Historical deadly typhoons in the Philippines
Article first published online: 4 JUL 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Historical Climatology
Volume 63, Issue 7, pages 194–199, July 2008
How to Cite
Ribera, P., García-Herrera, R. and Gimeno, L. (2008), Historical deadly typhoons in the Philippines. Weather, 63: 194–199. doi: 10.1002/wea.275
- Issue published online: 4 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 4 JUL 2008
- 2007. The deadliest, costliest and more intense United States tropical cyclones from 1851 to 2000. NOAA Technical Report NWS TPC‒5 Miami 45 pp. , , .
- 2006. A reassessment of historical Atlantic basin tropical cyclone activity, 1700–1855. Climatic Change 76: 169–240. .
- 2007. Intense hurricane activity over the past 5000 years controlled by El Nino and the West African Monsoon. Nature 447: 465–468. , .
- 2005. Increasing destructiveness of tropical cyclones over the past 30 years. Nature 436: 686–688. .
- 1998. Tropical cyclones. Naturwissenschaften 85: 482–493. , .
- 2008. The weather and climate of the tropics, Part 7 – Tropical revolving storms. Weather (in press). .
- 2005. New records of Atlantic hurricanes from Spanish documentary sources. J. Geophys. Res. 110: D03109; DOI:10.1029/2004JD005272. 2005. , , , .
- 2007a. Identification of Caribbean basin hurricanes from Spanish documentary sources. Climatic Change DOI: 10.1007/s10584‒006‒9124‒4. , , , , , .
- 2007b. Northwest Pacific typhoons documented by the Philippine Jesuits, 1566–1900. J. Geophys. Res. 112: D06108, DOI:10.1029/2006JD007370. , , , .
- 2001. Atmospheric circulation changes in the tropical Pacific inferred from the voyages of the Manila Galleon in the 16th – 18th centuries. B. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 82: 2435–2456. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Heightened tropical cyclone activity in the North Atlantic: natural variability or climate trend? Philos. T. Roy. Soc. A. 365: 2695–2716. , .
- 2000. Reconstruction of prehistoric landfall frequencies of catastrophic hurricanes in Northwestern Florida from lake sediment records. Quaternary Res. 54: 238–245. , .
- 2001. A 1000‒year history of typhoon landfalls in Guangdong, Southern China, ‒reconstructed from Chinese historical documentary records. Ann. Assoc. Am. Geogr. 91: 453–464. , , .
- 1968. Hurricanes of the Caribbean and adjacent regions 1492–1800. Academy of the Arts and Sciences of the Americas: Miami. 326 pp. .
- 1997. History of the deadliest Atlantic tropical cyclones since the discovery of the New World. In DíazH, PulwartyR (eds). Hurricanes: climate and socioeconomic cmpacts. Springer: Berlin. 292 pp. , .
- 2005. Typhoons in the Philippine Islands, 1901–1934. Climate Res. 29: 85–90. , , , .
- 1939. The Manila Galleon. E.P. Dutton & Company: New York. 453 pp. .
- 2003. Searching the heavens and the Earth. The history of Jesuit observatories. Kluwer Academic Publishers: Dordrecht. 369 pp. .
- 2005. Changes in tropical cyclone number, duration, and intensity in a warming environment. Science 309: 1844–1846. , , , .