Mapping Manchester's urban heat island
Article first published online: 29 JUN 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 65, Issue 7, pages 188–193, July 2010
How to Cite
Knight, S., Smith, C. and Roberts, M. (2010), Mapping Manchester's urban heat island. Weather, 65: 188–193. doi: 10.1002/wea.542
- Issue published online: 29 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 29 JUN 2010
- BBC. 2009a. How warm is Manchester? http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/content/articles/2009/02/04/040209_hot_manchester_feature.shtml [Accessed 6 March 2009.]
- BBC. 2009b. Pupils join climate survey. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7929584.stm [Accessed 6 March 2009.]
- 1996. Urban nocturnal temperatures, street geometry and land use. Atmos. Environ. 30: 379–392.
- 2003. Spatial air temperature variations and urban land use – a statistical approach. Meteorol. Appl. 10: 135–149. ,
- 2008. Characterising the urban environment of UK cities and towns: a template for landscape planning in a changing climate. Landscape Urban Plan. 87: 210–222. , , , , ,
- 2001. Cooling buildings in London: Overcoming the heat island. BRE and DETR: London. , , ,
- 1999. Heat storage in urban areas: local-scale observations and evaluation of a simple model. J. Appl. Meteorol. 38: 922–940. ,
- 2002, Turbulent heat fluxes in urban areas: Observations and local-scale urban meteorological parameterization scheme (LUMPS). J. Appl. Meteorol. 41: 792–810. ,
- 2009. The urban heat island in Central London and urban-related warming trends in Central London since 1900. Weather 64: 323–327. ,
- 2007. A daily weather generator for use in climate change studies. Environ. Modell. Softw. 22(12): 1705–1719. , , , , , , , ,
- 1981. The Urban Climate. Academic Press: New York.
- 2005. Geographical information systems and science, 2nd Edition. John Wiley & Sons: Chichester, UK, pp 333–340. , , ,
- Mayor of London. 2006. London's urban heat island: A summary for decision makers. Greater London Authority: London.
- 1998. Observing an urban heat island by bicycle. Weather 53: 121–128. ,
- 1981. Canyon geometry and the nocturnal heat island. Comparison of scale model and field observations. J. Climatol. 1: 237–254.
- 1987. Boundary Layer Climates. Routledge: London.
- 1955. Local temperature variations in the Reading area. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 82: 45–57.
- Fine-scale spatial temperature patterns across a UK conurbation. Climatic Change (submitted). , , , ,
- 1999. Scale modelling of nocturnal cooling in urban parks. Bound-Lay. Meteorol. 93: 287–312. ,
- 1980. The synoptic climatology of Birmingham's Urban Heat Island, 1955–74. Weather 35: 43–50.
- 2003. Past and projected trends in London's urban heat island. Weather 58: 251–260.