Characterization of the effectiveness of hexose transporters for transporting xylose during glucose and xylose co-fermentation by a recombinant Saccharomyces yeast
Version of Record online: 9 JUN 2004
Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 21, Issue 8, pages 671–684, June 2004
How to Cite
Sedlak, M. and Ho, N. W. Y. (2004), Characterization of the effectiveness of hexose transporters for transporting xylose during glucose and xylose co-fermentation by a recombinant Saccharomyces yeast. Yeast, 21: 671–684. doi: 10.1002/yea.1060
- Issue online: 9 JUN 2004
- Version of Record online: 9 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Received: 24 JUN 2003
- Indiana Twenty-first Century Research and Development Fund, USA
- Lilly Endowment Inc., USA
- 1976. The utilization of sugars by yeasts. Adv Carbohydr Chem Biochem 32: 125–234. .
- 1991. High efficiency transformation of yeast by electroporation. Methods Enzymol 194: 182–186. , .
- 1979. A rapid alkaline extraction procedure for screening recombinant plasmid DNA. Nucleic Acids Res 7: 1513–1523. , .
- 1997. The molecular genetics of hexose transport in yeasts. FEMS Microbiol Rev 21: 85–111. , .
- 1979. Qualitative detection of penicillinase produced by yeast strains carrying chimeric yeast–coli plasmids. FEBS Lett 108: 179–180. , .
- 1968. Relationship between sugar structure and competition for the sugar transport system in baker's yeast. J Bacteriol 95: 603–611. .
- 1997. Exploring the metabolic and genetic control of gene expression on a genomic scale. Science 278: 680–686. , , .
- 1999. Glucose uptake kinetics and transcription of HXT genes in chemostat cultures of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem 274: 15 350–15 359. , , , et al.
- 2001. Functional analysis of the hexose transporter homologue HXT5 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast 18: 1515–1524. , , , et al.
- 1988. The structure and regulation of phosphoglucose isomerase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Gen Genet 215: 100–106. , , , , .
- 2002. Characterization of xylose-transporting properties of yeast hexose transporters and their influence on xylose utilization. Microbiology 148: 2783–2788. , , , , .
- 1997. Stable recombinant yeasts capable of effective fermentation of both glucose and xylose. PCT Patent No.WO97/42307. , .
- 1998a. Genetically engineered Saccharomyces yeast capable of effective co-fermentation of glucose and xylose. Appl Environ Microbiol 64: 1852–1859. , , .
- 1998b. Recombinant yeasts for effective fermentation of glucose and xylose. US Patent Application, #08/148, 581, Patent No. 5,789, 210. , .
- 1999. Successful design and development of genetically engineered Saccharomyces yeasts for effective co—fermentation of glucose and xylose from cellulosic biomass to fuel ethanol. In Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, TsaoGT (ed.). Springer–Verlag: Berlin. , , , .
- 2000. Genetically engineered Saccharomyces yeasts for conversion of cellulosic biomass to environmentally friendly transportation fuel ethanol. In ACS Symposium Series 767. American Chemical Society: New York; 142–159. , , , .
- 1989. Engineering hybrid genes without the use of restriction enzymes: gene splicing by overlap extension. Gene 77: 61–68. , , , , .
- 1988. Transport of xylose and glucose in the xylose-fermenting yeast Pichia stipitis. Appl Microb Biotechnol 27: 545–548. , .
- 1993. The kinetics and regulation of D-xylose transport in Candida utilis. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 9: 357–360. , , .
- 1993. Xylose fermentation by Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 38: 776–783. , .
- 1967. Mobility of free and the loaded monosaccharide carrier in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochim Biophys Acta 135: 112–119. .
- 1970. Galactose transport in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Bacteriol 103: 671–670. , , .
- 1982. Mechanisms of the appearance of the Pasteur effect in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: inactivation of sugar transport system. J Bacteriol 152: 19–25. , , , .
- 2002. Kinetic studies on glucose and xylose transport in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 60: 186–191. , , , , .
- 1996. RNA preparation from yeast cells. In A Laboratory Guide to RNA: Isolation, Analysis and Synthesis, KriegPA (ed.). Wiley-Liss: New York; 43–50. , , , , .
- 1982. Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press: New York. , , .
- 1986. Null mutations in the SNF3 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae cause a different phenotype than do previously missense mutations. Mol Cell Biol 6: 3569–3574. , , , .
- 1996. Two glucose transporters in Saccharomyces cerevisiae are glucose sensors that generate a signal for induction of gene expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 12 428–12 432. , , , , .
- 1999. Function and regulation of yeast hexose transporters. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 63: 554–569. , .
- 1995. Identification of novel HXT genes in Saccharomyces cereviaiae reveals the impact of individual hexose transporters on glycolitic flux. Mol Microbiol 16: 157–167. , , .
- 1997. Kinetic characterization of individual hexose transporters of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and their relations to triggering mechanisms of glucose repression. Eur J Biochem 245: 324–333. , , .
- 1988. Primer-directed enzymatic amplification of DNA with a thermostable polymerase. Science 239: 487–491. , , , et al.
- 2001. Expression of E. coli araBAD operon encoding enzymes for metabolizing L-arabinose in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Enzyme Microbiol Technol 28: 16–24. , .
- 2003. DNA microarray analysis of the expression of the genes encoding major enzymes in ethanol production during glucose and xylose co-fermentation by metabolically engineered Saccharomyces yeast. Enzyme Microbiol Technol 33: 19–28. , , .
- 1994. The design of primers for PCR. In PCR Technology: Current Innovations, GriffinHG, GriffinAM (ed.). CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL; 5–11. .
- 1988. DNA transfection of Escherichia coli by electroporation. Biochim Biophys Acta 949: 318–324. .
- 2001. Deletion of GRE3 aldose reductase gene and its influence on xylose metabolism in recombinant strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae expressing the xylA and XKS1 genes. Appl Enviroment Microbiol 67: 5668–5674. , , , .
- 1999. Cloning and characterization of tree genes (SUT1–3) encoding glucose transporters of the yeast Pichia stipitis. Mol Microbiol 31: 871–883. , , .
- 1999. Concurrent knock-out of at least 20 transporter genes is required to block uptake of hexoses in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS 464: 123–128. , , , et al.
- 2001. Expression and activity of the Hxt7 high-affinity hexose transporter of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast 18: 1257–1267. , , , .