The contribution of these authors was written in the course of their employment at the Met Office, UK, and is published with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland.
The English Channel ‘tsunami’ of 27 June 2011 – a probable meteorological source
Version of Record online: 23 MAY 2013
© 2013 Royal Meteorological Society and British Crown copyright, the Met Office
Volume 68, Issue 6, pages 144–152, June 2013
How to Cite
Tappin, D. R., Sibley, A., Horsburgh, K., Daubord, C., Cox, D. and Long, D. (2013), The English Channel ‘tsunami’ of 27 June 2011 – a probable meteorological source. Weather, 68: 144–152. doi: 10.1002/wea.2061
- Issue online: 23 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 23 MAY 2013
- 1995. The Daytona Beach wave of 3-4 July 1992: a shallow-water gravity wave forced by a propagating squall line. Bull. Am. Met. Soc. 76: 21–32. , , .
- 2000. Abnormal historic sea-surface fluctuations, SW England. Mar. Geol. 170(1–2): 59–68. , , , .
- 2009. Meteorological tsunamis in southern Britain: an historical review. Geog. Rev. 99: 146–163. , .
- 2009. Meteo-tsunami hazard associated with summer thunderstorms in the United Kingdom. Phys. Chem. Earth Parts A/B/C 34: 17–18, 1016–1022. , , .
- 1982. Origin of ‘Abiki’ phenomenon (kind of seiches) in Nagasaki Bay. J. Oceanogr. Soc. Jpn. 38: 172–182. , .
- 2007. The rissaga of 15 June 2006 in Ciutadella (Menorca), a meteorological tsunami. Adv. Geosci. 12: 1–4. , , .
- 2006. Meteotsunamis: atmospherically induced destructive ocean waves in the tsunami frequency band. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. 6: 1035–1051. , , .
- 2011. The North Sea Tsunami of June 5, 1858. J. Coastal Res. 27: 931–941. , .
- 2010. A climatology of pressure jumps around the Gulf of Carpentaria. Aust. Meteorol. Oceanogr. J. 60: 91–101. , , .
- 1929. The effects on the sea of changes in atmospheric pressure. Geophys. Suppl. Mon. Notices R. Astr. Soc. 2: 197–209.
- 1993. Long Ocean Gravity Waves: Trapping, Resonance, and Leaking (in Russian). Gidrometeoizdat: St. Petersburg, Russia. .
- 1966. Harbor resonance, in Estuary and Coastline Hydrodynamics. Ippen AT (ed.). McGraw Hill Book Company: New York, pp 281–340.
- 2009. Destructive meteotsunamis along the eastern Adriatic coast: overview. Phys. Chem. Earth Parts A/B/C 34(17–18): 904–917. , .