Opportunities and challenges to implementing bird conservation on private lands
Article first published online: 19 APR 2013
Published 2013. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA.
Wildlife Society Bulletin
Volume 37, Issue 2, pages 267–277, June 2013
How to Cite
Ciuzio, E., Hohman, W. L., Martin, B., Smith, M. D., Stephens, S., Strong, A. M. and Vercauteren, T. (2013), Opportunities and challenges to implementing bird conservation on private lands. Wildlife Society Bulletin, 37: 267–277. doi: 10.1002/wsb.266
- Issue published online: 27 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 19 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 23 AUG 2011
- 2002. Economic reasons for conserving wild nature. Science 297:950–953. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Estimating economic impact of conservation field borders on farm revenue. Crop Management DOI: 10.1094/CM-2007-0614-01-RS , , and .
- 1989. The use of prairie potholes by North American ducks. Pages 204–227 in A. van der Valk, editor. Northern prairie wetlands. Iowa State University Press, Ames, USA. , , , and .
- Brown, S., C. Hickey, B. Harrington, and R. Gill, editors. 2001. The U.S. shorebird conservation plan. Second edition. Manomet Center for Conservation Sciences, Manomet, Massachusetts, USA.
- 2006. Creating wildlife habitat through federal farm programs: an objective-driven approach. Wildlife Society Bulletin 34:994–999.
- 2006a. The role of farm policy in achieving large-scale conservation: bobwhites and buffers. Wildlife Society Bulletin 34:986–993. , , , and .
- 2006b. CP33-habitat buffers for upland birds monitoring protocol. Mississippi State University Miscellaneous Publication, Mississippi, USA. , , , , and .
- 1993. In vitro digestion kinetics and quality of perennial grasses as influenced by forage maturity. Journal of Dairy Science 76:790–797. , , and .
- 2007. Winter avian community and sparrow response to field border width. Journal of Wildlife Management 7:1917–1923. , , and .
- 2009. Breeding bird response to field border presence and width. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 121:548–555. , , and .
- 1997. The value of the world's ecosystem services and natural capital. Nature 387:253–260. , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1992. The conservation of biological diversity and U.S. agriculture: goals, institutions, and policies. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 42:177–193.
- 2006. Landscape factors influencing butterfly use of Conservation Reserve Program buffers in the Midwest. Wildlife Society Bulletin 34:936–943. , , , and .
- 2007. Waterfowl nesting in fall-seeded and spring-seeded cropland in Saskatchewan. Journal of Wildlife Management 72:1790–1797. , , , , and .
- 2010. Cropland nesting by long-billed curlews in southern Alberta. Prairie Naturalist 42:123–129. , , and .
- 2002. The northern bobwhite conservation initiative. Miscellaneous publication of the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, South Carolina, USA. , , and .
- 2012. Multi-scale response of upland birds to targeted agricultural conservation. Dissertation, Mississippi State University, Mississippi, USA.
- 2005. Impact of the Conservation Reserve Program on wildlife conservation in the Midwest. Pages 41–62 in J. B. Haufler, editor. Fish and wildlife benefits of Farm Bill conservation programs: 2000–2005 update. The Wildlife Society Technical Review 05-02, Bethesda, Maryland, USA. , and .
- Food and Agriculture Organization. 2010. The state of food insecurity in the world: addressing food insecurity in protracted crises. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, World Summit on Food Security, 16–18 Nov 2009, Rome, Italy. http://www.fao.org/docrep/013/i1683e/i1683e.pdf. Accessed 18 Nov 2010.
- 1995. Agricultural practices, farm policy, and the conservation of biological diversity. Biological Science Report 4. U.S. Department of the Interior, National Biological Service, Springfield, Virginia, USA.
- 2005. Farming and the fate of wild nature. Science 307:550–555. , , , and .
- 2000. Introduction. Pages 1–4 in W. L. Hohman, and D. J. Halloum, editors. A comprehensive review of Farm Bill contributions to wildlife conservation, 1985–2000. U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service, Wildlife Habitat Management Institute, Technical Report USDA/NRCS/WHMI-2000. Madison, Mississippi, USA.
- 2005. Confronting a biome crisis: global disparities of habitat loss and protection. Ecology Letters 8:23–29. , , , and .
- 2005. What preys on piping plover eggs and chicks? Wildlife Society Bulletin 33:113–119. , and .
- 2005. Grassland bird use of Conservation Reserve Program fields in the Great Plains. Pages 17–32 in J. B. Haufler, editor. Fish and wildlife benefits of Farm Bill conservation programs: 2000–2005 update. The Wildlife Society Technical Review 05-02, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.
- 1996. Prairie legacies—birds. Pages 135–148 in F. B. Samson, and F. L. Knopf, editors. Prairie conservation: preserving North America's most endangered ecosystem. Island Press, Washington, D.C., USA.
- 2002. Waterbird conservation for the Americas: the North American waterbird conservation plan. Version 1. Waterbird Conservation for the Americas, Washington, D.C., USA. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Population viability of piping plovers: effects of predator exclusion. Journal of Wildlife Management 66:361–371. , , and .
- 2000. The effects of farm field borders on overwintering sparrow densities. Wilson Bulletin 112:517–523. , , and .
- 2003. Occurrence and productivity of songbirds in prairie farmland under conventional versus minimum tillage regimes. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 96:107–117. , and .
- 2011. Using precision agriculture technology to evaluate environmental and economic tradeoffs of alternative CP33 enrollments. Thesis, Mississippi State University, Mississippi, USA.
- 2012. NBCI's bobwhite almanac, state of the bobwhite 2012. National Bobwhite Technical Committee, Technical Publication, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA. , , , and .
- 1990. The conservation title of the food security act of 1985: an overview. Pages 3–10 in T. L. Napier, editor. Implementing the conservation title of the food security act of 1985. Soil Conservation Society of America, Ankeny, Iowa, USA.
- North American Waterfowl Management Plan Committee. 2004. North American waterfowl management plan 2004. Implementation framework: strengthening the biological foundation. Canadian Wildlife Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Secretaria de MedioAmbiente y Recursos Naturales, Gatineau, Quebec, Canada, Arlington, Virginia, USA, Colonia Tlacopac, San Angel, Mexico.
- 1995. Endangered ecosystems of the United States: a preliminary assessment of loss and degradation. Biological Science Report 28. U.S. Department of Interior, National Biological Service, Washington, D.C., USA. , , and .
- Natural Resources Conservation Service [NRCS]. 2012. NRCS landscape conservation initiatives. http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/national/home/?cid=stelprdb1042113. Accessed 14 May 2012.
- 2005. Influence of place attachment and trust on civic action: a study at Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge. Society and Natural Resources 18:511–528. , , and .
- 2006. Grassland songbirds in a dynamic management landscape: behavioral responses and management strategies. Ecological Applications 16:2235–2247. , , , and .
- 2011. A model for integrating wildlife science and agri-environmental policy in the conservation of declining species. Journal of Wildlife Management 75:1657–1663. , , and .
- 2003. Agricultural landscapes: can they support healthy bird populations as well as farm products? Auk 120:14–19.
- 1995. Rooted in the soil: how understanding the perspectives of landowners can enhance the management of environmental disputes. Quarterly Journal of Speech 81:139–166. , and .
- 2011. Reconciling food production and biodiversity conservation: land sharing and land sparing compared. Science 333:1289–1291. , , , and .
- 2000a. Viability of piping plover (Charadrius melodus) populations. Biological Conservation 92:163–173. , and .
- 2000b. Status of a broadly distributed endangered species: results and implications of the Second International Piping Plover Census. Canadian Journal of Zoology 78:129–139. , and .
- 2005. Factors affecting butterfly use of filter strips in Midwestern USA. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 109:40–47. , , and .
- 2004. Partners in Flight North American landbird conservation plan. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York, USA. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. The importance of habitat shape and landscape context to northern bobwhite populations. Journal of Wildlife Management 72:1376–1382. , , and .
- 2008. Effects of the Conservation Reserve Program on northern bobwhite and grassland birds. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 146:309–323. , , and ,
- 1993. Status of piping plovers in the Great Plains of North America: a demographic simulation model. Conservation Biology 7:581–585. , , and .
- 2011. The North American Breeding Bird Survey, results and analysis 1966–2009. Version 3.23.2011. U.S. Geological Survey Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, Maryland, USA. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Northern Plains/Prairie Potholes regional shorebird conservation plan. http://www.fws.gov/shorebirdplan/RegionalShorebird/downloads/NORPLPP2.pdf. Accessed 10 Aug 2009. , and .
- 2005a. Breeding bird abundance and diversity in agricultural field borders in the black belt prairie of Mississippi. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies 59:43–56. , , , and .
- 2005b. Density and diversity of overwintering birds in managed field borders in Mississippi. Wilson Bulletin 117:258–269. , , , and .
- 2001. Predation on waterfowl in arctic tundra and prairie breeding areas: a review. Wildlife Society Bulletin 29:6–15. , , and .
- 2005. Duck nest survival in the Missouri Coteau of North Dakota: landscape effects at multiple spatial scales. Ecological Applications 15:2137–2149. , , , , and .
- 2008. Predicting risk of habitat conversion of native temperate grasslands. Conservation Biology 22:1320–1330. , , , , , , and .
- 1984. Farming intensity on waterfowl breeding grounds in Saskatchewan parklands. Wildlife Society Bulletin 12:22–26. , and .
- U.S. Department of Agriculture [USDA]. 2004. Practice CP33 habitat buffers for upland wildlife. Farm Service Agency, Notice CRP-479, Washington, D.C., USA.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture [USDA]. 2007. Census of agriculture. http://www.agcensus.usda.gov/. Accessed 10 Sep 2008.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture [USDA]. 2008. 2008 Farm Bill side-by-side. http://www.ers.usda.gov/FarmBill/2008/Titles/TitleIIConservation.htm. Accessed 14 May 2012.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service [USFWS]. U.S. Geological Service. 2006. Strategic habitat conservation: final report of the National Ecological Assessment Team. http://www.fws.gov/science/doc/SHC_FinalRpt.pdf. Accessed 25 Nov 2009.
- 2009. Development of recovery credit systems as policy innovation for threatened and endangered species. Transactions of the North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference 73:233–244. , , , and .