Assessment and Management of Adult Obesity in a Primary Care Practice
Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
World Medical & Health Policy
Volume 5, Issue 1, pages 19–36, March 2013
How to Cite
Orlowski, M., Adkins, S., Ellison, S., Choh, A., Terwoord, N. and Schuster, R. (2013), Assessment and Management of Adult Obesity in a Primary Care Practice. World Medical & Health Policy, 5: 19–36. doi: 10.1002/wmh3.18
- Issue online: 18 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2013
- 2001. “ Long-Term Weight-Loss Maintenance: A Meta-Analysis of US Studies.” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 74(5): 579–84. , , , and .
- 2008. “ Practice-Level Approaches for Behavioral Counseling and Patient Health Behaviors.” American Journal of Preventive Medicine 35 (5 Suppl): S407–13. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2008.08.004 , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. “ Diagnosis of Obesity by Primary Care Physicians and Impact on Obesity Management.” Mayo Clinic Proceedings 82(8): 927–32. , , , and .
- 2011. “ Physician Practice Patterns of Obesity Diagnosis and Weight-Related Counseling.” Patient Education and Counseling 82(1): 123–9. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2010.02.018 , , and .
- 2007. “ Obesity Evaluation and Intervention During Family Medicine Well Visits.” Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine: JABFM 20(3): 252–7. doi: 10.3122/jabfm.2007.03.060127 , , , and .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2012a. Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Survey Data. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- ———. 2012b. Winnable Battles [Online]. http://www.cdc.gov/winnablebattles/. Accessed February 13, 2013.
- 2006. “ Obesity Management: Physician Practice Patterns and Patient Preference.” The Diabetes Educator 32(4): 557–61. doi: 10.1177/0145721706290437 , , and .
- 1981. Applied Regression Analysis. New York: John Wiley and Sons. , and .
- 2009. “ Family Physicians' Practices and Attitudes Regarding Care of Extremely Obese Patients.” Obesity (Silver Spring, MD) 17(9): 1710–16. doi: 10.1038/oby.2009.62 , , , and .
- 2002. “ Brief Physician Advice for Problem Drinkers: Long-Term Efficacy and Benefit-Cost Analysis.” Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Research 26(1): 36–43. , , , , , and .
- 2006. “ Barriers to Obesity Management: A Pilot Study of Primary Care Clinicians.” BMC Family Practice 7, 35. doi: 10.1186/1471-2296-7-35 , , and .
- 2008. “ Physician Attitudes, Beliefs and Barriers Towards the Management and Treatment of Adult Obesity: A Literature Review.” Australian Journal of Primary Health 14(3): 9–18. , , , and .
- 2010. “ The Effectiveness of Interventions to Change Six Health Behaviours: A Review of Reviews.” BMC Public Health 10, 538. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-10-538 , , , and .
- 2000. “ How Does Physician Advice Influence Patient Behavior? Evidence for a Priming Effect.” Archives of Family Medicine 9(5): 426–33. , , and .
- 2006. “ Obesity, Weight Loss, and Physician's Advice.” Social Science & Medicine (1982) 62(10): 2458–68. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2005.11.011 , and
- 2009. “ Adult Obesity and Office-Based Quality of Care in the United States.” Obesity (Silver Spring, MD) 17(5): 1077–85. doi: 10.1038/oby.2008.653 , , and .
- 1994. Multivariate Statistical Methods: A Primer (2nd ed.). London: Chapman & Hall.
- 2009. “ Suboptimal Identification of Obesity by Family Physicians.” American Journal of Managed Care 15(9): 619–24. , , and .
- 2012. “ Behavioral Counseling Interventions to Promote a Healthful Diet and Physical Activity for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Adults: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement.” Annals of Internal Medicine 157: 367–72.
- National Center for Health Statistics. 2011. Health, United States, 2010: With Special Feature on Death and Dying (No. 2011-1232). Hyattsville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute & National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. 1998. Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: The Evidence Report. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
- 2003. Making Sense of Factor Analysis: The Use of Factor Analysis for Instrument Development in Health Care Research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. , , and .
- 2009. “ What Do Physicians Recommend to Their Overweight and Obese Patients?” Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine: JABFM 22(2): 115–22. doi: 10.3122/jabfm.2009.02.080081 , , , and .
- 2012. “ Managing Obesity in Adults in Primary Care.” CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal 184(9): 1039–44. , and .
- 2009. “ Documentation of Body Mass Index and Control of Associated Risk Factors in a Large Primary Care Network.” BMC Health Services Research 9: 236. doi: 10.1186/1472-6963-9-236 , , , and .
- 2005. “ Identification and Management of Overweight and Obesity by Internal Medicine Residents.” Journal of General Internal Medicine 20(12): 1139–41. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2005.0263.x , , , , , , and .
- 2008. “ Translational Research—Implementation of NHLBI Obesity Guidelines in a Primary Care Community Setting: The Physician Obesity Awareness Project.” The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging 12(10): 764S–69S. , , and .
- 2000. “ Who Reports Receiving Advice to Lose Weight? Results From a Multistate Survey.” Archives of Internal Medicine, 160(15): 2334–39. , , , and .
- 2009. “ Weight Management Advice: What Do Doctors Recommend to Their Patients?” Preventive Medicine 49(6): 482–86. doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2009.09.015 , , , , , and .
- 2005. “ Predictors of Weight Control Advice in Primary Care Practices: Patient Health and Psychosocial Characteristics.” Preventive Medicine 40(1): 71–82. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. “ U.S. Primary Care Physicians' Diet-, Physical Activity-, and Weight-Related Care of Adult Patients.” American Journal of Preventive Medicine 41(1): 33–42. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2011.03.017 , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Using Multivariate Statistics (5th ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon. , and .
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. 2010. The Surgeon General's Vision for a Healthy and Fit Nation. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Heath and Human Services, Office of the Surgeon General.
- 2009. “ Documentation and Management of Overweight and Obesity in Primary Care.” Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine: JABFM 22(5): 544–52. doi: 10.3122/jabfm.2009.05.080173 , , , and .