Role of minimum wages in rebalancing the economy
Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2013
Copyright © International Labour Organization (International Institute for Labour Studies) 2013
World of Work Report
Volume 2013, Issue 1, pages 45–74, May 2013
How to Cite
Rani, U., Belser, P. and Ranjbar, S. (2013), Role of minimum wages in rebalancing the economy. World of Work Report, 2013: 45–74. doi: 10.1002/wow3.37
- Issue online: 5 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2013
- 2011. “The impact of minimum wages on wages, work and poverty in Nicaragua”, in Labour Economics, Vol. 18, Supplement 1,pp. S54–S59. ; ;
- 2004. Minimum wages in Colombia: Holding the middle with a bite on the poor. (Bogota, Central Bank of Colombia), unpublished. ;
- 2010. The contribution of the minimum wage to U.S. wage inequality over three decades: A reassessment, NBER Working Paper No. 16533 (Cambridge MA, National Bureau of Economic Research). ; ;
- 2012. “At what level should countries set their minimum wages?” in International Journal of Labour Research, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 105–127. ;
- 2012. “Minimum wage violation in South Africa: Low-paid work in emerging economies”, in International Labour Review, Vol. 151, No. 3; pp. 277–287. ; ;
- 2010. The combined employment effects of minimum wages and labour market regulation: A meta-analysis, IZA Discussion Paper No. 4983 (Bonn, IZA).
- Bureau of Labor Statistics.2009. Characteristics of minimum wage workers: 2008 (Washington, DC, United States Department of Labor).
- 2012. Minimum wages and wage inequality: Some theory and an application to the UK, CEP Discussion Paper No. 1177 (London, The London School of Economics and Political Science). ; ;
- 2001. Modelling formal versus informal employment and earnings: Micro econometric evidence for Brazil, Working Paper No. 2001-15 (Aberystwyth, School of Management and Business, Aberystwyth University). ;
- 2006. “Higher minimum wage no longer seen as sure-fire U.S. job killer”, in Bloomberg.com (News). Available at: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601070&sid=atp2MiOAZ3Xc&refer=home# [11 Apr. 2013]
- 2010. Minimum wages and changing wage inequality in Indonesia, ADB Economics Working Paper series No. 196 (Manila, Asian Development Bank). ;
- 2009. How does decentralised minimum-wage setting affect unemployment and informality? The case of Indonesia, OECD Economics Department Working Paper No. 710 (Paris, OECD). ;
- 2007. Minimum wages and social policy: Lessons from developing countries. (Washington, DC, World Bank).
- 2012. “Rescuing the minimum wage as a tool for development in Brazil”, in International Journal of Labour Research, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 27–44. ; ; ;
- 2004. “Has the national minimum wage reduced UK wage inequality?”, in Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A (Statistics in Society), Vol. 167, No. 4, pp. 613–626. ;
- 2010. Employment, inequality and the UK national minimum wage over the medium-term, IZA Discussion Paper Series No. 5278 (Bonn, IZA). ; ;
- 2009. “Publication selection bias in minimum-wage research? A meta-regression analysis”, in British Journal of Industrial Relations, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 406–428. ;
- Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC). 2012. Preliminary overview of the economies of Latin America and the Caribbean (Santiago, Chile, ECLAC, United Nations).
- 2001. “Minimum wage effects throughout the wage distribution: Evidence from Brazil's formal and informal sectors”, paper provided by ANPEC – Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics] in its series Anais do X XIX Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 29th Brazilian Economics Meeting] No. 98 (Ingá Niterói, RJ, ANPEC).
- 2013. Wage protection legislation in Africa, Conditions of Work and Employment Series No. 38 (Geneva; ILO).
- 2004. Legal minimum wages and the wages of formal and informal sector workers in Costa Rica, IZA Discussion Paper No. 1018 (Bonn, IZA). ;
- 2010. “Minimum wages, globalization and poverty in Honduras” in World Development, Vol. 38, No. 6, pp. 908–918. ;
- 2010) Improving compliance with legal minimum wages in Costa Rica, Working Paper No. 127, Department of Economics (Baltimore, MD, University of Maryland. ; (
- 2012. Financialization and the requirements and potentials for wage-led recovery – a review focusing on the G20, Conditions of Work and Employment Series No. 37, Conditions of Work and Employment Branch (Geneva, ILO). ;
- 2009. The theoretical debate about minimum wages, Global University Working Papers, Paper No. 6 (Kassel and Berlin, Global Labour University). ; ;
- International Labour Office (ILO). 1967. Report of the meeting of experts on minimum wage fixing and related problems, with special reference to developing countries, presented at the 170th session of the Governing Body of November 1967, Geneva
- International Labour Office (ILO). 2008. Global Wage Report 2008/09: Minimum wages and collective bargaining. Towards policy coherence. (Geneva).
- International Labour Office (ILO). 2010. Global Wage Report 2010/11: Wage policies in times of crisis. (Geneva).
- International Labour Office (ILO). 2011. World of Work Report 2011: Making markets work for jobs (Geneva).
- International Labour Office (ILO). 2012. Global Wage Report 2012/13: Wages and equitable growth. (Geneva).
- International Labour Office (ILO). Various years. Working Conditions Report.
- 2009. The perverse effects of declining wages, Presentation to the International Labour Conference, ILO Geneva, June 2009. Available at: http://www.ilo.org/public/libdoc/ILC2009/TD6/Lavoie%20TD6.pdf [11 Apr. 2013].
- 1999. “Wage inequality in the United States during the 1980s: Rising dispersion or falling minimum wage?”, in The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol. 114, No. 3, pp. 977–1023.
- 2012. ““Varieties of minimum wage system” through the dubious lens of indicator-based country rankings”, in International Labour Review, Vol. 151, No.3, pp. 261–275.
- 2004. The effect of the minimum wage on prices, IZA Discussion Paper No. 1072 (Bonn, IZA).
- 2007. “Minimum wage effects across the private and public sectors in Brazil”, in Journal of Development Studies, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 700–720.
- 2009. “Minimum wage effects in a developing country”, in Labour Economics, Vol. 16. No. 2, pp. 224–237.
- 2001. Measuring the impact of minimum wages: Evidence from Latin America, Policy Research Working Paper No. 2597 (Washington DC, The World Bank). ;
- 2008. “Why has the British national minimum wage had little or no impact on employment?”, in Journal of Industrial Relations, Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 489–512.
- 2005. “Employment guarantee in rural India: What would it cost and how much would it reduce poverty?”, in Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 40, No. 31, pp. 3450–3455. ;
- 2008. Minimum wages (Cambridge, MA, MIT Press). ;
- 2011. “Impact of minimum wages on employment”, in The Chinese Economy, Vol. 44, No.1, pp. 18–38. ; ;
- 2001. “The consequences of doubling the minimum wage: The case of Indonesia”, in Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol. 54, No, 4, pp. 864–881.
- 2012. “The effectiveness of minimum wages in developing countries: The case of India”, in International Journal of Labour Research, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 45–66. ;
- 2013. “Workfare as an effective way to fight poverty?: The case of India's NR EGS”, Available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1336837 [10 Apr. 2013]. ;
- 1997. “Minimum Wage Legislation”, in The Indian Journal of Labour Economics, Vol. 40, No.4, pp. 705–713.
- 2011. Effect of employment guarantee on access to credit: Evidence from rural India, Munich Personal RePEc Archive (MPR A) Paper No. 34671 (Munich, Munich University Library).
- 1981. “Minimum wage fixing: International experience with alternative roles” in International Labour Review, Vol. 120, No. 5, pp. 545–562.
- 2012. “Why have wage shares fallen? A panel analysis of the determinants of functional income distribution”, Conditions of Work and Employment Series No. 35, Conditions of Work and Employment Branch (Geneva, ILO).
- 2007. Functional income distribution and aggregate demand in the Euro-area, Working Paper No. 102, Department of Economics (Vienna, Vienna University of Economics). ; ;
- 2001. Wage and employment effects of minimum wage policy in the Indonesian urban labor market, SMERU Research Report (Jakarta, The SMERU Research Institute). ; ;
- The Low Pay Commission (LPC). 2009. National minimum wage: Low pay commission report 2009 (London, Low Pay Commission).
- The Low Pay Commission (LPC). 2012. National minimum wage: Low pay commission report 2012 (London, Low Pay Commission).
- 2011. Work inequalities in the crisis: Evidence from Europe (Cheltenham and Geneva, Edward Elgar and ILO).