Reconstructing typhoons in Japan in the 1880s from documentary records
Version of Record online: 27 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 64, Issue 12, pages 315–322, December 2009
How to Cite
Grossman, M. and Zaiki, M. (2009), Reconstructing typhoons in Japan in the 1880s from documentary records. Weather, 64: 315–322. doi: 10.1002/wea.401
- Issue online: 27 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 27 NOV 2009
- 2005. The deadliest, costliest, and most intense United States tropical cyclones from 1851 to 2004. NOAA Technical Memorandum NWS TPC-4. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/Deadliest_Costliest.shtml [Accessed 12 September 2009]. , ,
- 2004. Plotting early nineteenth-century hurricane information. EOS, Transactions of the American Geophysical Union 85: 20–199. ,
- Central Weather Observatory and Ocean Weather Observatory (eds). 1976. Climate history of Japan, Volume 1. Hara Shobou Co.: Tokyo (in Japanese).
- 2000. Frequency of typhoon landfall over Guangdong Province of China during the period 1470–1931. Int. J. Climatol. 20: 183–190. ,
- 2002. The Joint Typhoon Warning Center Tropical Cyclone Best-Tracks, 1945–2000. Joint Typhoon Warning Center NRL/MR/7540-02-16. , , , .
- 1881. The typhoons of the Chinese Seas in the year 1880. Kelly and Walsh: Shanghai, China.
- 1882. The typhoons of the Chinese Seas in the year 1881. Kelly and Walsh: Shanghai, China.
- 1884. Les typhons de 1882 première partie: Les typhons des mois de Juillet et Aout (The typhoons of 1882 Part I: Typhoons of July and August). Kelly and Walsh: Shanghai, China (in French).
- 2003. Examining the ENSO-typhoon hypothesis. Climate Res. 25: 43–54. ,
- 2005. Increasing destructiveness of tropical cyclones over the past 30 years. Nature 326: 686–688.
- 2006. Variations in typhoon landfalls over China. Adv. Atmos. Sci. 23(5): 665–677. , , , ,
- 2004. The use of Spanish and British documentary sources in the investigation of Atlantic hurricane incidence, in Hurricanes and typhoons: past, present, and future. MurnaneR, LiuKB. (eds). Columbia University Press: New York. pp 149–176. , , , , ,
- 2007. Northwest Pacific typhoons documented by the Philippine Jesuits, 1566–1900. J. Geophys. Res. 112: D06108. DOI:10.1029/2006JD007370. , , , .
- The Selga Chronology Part I: 1348–1900. http://www.ucm.es/info/tropical/selga-i.html [Accessed 12 September 2009]. , , , .
- 2007. Reconstructing typhoon landfalls in Japan from historical documentary records 1801–1830. HarringtonLMB, Harrington Jr.JA. (eds.) Papers of the Applied Geography Conferences October 17–20, 2007, 30: 334–343. ,
- 2008. Reconstructing typhoon landfalls in Japan in the 19th century using GIS. HarringtonLMB, Harrington Jr.JA (eds). Papers of the Applied Geography Conferences October 15–18, 2008, 31: 152–161. ,
- Reconstructing 19th century typhoon tracks in Japan using GIS. Climate of the Past (submitted). , .
- Imperial Meteorological Observatory. (1883–1889). Tridaily weather maps: reports, remarks and indications. Imperial Meteorological Observatory: Tokio (Tokyo), Japan.
- Japan Meteorological Agency. 1973. Statistical guidelines for Meteorological Observations (Chijo Kisyo Kansoku Tokei Shishin), Appendix 1 Statistical Information, 1.14–1.17 (in Japanese).
- Japan Meteorological Agency. 2008a. Number of typhoons approaching the Japan Main Islands (Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu, Shikoku). http://www.data.jma.go.jp/fcd/yoho/typhoon/statistics/average/average.html [Accessed 14 July 2008].
- Japan Meteorological Agency. 2008b. Number of typhoons making landfall on the Japan Main Islands (Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu, Shikoku).http://www.data.jma.go.jp/fcd/yoho/typhoon/statistics/landing/landing.html [Accessed 14 July 2008].
- Japan Meteorological Agency. 2009. Climatology of tropical cyclones. http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/jma-eng/jma-center/rsmc-hp-pub-eg/climatology.html [Accessed 30 January 2009].
- 2004. The way to read and enjoy climate and weather maps. Seibido Shuppan Co., Ltd: Japan (in Japanese).
- 2007. Digital typhoon: Typhoon disaster database, http://agora.ex.nii.ac.jp/digital-typhoon/disaster/damage/ [Accessed August, 2008].
- 2008. Typhoon variations in the Philippines in the last 100 years. Abstracts of the 2008 Fall Meeting of the Japan Meteorological Society. pp 69. (in Japanese). ,
- 1959. A historical aspect of natural disasters in Kyushu and Yamaguchi Prefectures. J. Meteorol. Res. 11: 423–465 (in Japanese).
- 1973. A chronological aspect of the natural disasters in the Kanto District. J. Meteorol. Res. 5: 383–403, 429–447 (in Japanese).
- 2001. A 1000- year history of typhoon landfalls in Guangdong, southern China reconstructed from Chinese historical documentary records. Ann. Assoc. Am. Georgr. 91: 453–464. , ,
- 2004. Ancient records of typhoons in Chinese historical documents, in Hurricanes and typhoons: past, present, and future. MurnaneR, LiuKB (eds). Columbia University Press: New York. pp 222–248. ,
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport Government of Japan. 2004. White Paper on land, infrastructure and transport in Japan. http://www.mlit.go.jp/english/white-paper/mlit04.html [Accessed 12 September 2009].
- 2004. Tropical cyclone reconstructions from documentary records: examples for South Carolina, US, in Hurricanes and typhoons: past, present, and future. MurnaneR, LiuKB (eds). Columbia University Press: New York. pp 121–148.
- 2008. Tropical cyclone variations in Louisiana, USA since the late eighteenth century. Geochemistry, Geophysics, and Geosystems. 9, Q05V02, doi:10.1029/2007GC001846.
- 2004. Conclusion, in Hurricanes and typhoons: past, present, and future. MurnaneR, LiuKB (eds). Columbia University Press: New York, pp 441–446. ,
- 1876. The Sailors Handbook for the law of storms. Smith, Elder and Co.: London.
- 2005. Hurricanes and global warming. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc. 86: 1571–1575. , , , ,
- 1995. The deadliest Atlantic tropical cyclones, 1492–1996. NOAA Tech. Memorandum NWS NHC 47 updated 22 April 1997 by Jack Beven http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastdeadly.shtml [Accessed 12 September 2009]. , .
- 2005. Typhoons in the Philippine Islands, 1901–1934. Climate Res. 29: 85–90. , García- , Hernández E,
- 2008. Historical deadly typhoons in the Philippines. Weather 63: 194–199. , , .
- 1935. Charts of remarkable typhoons in the Philippines 1902–1934. Catalog of Typhoons 1348–1934, 55 pp. Manila Weather Bureau: Manila.
- 2002. The large flood on the Chikuma River in the year Kampo Two. Shinano Mainichi Newspaper Company: Nagano, Japan (in Japanese). (ed.)
- United States National Weather Service. 2008. Tropical/Subtropical Cyclone Position and Intensity Estimates. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/abouttafbprod.shtml [Accessed 6 February 2009].
- 2005. Changes in tropical cyclone number, duration, and intensity in a warming environment. Science 309: 1844–1846. , , ,
- 2008. Exploring typhoon variability over the mid-to-late Holocene: evidence of extreme coastal flooding from Kamikoshiki, Japan. Quaternary Sci. Rev. (in review). , ,
- 2005. Growing typhoon influence on East Asia. Geophys. Res. Lett. 32:18, L18703. , ,
- 1993. Historical weather database and reconstruction of the climate in historical time. J. Geogr. 102(2): 131–143 (in Japanese).