Present address: Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, 30 Marie Curie, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1N 6N5.
Detecting a population decline of woodland caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou) from non-standardized monitoring data in Pukaskwa National Park, Ontario
Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2014
© The Wildlife Society, 2014
Wildlife Society Bulletin
Volume 38, Issue 2, pages 348–357, June 2014
How to Cite
Patterson, L. D., Drake, C. C., Allen, M. L. and Parent, L. (2014), Detecting a population decline of woodland caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou) from non-standardized monitoring data in Pukaskwa National Park, Ontario. Wildlife Society Bulletin, 38: 348–357. doi: 10.1002/wsb.402
Associate Editor: Glenn.
- Issue online: 10 JUN 2014
- Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 12 OCT 2012
- 2003. Comparison of helicopter and ground surveys for North American elk Cervus elaphus and mule deer Odocoileus hemionus population composition. Wildlife Biology 9:199-205. , , and .
- 1974. Decline of caribou in North America following settlement. Journal of Wildlife Management 38:757-770.
- 1985. Antipredator strategies of caribou: dispersion along shorelines. Canadian Journal of Zoology 63:1324-1329.
- 1988. Caribou, wolves and man. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 3:68-72.
- 1996. Evolving perspectives on caribou population dynamics, have we got it right yet? Rangifer Special Issue 9:95-115.
- 2007. The need for the management of wolves—an open letter. Rangifer Special Issue 17:39-50.
- 2007. Woodland caribou persistence and extirpation in relic populations on Lake Superior. Rangifer Special Issue 17:57-78. , , , , and .
- 1986. Dynamics of caribou and wolves in northern British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Zoology 64:1515-1529. , and .
- 1987. Displacement and dispersion of parturient caribou at calving as antipredator tactics. Canadian Journal of Zoology 65:1597-1606. , and .
- 1983. The role of wolf predation in limiting a moose population. Journal of Wildlife Management 47:977-988. , , and .
- 2001. Visibility bias and development of a sightability model for tule elk. Alces 37:315-327. , , , , and .
- 2007. Comment arising from a paper by Wittmer et al.: hypothesis testing for top-down and bottom-up effects in woodland caribou population dynamics. Oecologia 154:485-492. , , , and .
- 1995. Macroecology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. Second edition. Springer-Verlag, New York, New York, USA. , and .
- 1980. Estimation of density from line transect sampling of biological populations. Wildlife Monographs 72. , , and .
- 2012. Comparative woodland caribou population surveys in Slate Islands Provincial Park, Ontario. Rangifer Special Issue 20:205-218. , , , , , , and .
- 1974. Bias in aerial survey. Journal of Wildlife Management 38:921-933.
- 1977. Sampling in aerial survey. Journal of Wildlife Management 41:605-615.
- COSEWIC. 2002. COSEWIC assessment and update status report on the woodland caribou Rangifer tarandus caribou in Canada. Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada, Ottawa. xi + 98 pp.
- 2009. The R book. John Wiley & Sons, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
- 1987. Dispersion and movements of woodland caribou near Lake Nipigon, Ontario. Journal of Wildlife Management 51:69-79. , and .
- 1993. Survival of woodland caribou in commercial forests of northern Ontario. The Forestry Chronicle 69:579-588. , and .
- 1984. Habitat use, movements and grouping behavior of woodland caribou, Rangifer tarandus caribou, in southeastern Manitoba. Canadian Field-Naturalist 98:184-190. , and .
- Environment Canada. 2008. Scientific review for the identification of critical habitat for woodland caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou), boreal population, in Canada. Environment Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Environment Canada. 2012. Recovery Strategy for the Woodland Caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou), Boreal population, in Canada. Species at Risk Act Recovery Strategy Series. Environment Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. xi + 138 pp.
- 1988. Utility of the stratified random quadrat sampling census technique for woodland caribou in Yukon. Pages 119–132 in R. D. Cameron and J. L. Davis, editors. Proceedings of the 3rd North American Caribou Workshop, Alaska, 1987. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Wildlife Technical Bulletin no. 8, Juneau, USA. , and .
- 1988. The influence of wolf predation on caribou mortality in Yukon's Finlayson caribou herd. Pages 52–70 in R. D. Cameron and J. L. Davis, editors. Proceedings of the 3rd North American Caribou Workshop, Alaska, 1987. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Wildlife Technical Bulletin no. 8, Juneau, USA. , and .
- 2004. Seasonal movement patterns of woodland caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou). Journal of Zoology 262:125-134. , and .
- 2011. Conservation of caribou (Rangifer tarandus) in Canada: an uncertain future. Canadian Journal of Zoology 89:419-434. , , , , and .
- 1973. Climatography of Pukaskwa National Park, Ontario. Atmospheric Environment Service, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- 2008. Some human, aircraft and animal factors affecting aerial surveys—how to enumerate animals from the air. Wildlife Research 35:258-267. , and .
- 1998. Population dynamics of large herbivores: variable recruitment with constant adult survival. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13:58-63. , , and .
- 2000. Temporal variation in fitness components and population dynamics of large herbivores. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 31:367-393. , , , , and .
- 1985. Biases in aerial transect surveys for moose during May and June. Journal of Wildlife Management 49:777-784. , , and .
- 1999. Gray whales and the value of monitoring data in implementing the U.S. Endangered Species Act. Conservation Biology 13:1215-1219. , , and .
- Government of Canada. 2002. Species at Risk Act: an act respecting the protection of wildlife species at risk in Canada. § Bill C-5, 1st Session 37th parliament, 49-50-51 Elizabeth II.
- 1989. Investigating observer bias in aerial survey by simultaneous double-counts. Journal of Wildlife Management 53:1009-1010. , and .
- 2005. Calf survival and adult sex ratio in the Bathurst herd of barren-ground caribou, 2001–2004. Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Government of the Northwest Territories, Manuscript Report no. 163. <http://www.enr.gov.nt.ca/_live/documents/content/calf_survival.pdf>. Accessed 13 Sep 2012. , , and .
- 2008. Inferences about ungulate population dynamics derived from age ratios. Journal of Wildlife Management 72:1143-1151. , , and .
- 2005. Predation by wolves interacts with the North Pacific Oscillation (NPO) on a western North American elk population. Journal of Animal Ecology 74:226-233.
- 2010. Interacting effect of wolves and climate on recruitment in a northern mountain caribou population. Oikos 119:1453-1461. , , , and .
- 2008. Trends in trappability and stop-over duration can confound interpretations of population trajectories from long-term migration ringing sites. Auk 149:375-391. , and .
- 1986. Accuracy of the multiple regression method for estimating population density in strip transects. Australian Wildlife Research 13:121-126.
- 1991. Coefficients alpha for components. Psychological Reports 69:111-114. , and .
- 2009. Trend estimation in populations with imperfect detection. Journal of Applied Ecology 46:1163-1172. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Range, population abundance and conservation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 8:409-413.
- 2007. Who needs environmental monitoring? Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 5:253-260. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Long-term datasets in biodiversity research and monitoring: assessing change in ecological communities through time. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 25:574-582. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Effects of snow depths on seasonal movements and homerange distributions of wolves, moose, and woodland caribou in and around Pukaskwa National Park, Ontario, Canada. Thesis, University of Montana, Missoula, USA.
- 2003. Guidelines for long-term monitoring protocols. Wildlife Society Bulletin 31:1000-1003. , , and .
- Ontario Woodland Caribou Recovery Team. 2008. Woodland caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou) in Ontario. Prepared for the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Peterborough, Canada.
- 1985. Seasonal movements of female caribou of the Caniapiscau Region, Quebec. Pages 47–56 in J. Meredith and A. Martell, editors. Caribou management, census techniques and status in eastern Canada. Proceedings of the Second North American Caribou Workshop, Val Morin, Quebec, Canada. McGill Subarctic Research Paper no. 40. Centre for Northern Studies and Research, McGill University, Montréal, Quebec, Canada. , and .
- Parks Canada. 2008. Pukaskwa National Park of Canada 2008 state of the park report. <http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/on/pukaskwa/plan/plan1.aspx>. Accessed 13 Sep 2012.
- 1996. Benefits and pitfalls of long-term research: a case study of black bears in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Wildlife Society Bulletin 24:443-450. , and .
- 2010. Accessible ecology: synthesis of the long, deep, and broad. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 25:592-601.
- 2012. Calving rate, calf survival rate, and habitat selection of forest-dwelling caribou in a highly managed landscape. Journal of Wildlife Management 76:189-199. , , , , and .
- 1987. Visibility bias in aerial surveys: a review of estimation procedures. Journal of Wildlife Management 51:502-510. , and .
- 2004. Separating components of detection probability in abundance estimation: an overview with diverse examples. Pages 43-58 in W. L. Thompson, editor. Sampling rare or elusive species: concepts, designs and techniques for estimating population parameters. Island Press, Washington, D.C., USA. , , , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2010. The R book. John Wiley & Sons, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. <http://www.r-project.org>. Accessed 3 Feb 2012.
- 2002. Time bias and correction factors for helicopter-based total counts of large ungulates in bushveld. South African Journal of Wildlife Research 32:115-119. , and .
- 2006. Reindeer and caribou (Rangifer tarandus) response towards human activities. Rangifer 26:55-71. , and .
- 1981. Correction of visibility bias in aerial surveys where animals occur in groups. Journal of Wildlife Management 45:993-997. , and .
- 2003. Long-term range recession and the persistence of caribou in the Taiga. Conservation Biology 17:1435-1439.
- 2001. Detection of population trends in threatened coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58:375-385. , and .
- 1987. Speed and altitude influences on helicopter surveys of mammals in brushland. Wildlife Society Bulletin 15:522-555. , and .
- 1997. Woodland caribou relative to landscape patterns in northeastern Alberta. Journal of Wildlife Management 61:622-633. , , , , and .
- 1998. Needed: less counting of caribou and more ecology. Rangifer 10:15-23.
- 2002. Update COSEWIC status report on the woodland caribou Rangifer tarandus caribou in Canada. Pages 1-98 in COSEWIC assessment and update status report on the Woodland Caribou Rangifer tarandus caribou in Canada. Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada, Ottawa. , and .
- 1979. A method of correcting population and sex and age estimates from aerial transect surveys for moose. Proceedings of the North American Moose Conference and Workshop 15:148-168.
- 1988. Does wolf predation alone limit the moose population in Pukaskwa park?: a comment. Journal of Wildlife Management 52:556-559. , and .
- 2004. Future directions in estimating abundance of rare or elusive species. Pages 389-399 in W. L. Tompson, editor. Sampling rare or elusive species: concepts, designs, and techniques for estimating population parameters. Island Press, Washington, D.C., USA.
- 2011. Spatial and temporal factors influencing sightability of elk. Journal of Wildlife Management 75:1521-1526. , , and .
- 2007. Woodland caribou extirpation and anthropogenic landscape disturbance in Ontario. Journal of Wildlife Management 71:1249-1256. , , , , and .
- 1992. Productivity and early calf survival in the Porcupine caribou herd. Journal of Wildlife Management 56:201-212. , , , and .