1The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries are Failing and What Can Be Done About It. USA: Oxford University Press; 2007..
- 2FAO. The State of Food Insecurity in the World. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organisation; 2006, 45.
- 3FAO. Hunger on the rise - soaring prices add 75 million people to global hunger rolls. FAO Newsroom. Rome: FAO; 2008.
- 4IFAD. The Rural Poverty Report. Rome: International Fund for Agricultural Development; 2001.
- 5World Bank. World Development Report 2010: Development in a Changing Climate. World Development Report. Washington DC: World Bank; 2009.
- 6The Politics of Climate Change. Cambridge UK: Polity Press; 2009, 250..
- 7Common Wealth. New York City: Penguin Press; 2008..
- 8The Economics of Climate Change - The Stern Review. Cambridge UK: Cambridge University Press; 2006, 692..
- 9Earth system governance: people, places and the planet. Earth System Governance Project Report. Bonn: Earth System Governance Project; 2009., , , , , et al.
- 10Report on Reports: adaptation to climate change: assessing the costs. Environment: Science and Policy for Sustainable Development 2009, 51: 29–36., , , , , et al.
- 11UNDP. Human Development Report 2007/2008: fighting climate change, human solidarity in a divided world. Human Development Report. New York: United Nations Development Program; 2007.
- 12The Global Environment Facility: funding for adaptation or adapting to funds?. Climate & Energy Working Papers. Stockholm: Stockholm Environment Institute; 2007., .
- 13Adaptation to climate change: needs and opportunities in Southeast Asia. ASEAN Econ Bull 2008, 25: 7–19..
- 14Shaping future adaptation governance: perspectives from the poorest of the poor. In: Biermann F, Pattberg P, Zelli F, eds. Global Climate Governance Post 2012: Architecture, Agency and Adaptation. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press; 2010., .
- 152007, Internal Report to ICRAF, December 2007., . More than Trees. Contextualising Agro-forestry and Identifying Opportunities in Subsistence Farming.
- 18The World Food Situation: New Driving Forces and Required Actions. Washington DC: IFPRI; 2007..
- 19UN. Millennium Declaration, General Assembly Declaration 55/2, 8 September 2000.
- 22Can project-funded investments in rural development b scaled up? Lessons from the Millennium Vilages Project. Nat Resour Perspect 2008, 118: 1–6.., , .
- 23Putting Empowerment into practice: evaluating the potential for” Development as Freedom” in the Millennium Villages Project Undercurrent J 2008, 5: 6–13..
- 24The millennium village project and African development: problems and potentials. Prog Dev Studies 2008, 8: 333.,
- 25The Millennium Villages Project –a new approach to ending rural poverty in Africa? Nat Resour Perspect 2006, 101: 1–4., , .
- 26Promises Not Kept: The Betrayal of Social Change in the Third World. West Hartford, Connecticut: Kumarian Press; 2006.,
- 27Cultivating Communities of Practice: A Guide to Managing Knowledge. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press; 2007., , .
- 29Theory as method: Small theories of treatments. New Dir Program Eval 1993, 57: 33–51.,
- 30Development as Freedom. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press; 1999..
- 32FAO. Carbon sequestration in dryland soils. World Soil Resources Report. Rome: Food and Agricultural Organization; 2004, 132.
- 40Carbon sequestration and organic resources management in African smallholder agriculture. In: Lal R, Kimble JM, Follett RF, Stewart BA, eds. Management of Carbon Sequestration in Soil. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 1997, 153–173., , , .
- 44Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. Ecosystems and Human Well-being: Synthesis. Washington DC: Island Press; 2005.
- 45UNEP. Global Environmental Outlook - 4 (GEO 4). Nairobi: United Nations Environment Programme; 2007.
- 47The fuelwood crisis in southern Africa –relating fuelwood use to livelihoods in a rural village. GeoJournal 2004, 60: 123–133., , .
- 50UNEP/GRID, Woodfuel and energy consumption.UNEP/GRID-Arendal Maps and Graphics Library, UNEP/GRID-Arendal, Norway. Available at: http://maps.grida.no/go/graphic/woodfuel_and_energy_consumption;2006.
- 51WRI. The wealth of the poor: managing ecosystems to fight poverty. World Resources Report. Washington DC: World Resources institute; 2005.
- 53Improved woodbunning cookstoves: signs of success. Ambio 1985, 14: 280–287., , , , et al.
- 54Stoves and deforestation in developing countries. UK-ISES Conference, Energy for Development - what are the Solutions?. Reading University, UK; 1985..
- 55Stoves and Trees. London: International Institute for Environment and Development; 1984., , .
- 56WHO. World Health Report 2002: reducing risk, promoting healthy life. World Health Report. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2002.
- 58Performance testing for monitoring improved biomass stove interventions: experiences of the Household Energy and Health Project. Energy for Sustainable Development 2007, 11: 57–70., , , , , et al.
- 59An assessment of programs to promote improved household stoves in China. Energy 2004, 33: 33–52., , , , , et al.
- 60CDC. Baseline Data from the Nyando Integrated Child Health and Education Project—Kenya, 2007. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, Center for Disease Control; Kisumu, Kenya; 2007.
- 612009, Available at: http://vimeo.com/9371888., . Smokeless Kitchens in Kenya.
- 62MSCL. 35 MW Bagasse Based Cogeneration Project, CDM project Design Document Form (CDM-PDD). 2006.
- 63WKIEM. Western Kenya Integrated Ecosystem Management, GEF Project Document. Nairobi; 2004.
- 64Anonymous, Mumias sugar raises price of cane deliveries. Daily Nation. Nairobi; 2009.