Community Handwashing Guide: Utilizing Available Resources to Initiate a Handwashing Intervention
Article first published online: 28 MAR 2014
© 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
World Medical & Health Policy
Volume 6, Issue 1, pages 39–50, March 2014
How to Cite
Sandhu, M. P. and Goodnight, J. (2014), Community Handwashing Guide: Utilizing Available Resources to Initiate a Handwashing Intervention. World Medical & Health Policy, 6: 39–50. doi: 10.1002/wmh3.80
- Issue published online: 28 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 28 MAR 2014
- African Development Bank Group. 2012. Rural Enterprises Project II in Ghana—Transforming the Lives of the Rural Poor [Online]. http://www.afdb.org/en/news-and-events/article/rural-enterprises-project-ii-in-ghana-transforming-the-lives-of-the-rural-poor-9203/. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- Amazon. 2013a. Hand Towels [Online]. http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3731711. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- ———. 2013b. Touch Free Faucet [Online]. http://www.amazon.com/iTouchless-EZF003C-Touch-Free-Faucet/dp/B0002KK58A. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- 2007. “ The Effectiveness of Hand Hygiene Procedures in Reducing the Risks of Infections in Home and Community Settings Including Handwashing and Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizers.” American Journal of Infection Control 35 (10): S27–64. http://www.ajicjournal.org/article/S 0196-6553(07)00595-0/fulltext. Accessed November 12, 2013. , , , , and
- 2009. Use of Ash and Mud for Handwashing in Low Income Communities. International Scientific Forum on Hand Hygiene (IFC) [Online]. http://www.wsscc.org/sites/default/files/publications/ifh_use_of_ash_and_mud_for_handwashing_in_low_income_communities_2009.pdf. Accessed November 12, 2013. , and
- 2011. “ The Effect of Handwashing with Water or Soap on Bacterial Contamination of Hands.” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 8 (1): 97–104. , , , , , and
- 2006. “Water Supply, Sanitation, and Hygiene Promotion.” In Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries, 2nd ed., eds. Dean T. Jamison, Joel G. Breman, Anthony R. Measham, George Alleyne, Mariam Claeson, David B. Evans, Prabhat Jha, Anne Mills, and Philip Musgrove. Washington, DC: World Bank. Table 41.12, Cost-Effectiveness of Water Supply, Sanitation, and Hygiene Promotion (US$/DALY) [Online]. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK11755/table/A5976/. Accessed November 12, 2013. , and
- CDC. 2010a. Community Health Workers Training Materials for Cholera Prevention and Control. Learning Module 1, Introduction and Community Engagement [Online]. http://www.cdc.gov/haiticholera/pdf/chw_trainingmaterialsforcholera.pdf. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- ———. 2010b. Wash Your Hands [Online]. http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/pdf/flyer-wash-your-hands.pdf. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- ———. 2012a. Facts about Mold and Dampness [Online]. http://www.cdc.gov/mold/dampness_facts.htm. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- ———. 2012b. Illness Prevention [Online]. http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/handwashing/handwashingtips.htm. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- 2001. “ Skin Microflora and Bacterial Infections of the Skin.” Journal of Investigative Dermatology Symposium Proceedings 6: 170–74. , , and
- 2011. “ Hygiene: New Hopes, New Horizons.” The Lancet Infectious Diseases 11 (4): 312–21. , , , , , and
- Dyson Co. 2012. Dyson Air Blade [Online]. http://media.dyson.com/downloads/UK/airblade/pdf/brochure.pdf. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- ———. 2013. Hand Dryers Stock [Online]. http://www.restroomdirect.com/dyson-airblade.aspx?variation=874&gclid=CIfi-Y-WzbcCFc-f4Aod-HsAPQ. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- Elmhurst College. 2003. Soap [Online]. http://www.elmhurst.edu/∼chm/vchembook/554soap.html. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- European Centers for Disease Control (CDC). 2013. Prevention of Norovirus Infection in Schools and Childcare Facilities [Online]. http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications/Publications/norovirus-prevention-infection-schools-childcare-facilities.pdf. Accessed October 5, 2013.
- 2000. “ Effects of 4 Hand-Drying Methods for Removing Bacteria From Washed Hands: A Randomized Trial.” Mayo Clinic Proceedings 75 (7): 705–8. , , , , , , and
- 2003. “ Handwashing Practices and Challenges in Bangladesh.” International Journal of Environmental Health Research 13: 881–87.
- 1991. “ A Comparison of Local Handwashing Agents in Bangladesh.” Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 94: 61–64. , and
- 2012. “ The Hygienic Efficacy of Different Hand-Drying Methods: A Review of the Evidence.” Mayo Clinic Proceedings 87 (8): 791–98. , , and
- 2005. The Handwashing Handbook: A Guide for Developing a Hygiene Promotion Program to Increase Handwashing with Soap [Online]. http://globalhandwashing.org/sites/default/files/2.%20The_Handwashing_Handbook_English.pdf. Accessed November 12, 2013. , , , , and
- 2009. “ Effectiveness of Liquid Soap and Hand Sanitizer Against Norwalk Virus on Contaminated Hands.” Applied and Environmental Microbiology 76 (2): 394–99. , , , , and
- 2004. “ Effect of Intensive Handwashing Promotion on Childhood Diarrhea in High-Risk Communities in Pakistan: A Randomized Controlled Trial.” The Journal of the American Medical Association 291 (21): 2547–54. , , , , , and
- 2011a. “ The Effect of Handwashing at Recommended Times With Water Alone and With Soap on Child Diarrhea in Rural Bangladesh: An Observational Study.” PLoS Med 8 (6): e1001052. , , , , and
- 2011b. “ Using Child Health Outcomes to Identify Effective Measures of Handwashing.” The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 85 (5): 882–92. , , , , and
- 2008. “ Improved Inactivation of Nonenveloped Enteric Viruses and Their Surrogates by a Novel Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer.” Applied and Environmental Microbiology 74 (16): 5047–52. , , , and
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Material Systems Laboratory. 2011. Life Cycle Assessment of Hand Drying Systems [Online]. http://msl.mit.edu/publications/HandDryingLCA-ExecutiveSummary.pdf. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- 1995. Safe Water Treatment and Storage in the Home: A Practical New Strategy to Prevent Waterborne Disease [Online]. http://www.uvm.edu/∼bwilcke/reiff.pdf. Accessed January 22, 2014. , , and
- 2009. “ Preventing Norovirus Transmittion: How Should We Handle Food Handlers?” Journal of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 48 (1): 38–40. http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/48/1/38.full. Accessed September 23, 2013.
- 2010. “ The Law of Diminishing Returns in Clinical Medicine: How Much Risk Reduction Is Enough?” Journal of American Board of Family Medicine 23 (3): 371–75. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/722769. Accessed on June 3, 2013. , , and
- 2010. “ Efficacy of Waterless Hand Hygiene Compared with Handwashing with Soap: A Field Study in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.” The American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 82 (2): 270–78. , , , and
- 2009. “ The World Health Organization Guidelines on Hand Hygiene in Health Care and Their Consensus Recommendations.” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 30 (7): 611–22. , , and
- PPPHW. 2011. Global Handwashing Day Poster [Online]. http://globalhandwashing.org/resources/global-handwashing-day/global-handwashing-day-poster. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- ———. 2012. Webinars. PPPHW Think Tank Overview Webinar [Online]. http://www.washplus.org/resources/webinars. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- ———. 2013. Benefits Beyond Health [Online]. http://globalhandwashing.org/why/benefits. Accessed September 30, 2013.
- Queensland Health. 2012. Hand Hygiene Guideline. Center for Healthcare Associated Infection Surveillance and Prevention, HQCC Hand Hygiene Standard. Queensland: Chief Health Officer. http://www.health.qld.gov.au/qhpolicy/docs/gdl/qh-gdl-321-1-1.pdf. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- SARI Infection Control Subcommittee. 2002. Guidelines for Hand Hygiene in Irish Health Care Settings. Health Protection Surveillance Centre, Ministry for Health and Children. Dublin: HSE, Health Protection Surveillance Center. http://www.hpsc.ie/hpsc/A-Z/Gastroenteric/Handwashing/Publications/File,1047,en.pdf. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- 2007. “ Pathogenesis, Virulence and Infective Dose.” PLoS Pathlog 26; 3 (10): 1372–3. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17967057?dopt=Abstract. Accessed September 23, 2013. , and
- 2013. Poverty Facts and Stats [Online]. http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- 2006. Review of Handwashing Programs. IRC International Water and Sanitation Centre. Delft, The Netherlands [Online]. http://www.washdoc.info/docsearch/title/171052. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- Tippy Tap Org. 2012. The Tippy Tap [Online]. http://www.tippytap.org/the-tippy-tap. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- UNICEF Malaysia. 2013. Frequently Asked Questions. Global Handwashing Day Planner's Guide [Online]. http://www.unicef.org/malaysia/FAQ_on_Handwashing_with_Soap.pdf. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- UNICEF West and Central Africa. 2013. Handwashing [Online]. http://www.unicef.org/wcaro/english/overview_4553.html. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- UN-Water. 2010. Climate Change Adaptation in Mainly About Water [Online]. http://www.unwater.org/downloads/UNWclimatechange_EN.pdf. Accessed June 3, 2012.
- ———. 2012. Statistics: Graphics & Maps. Drinking Water, Sanitaton & Hygiene [Online]. http://www.unwater.org/statistics_san.html#. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- US EPA. WaterSense. 2013. WaterSense Labeled High-Efficiency Lavatory (Bathroom Sink) Faucet Specification [Online]. http://www.epa.gov/WaterSense/pubs/faq_bs.html. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- US FEMA. 2013. Water [Online]. http://www.ready.gov/water. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH). 2013. Educational Material: Learn How to Protect Yourself and Stay Healthy. Communicable Diseases [Online]. http://www.vch.ca/staying_healthy/communicable_diseases/educational_materials/. Accessed September 14, 2013.
- Water and Sanitation Program. 2013. Enabling Technologies for Handwashing Database [Online]. http://www2.wsp.org/scalinguphandwashing/enablingtechnologies/index.cfm?Page=Browse. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- 2003. “ Efficacy of Selected Hand Hygiene Agents Used to Remove Bacillus atrophaeus (a Surrogate of Bacillus anthracis) From Contaminated Hands.” The Journal of the American Medical Association 289 (10): 1274–7. , , , and
- Wholesale Paper Supplies. 2013. Item: Center Fold White Towel [Online]. https://www.wholesalepapersupplies.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=35&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=3158&category_id=201&gclid=CKzF45SGzbcCFcad4AodqG4AtA&vmcchk=1&Itemid=35. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- World Alliance for Patient Safety. 2006. WHO Guidelines on Hand Hygiene in Health Care. Report WHO/EIP/SPO/QPS/05.2, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland [Online]. http://www.who.int/patientsafety/information_centre/Last_April_versionHH_Guidelines%5B3%5D.pdf. Accessed November 12, 2013.
- World Bank. 2008. New Data Show 1.4 Billion Live on Less Than US $1.25 a Day, But Progress Against Poverty Remains Strong [Online]. http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2008/09/16/new-data-show-14-billion-live-less-us125-day-progress-against-poverty-remains-strong. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- WHO. 2009a. How to Handwash? [Online] http://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/How_To_HandWash_Poster.pdf. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- ———. 2009b. WHO Guidelines on Hand Hygiene in Health Care: A Summary. First Global Patient Safety Challenge: Clean Care is Safer Care [Online]. http://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/tools/9789241597906/en/. Accessed June 3, 2013.
- ———. 2012. Water Sanitation Health. Managing Water in the Home: Accelerated Health Gains from Improved Water Supply [Online]. http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/wsh0207/en/index2.html. Accessed January 22, 2014.
- ———. 2013. About [Online]. http://www.who.int/about/en/. Accessed September 14, 2013.