The contributions of Rob Allan and Philip Brohan were written in the course of their employment at the Met Office, UK, and are published with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland.
The weather of the First Fleet voyage to Botany Bay, 1787–1788
Article first published online: 24 SEP 2010
© Royal Meteorological Society and Crown Copyright, 2010
Volume 65, Issue 12, pages 315–319, December 2010
How to Cite
Gergis, J., Brohan, P. and Allan, R. (2010), The weather of the First Fleet voyage to Botany Bay, 1787–1788. Weather, 65: 315–319. doi: 10.1002/wea.608
- Issue published online: 25 NOV 2010
- Article first published online: 24 SEP 2010
- 1979. The journal of Arthur Bowes Smyth, surgeon, Lady Penrhyn, 1787–1789. Australian Documents Library, Sydney. .
- 2009. Marine observations of old weather. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 90: 219–230. , , , , , , .
- 1981. The journal and letters of Lt Ralph Clark, 1787–1792. Australian Documents Library in association with the Library of Australian History, Sydney. .
- 2006. Feasibility of a 100-year reanalysis using only surface pressure data. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 87: 175–190. , , .
- 2005. CLIWOC: A climatological database for the world's oceans 1750 to 1854. Climatic Change 73: 1–11. , , , , , .
- 2008. 1788–The brutal truth of the First Fleet. Random House Australia: Sydney, Australia. .
- 1793. An historical journal of the transactions at Port Jackson and Norfolk Island: including the journals of Governors Phillip and King, since the publication of Phillip's voyage: with an abridged account of the new discoveries in the South Seas. John Stockdale: London. .
- 1988. The Sirius Letters: The complete letters of Newton Fowell, midshipman and Lieutenant aboard the Sirius, flagship of the First Fleet on its voyage to New South Wales. Fairfax Library, Sydney. .
- 1997. The voyage of the British First Fleet from Portsmouth to Port Jackson in 1787–1788 and its impact on the history of meteorology in Australia, in Colonial observatories and observations: meteorology and geophysics. KingtonJA (ed.). Department of Geography: University of Durham, United Kingdom. .
- 2004. Data rescue in the Southeast Asia and South Pacific Region: Challenges and opportunities. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 85(10) 1483–1489. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. ICOADS Release 2.5: extensions and enhancements to the surface marine meteorological archive. Int. J. Climatol. DOI: 10.1002/joc.2103. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1978. Journal of a First Fleet surgeon 1788. Library Council of New South Wales in association with the Library of Australian History, Sydney. .
- 2005. ICOADS Release 2.1 data and products. Int. J. Climatol. 25: 823–842. , , , , .