Model improvements for evaluating the effect of tower tilting on the aerodynamics of a vertical axis wind turbine
Article first published online: 18 NOV 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 91–110, January 2015
How to Cite
2015), Model improvements for evaluating the effect of tower tilting on the aerodynamics of a vertical axis wind turbine, Wind Energ., 18, pages 91–110. doi: 10.1002/we.1685, , and (
- Issue published online: 15 DEC 2014
- Article first published online: 18 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 23 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 19 DEC 2012
- 1Deepwind—an innovative wind turbine concept for offshore. European Wind Energy Association (EWEA) Annual Event. Brussels, 2011., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2A novel floating offshore wind turbine concept: new developments. European Wind Energy Conference and Exhibition. Poland, 2010., , .
- 3A novel floating offshore wind turbine concept. European Wind Energy Conference and Exhibition. Marseille, France, 16–19 March, 2009., , , , .
- 4Use of a vertical wind turbine in an offshore floating wind farm. Offshore Technology Conference Houston, Texas, USA, 2-5 May 2011., , , .
- 510MW Aerogenerator X © Wind Power Limited & Grimshaw at http://vimeo.com/13654447.
- 6Double-multiple streamtube model for Darrieus wind turbines. Second DOE/NASA Wind Turbines Dynamics Workshop, NASA CP-2185. Cleveland, Ohio, February 1981..
- 8Aerodynamic performance theory for the NRC vertical-axis wind turbine. Technical Report LTR-LA-160, National Aeronautical Establishment, Ottawa, Ontario (Canada), 1974..
- 9The Darrieus turbine: a performance prediction model using multiple streamtubes. SAND75-0430, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, N.M., October 1975..
- 12A vortex panel model for the simulation of the wake flow past a vertical axis wind turbine in dynamic stall. Wind Energy 2012. DOI: 10.1002/we.1515., , .
- 15A mathematical model of unsteady aerodynamics and radial flow for application to helicopter rotors. USAMRDL Technical Report 72-67, Boeing Co., Vertol Div., Philadelphia, PA, 1973..
- 16Wind Turbine Design: with Emphasis on Darrieus Concept. Polytechnic International Press: Montreal, 2002..
- 17An improved double-multiple streamtube model for the Darrieus type vertical-axis wind turbine. Preceedings of the Sixth Biennial Wind Energy Conference and Workshop,Minneapolis,MN, June 1983..
- 18Application of a modified Theodorsen model to the estimation of aerodynamic forces and aeroelastic stability. European Wind Energy Conference, London, 22–25 November 2004..
- 19Application of the ONERA dynamic-stall model to a helicopter blade in forward flight. Vertica 1982; 6: 219–239., .
- 20A Beddoes–Leishman type dynamic stall model in state-space and indicial formulations. Technical Report Risø-R-1354 (en), Risø National Laboratory, Roskilde, Denmark, 2004., , .
- 22Dynamic stall simulated as time lag of separation. Proceedings of the 4th IEA Symposium on the Aerodynamics of Wind Turbines, IEA, Rome, ETSU-N-118, November 1991..
- 25A semi-empirical model for dynamic stall. Journal of the American Helicopter Society 1989; 34: 3–17., .
- 28Aerodynamic performance of the 17-metre-diameter Darrieus wind turbine. Technical Report SAND-78-1737, Department of Energy, Sandia Laboratories, Albuquerque, N.M., 1979..
- 29Measured aerodynamics and systems performance of the 17-m research machine. Proceedings of the Vertical-Axis Wind Turbine Design Technology Seminar for Industry, Albuquerque, N.M., April 1980..
- 301st DeepWind 5 MW baseline design. Energy Procedia 2012; 24: 27–35., , , , , , , .
- 31Wind Energy Handbook. John Wiley & Sons Ltd: England, 2011., , , .
- 32Principles of Helicopter Aerodynamics (2nd edn). Cambridge Aerospace Series. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 2006..
- 33Comparison of three methods for calculation of helicopter rotor blade loading and stresses due to stall. NASA TN D-7833, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, 1974..
- 34A synthesis of unsteady aerodynamic effects including stall hysteresis. Vertica 1976; 1: 113–123..
- 35Onset of leading edge separation effects under dynamic conditions and low Mach number. 34th Annual Forum of the American Helicopter Society, Washington, D. C., May 15-17, 1978..
- 36Synthesized airfoil data method for prediction of dynamic stall and unsteady airloads. American Helicopter Society, Annual Forum, 39th, St. Louis, MO, 1984..
- 37Prediction of helicopter rotor airloads based on physical modelling of 3D unsteady aerodynamics. 22nd European Rotorcraft Forum. Brighton, UK, 1996..
- 393D rotational correction in ONERA aeroelastic predictions of NREL wind turbine. 45th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, Nevada, 2007., .
- 40The adaptation of the ONERA model for dynamic stall, for application in the wind-turbine analysis programme PHATAS. In Contract Report NLR CR 90104 L. National Aerospace Laboratory NLR: The Netherlands, 1990..
- 41Aerodyn theory manual. NREL/TP-500-36881, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, Colorado, 2005., .
- 42Viscous flow and dynamic stall effects on vertical-axis wind turbines. International Journal of Rotating Machinery 1995; 2: 1–14., .
- 43Measurements of surface pressures on an operating vertical-axis wind turbine. Contractor Report SAND89-7051, Sandia National Laboratories, November 1989..
- 44Offshore floating vertical axis wind turbines with rotating platform. Risø-PhD-80(EN), National Laboratory for Sustainable Energy, DTU, August 2011..
- 45Optimization of semi-empirical parameters in the FFA-Beddoes dynamic stall model. FFA TN 1999-37, 1999..
- 47A method for modeling of floating vertical axis wind turbine. Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, Nantes, France, June 9–14, 2013., , .