Forum – Non-adherence to medication in people with psychotic disorders: determinants and management
Non-adherence to medication in patients with psychotic disorders: epidemiology, contributing factors and management strategies
Article first published online: 3 OCT 2013
Copyright © 2013 World Psychiatric Association
Volume 12, Issue 3, pages 216–226, October 2013
How to Cite
Kane, J. M., Kishimoto, T. and Correll, C. U. (2013), Non-adherence to medication in patients with psychotic disorders: epidemiology, contributing factors and management strategies. World Psychiatry, 12: 216–226. doi: 10.1002/wps.20060
- Issue published online: 3 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 3 OCT 2013
- 4World Health Organization. Adherence to long-term therapies: evidence for action. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2003.
- 5New England Health Institute. Research brief: thinking outside the pillbox. Cambridge: New England Health Institute, 2009.
- 10Does feedback of medication execution using MEMS caps aid adherence to HAART; The MEMRI study (MEMS as Realistic Intervention). J Int AIDS Soc 2010; 13(Suppl. 4):120., , et al.
- 12First experience with a wireless system incorporating physiologic assessments and direct confirmation of digital tablet ingestions in ambulatory patients with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Submitted for publication., , et al.
- 21Comparison of atypicals in first episode study group. Predictors of treatment discontinuation and medication nonadherence in patients recovering from a first episode of schizophrenia, schizophreniform disorder, or schizoaffective disorder: a randomized, double-blind, flexible-dose, multicenter study. J Clin Psychiatry 2008;69:106-13., , et al.
- 35Long-acting injectable vs. oral antipsychotics for relapse prevention in schizophrenia: a meta-analysis of randomized trials. Schizophr Bull (in press)., , et al.
- 36The expert consensus guideline series: adherence problems in patients with serious and persistent mental illness. J Clin Psychiatry 2009;70(Suppl. 4):1-46., , et al.
- 43Patient nonadherence to medication in inflammatory bowel disease. Am J Gastroenterol 2003;98:1535-44., , et al.Direct Link:
- 49Psychoeducation for schizophrenia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011;6:CD002831., , .
- 50Cognitive and behavioral approaches to medication adherence. Adv Psychiatr Treatment 1999;5:338-47..
- 51What is motivational interviewing? Behav Cogn Psychother 1995;23:325-34., .
- 61Intensive case management for severe mental illness. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010;10:CD007906., , et al.
- 62Assertive community treatment for people with severe mental disorders. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000;2:CD001089., .
- 65Texas Medication Algorithm Project Procedural Manual: schizophrenia algorithm. Austin: Texas Department of State Health Services, 2008., , et al.
- 68National Collaborating Centre for Mental Health. The NICE guidelines on core interventions in the treatment and management of schizophrenia in primary and secondary care (update edition). Leicester, London: British Psychological Society and Royal College of Psychiatrists, 2010.
- 71PROACTIVE: Initial results of an RCT comparing long-acting injectable risperidone to 2nd generation oral antipsychotics. Presented at the 50th Annual Meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, Kona, December 2011., , et al.
- 73Long acting injectable vs. oral antipsychotics in schizophrenia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of mirror-image studies. Presented at the 51st Annual Meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharamacology, Hollywood, December 2012., , et al.