The contribution of Bruce Ingleby was written in the course of his employment at the Met Office, UK, and is published with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland.
From Observations to Forecasts – Part 6. Marine meteorological observations
Article first published online: 25 AUG 2010
© Royal Meteorological Society and Crown Copyright, 2010
Volume 65, Issue 9, pages 231–238, September 2010
How to Cite
Kent, E. and Ingleby, B. (2010), From Observations to Forecasts – Part 6. Marine meteorological observations. Weather, 65: 231–238. doi: 10.1002/wea.625
- Issue published online: 25 AUG 2010
- Article first published online: 25 AUG 2010
- 2006. A New Globally Complete Monthly Historical Gridded Mean Sea Level Pressure Dataset (HadSLP2): 1850–2004. J. Climate 19: 5816–5842. , .
- 2009a. Air-Sea fluxes from ICOADS: The construction of a new gridded dataset with uncertainty estimates. Int. J. Climatol. DOI:10.1002/joc.2059. , .
- 2009b. A new air-sea interaction gridded dataset from ICOADS with uncertainty estimates. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 90(5): 645–656. DOI:10.1175/2008BAMS2639.1. , .
- 2005. The effect of instrument exposure on marine air temperatures: An assessment using VOSClim data. Int. J. Climatol. 25(7): 1007–1022. , .
- 2010. Observations to quantify air-sea fluxes and their role in climate variability and predictability, in Proceedings of OceanObs'09: Sustained Ocean Observations and Information for Society (Vol. 2), Venice, Italy, 21–25 September 2009, Hall J, Harrison DE, Stammer D (eds). ESA Publication WPP-306. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2005. CLIWOC: a climatological database for the world's oceans 1750–1854. Climatic Change 73: 1–12. , , , , , .
- 2010. Factors affecting ship and buoy data quality: a data assimilation perspective. J. Atmos. Oceanic Tech. (in press) DOI:10.1175/2010JTECHA1421.1. .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate Change 2007: The physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
- 2006. Voluntary observing ships: A vital marine observing system in decline. CLIVAR Exchanges 38: 20–21. , , , .
- 2010a. The voluntary observing ship scheme, in Proceedings of OceanObs'09: Sustained Ocean Observations and Information for Society (Vol. 2), Venice, Italy, 21–25 September 2009. Hall J, Harrison DE, Stammer D (eds). ESA Publication WPP-306. , , , , , .
- 2010b. Effects of instrumentation changes on sea surface temperature measured in situ, Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change. http://wires.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WiresJournal/wisId-WCC.html [Accessed 29 May 2010]. , , , .
- Met Office. 2010a. http://www.hadobs.org [Accessed 29 May 2010].
- Met Office. 2010b. http://research.metoffice.gov.uk/research/nwp/observations/monitoring/marine/index.html [Accessed 29 May 2010].
- Met Office. 2010c. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/science/creating/working_together/gcc.html [Accessed 29 May 2010].
- Met Office. 1995. Marine Observer's Handbook, 11th edn. HMSO: London.
- 2008. Going with the flow: state of the art marine meteorological measurements on the new NERC research vessel. Weather 63(6): 158–159. , .
- 2006. Quantifying the airflow distortion over merchant ships. Part II: application of the model results. J. Atmos. Oceanic Tech. 23(3): 351–360. , , .
- NOAA. 2010. http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/gridded/ [Accessed 29 May 2010].
- 2003. Global Analyses of SST, sea ice and night marine air temperature since the late 19th century. J. Geophys. Res. 108(D14): 4407. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Improved analyses of changes and uncertainties in sea surface temperature measured in situ since the mid-nineteenth century: The HadSST2 Dataset. J. Climate 19: 446–469. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. An improved in situ and satellite SST analysis for climate. J. Climate 15: 1609–1625. , , , , .
- 1999. Establishing more truth in true winds. J. Atmos. Oceanic Tech. 16: 939–952. , , .
- 2008. Analysis of monthly mean marine winds adjusted for observation method and height. Int. J. Climatol. 28(6): 747–763. , , , .
- VOS. 2010. http://www.bom.gov.au/jcomm/vos/ [Accessed 29 May 2010].
- 2008. Sensors for physical fluxes at the sea surface: energy, heat, water, salt. Ocean Sci. 4(4): 247–263. , , , , , , .
- 2010. ICOADS Release 2.5 and Data Characteristics. Int. J. Climatol. DOI:10.1002/joc.2103. , , , , , , , , , , .