Self-organizing maps for latent semantic analysis of free-form text in support of public policy analysis
Article first published online: 23 DEC 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 71–86, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Till, B. C., Longo, J., Dobell, A. R. and Driessen, P. F. (2014), Self-organizing maps for latent semantic analysis of free-form text in support of public policy analysis. WIREs Data Mining Knowl Discov, 4: 71–86. doi: 10.1002/widm.1112
- Issue published online: 23 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 23 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 14 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 MAY 2012
- 1Re-Thinking Science: Knowledge and the Public in an Age of Uncertainty. Cambridge: Polity Press; 2001., , .
- 2Knowledge representation and mediation for transdisciplinary frameworks to inform debates, dialogues and deliberation. Int J Transdiscip Res 2006, 1:34–50., .
- 3Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations. New York: Penguin; 2008..
- 8http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/newswire/2012/buzz-in-the-blogsphere-millions-more-bloggers-and-blog-readers.html. (Accessed 13 November 2013).
- 9[Online]. Available from: http://www.languagemonitor.com. (Accessed 13 November 2013).
- 102007., . Searching the blogosphere. Proceedings of the 10th International Workshop on Web and Databases, Beijing, China, June
- 112007, 163–172., , , , . Structural and temporal analysis of the blogosphere through community factorization. Proceedings of the 13th ACM International Conference Knowledge Discovery & Data Mining, San Jose, August
- 12A brief survey of text mining. LDV Forum 2005, 20:19–62., .
- 13Text data mining: theory and methods. Stat Surv 2008, 2:94–112..
- 14BioWisdom. OmniViz for document analysis, 2007. [Online]. Available from: http://www.biowisdom.com//wp-content//uploads//downloads//2010//02//OmniViz_DocumentAnalysis_AppNote.pdf. (Accessed 13 November 2013).
- 15RefViz 2 (review). Libr Acad 2008, 8:343–344..
- 192004.. Structures, semantics and statistics. Keynote address at Proceedings of the 30th VLDB Conference, Toronto, Canada, August
- 20Introduction to WordNet: an on-line lexical database. Int J Lexicogr 1990, 3:235–244., , , , .
- 211995.Unsupervised learning of disambiguation rules for part of speech tagging. Proceedings of the 3rd ACL Workshop on Very Large Corpora, Cambridge, MA
- 231999.. Probabilistic latent semantic indexing. Proceedings of the 22nd Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR-99), Berkeley, CA, August
- 24Nonlinear dimensionality reduction and data visualization: a review. Int J Autom Comput 2007, 4:294–303..
- 252011.Surveying the world of visualization. H.C. Coombs Policy Forum;
- 261997.Learning to understand—general aspects of using self-organizing maps in natural language processing. Proceedings of AIP Conference on Computing Anticipatory Systems (CASYS'97), Liege, Belgium, August
- 272001; 485–491., . Neighbourhood preservation in nonlinear projection methods: an experimental study. Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks (ICANN 2001), Vienna, Austria, August
- 302000.. Text retrieval using self-organized document maps. Technical Report A61. Helsinki University of Technology, Laboratory of Computer and Information Science;
- 311997; 298–303.Comparisons of self-organized word category maps. Workshop on Self-Organizing Maps (WSOM'97), Espoo, Finland, June
- 331995., , , , . The universality of simple distributional methods: identifying syntactic categories in Mandarin Chinese. Proceedings of the International Conference on Cognitive Science and Natural Language Processing, Dublin, July
- 341995, 121–130., . Inverse document frequency (IDF): a measure of deviations from Poisson. Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Very Large Corpora. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press;
- 362004, 615–624., , . Distributional term representations: an experimental comparison. Proceedings of the 13th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, Washington, DC, November
- 37Unified linear subspace approach to semantic analysis. J Am Soc Info Sci 2010, 61:175–189., , .
- 382014, 41:1153–1167., , , , , , . Knowledge discovery in inspection reports of marine structures. Expert Systems with Applications.
- 422012.. Discovering secrets from texts: a self-organizing map perspective. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Information Technology in Medicine and Education (ITME 2012), Hokkaido, Japan, August
- 441998, 4–15.. Naive (Bayes) at forty: the independence assumption in information retrieval. Proceedings of the 10th European Conference on Machine Learning (ECML-98). Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 1398. Springer: Chemnitz, Germany;
- 45A synopsis of linguistic theory 1930–1955. In: Palmer F, ed. Selected papers of J. R. Firth. Harlow, UK: Longman; 1968..
- 46Contextual word similarity. In: Dale R, Moisl H, Somers H, eds. Handbook of Natural Language Processing. New York: Marcel Dekker; 2000, 459–476..
- 47Calculating the singular values and pseudo-inverse of a matrix. J SIAM B Numer Anal 1965, 2:205–224., .
- 492010, 129–133., , . Textual noise analysis and removal for effective search engines. Proceedings of the 2nd European Workshop on Visual Information Processing (EUVIP 2010), Paris, France, July
- 501998, 413–418.. Dimensionality reduction by random mapping: fast similarity computation for clustering. Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN'98), Anchorage, AK, May
- 522000., , , . SOM Toolbox for MatLab 5. Technical Report A57. Helsinki University of Technology, Laboratory of Computer and Information Science;
- 54[Online]. Available from: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/. (Accessed 13 November 2013).
- 55[Online]. Available from: http://www.mathworks.com. (Accessed 13 November 2013).
- 651996, 318–322, & . The dual quaternion approach to hand-eye calibration. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR'96), vol. 1, Vienna, Austria, September
- 662007, 2526–2533, , , & . Self-contained position tracking of human movement using small inertial/magnetic sensor modules. Proceedings of 2007 IEEE International Conference on Robotics & Automation (ICRA 2007), Rome, Italy, April
- 69Determining the context of text using augmented latent semantic indexing. J Am Soc Info Sci 2007, S8:2197–2204., , , .
- 702010, 265–370., , . Mining the blogosphere from a socio-political perspective. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Information Systems & Industrial Management Applications (CISIM 2010), Krakow, Poland, October
- 712010., , . A great catchy name: semi-supervised recognition of sarcastic sentences in online product reviews. Proceedings of the 4th Intrenational AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM 2010), Washington, DC, May
- 73[Online]. Available from: http://www.gutenberg.org. (Accessed 13 November 2013).