Characterization of end4+, a gene required for endocytosis in Schizosaccharomyces pombe
Article first published online: 3 AUG 2004
Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 21, Issue 10, pages 867–881, 30 July 2004
How to Cite
Iwaki, T., Tanaka, N., Takagi, H., Giga-Hama, Y. and Takegawa, K. (2004), Characterization of end4+, a gene required for endocytosis in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Yeast, 21: 867–881. doi: 10.1002/yea.1134
- Issue published online: 3 AUG 2004
- Article first published online: 3 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 19 JAN 2004
- Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Japan
- New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization, Japan
- 1993. Experiments with Fission Yeast: A Laboratory Course Manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press: New York. , , , , .
- 2001. Candida albicans INT1-induced filamentation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae depends on Sla2p. Mol Cell Biol 21: 1272–1284. , , , et al.
- 2003. The Sla2p talin domain plays a role in endocytosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics 165: 1661–1674. , , .
- 1993. Alteration of a yeast SH3 protein leads to conditional viability with defects in cytoskeletal and budding patterns. Mol Cell Biol 13: 5070–5084. , , , .
- 1999. Starvation induces vacuolar targeting and degradation of the tryptophan permease in yeast. J Cell Biol 146: 1227–1238. , , .
- 1999. GCS1, an Arf guanosine triphosphatase-activating protein in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is required for normal actin cytoskeletal organization in vivo and stimulates actin polymerization in vitro. Mol Biol Cell 10: 581–596. , , , et al.
- 1998. Regulated vacuole fusion and fission in Schizosaccharomyces pombe: an osmotic response dependent on MAP kinases. Curr Biol 8: 135–144. , , , .
- 1998. Rvs161p interacts with Fus2p to promote cell fusion in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol 141: 567–584. , , .
- 1998. Vacuole biogenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: protein transport pathways to the yeast vacuole. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 62: 230–247. , .
- 2002. Role of the Rab GTP-binding protein Ypt3 in the fission yeast exocytic pathway, and its connection to calcineurin function. Mol Biol Cell 13: 2963–2976. , , , et al.
- 1999. In vivo analysis of the domains of yeast Rvs167p suggests Rvs167p function is mediated though multiple protein interactions. Genetics 152: 881–893. , , , , .
- 1992. In vitro reactions of vacuole inheritance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol 119: 1469–1479. , , , , .
- 1991. Yeast mutant affected for viability upon nutrient starvation: characterization and cloning of the RVS161 gene. Yeast 7: 727–743. , , , .
- 2002. The ENTH domain. FEBS Lett 513: 11–18. , , , et al.
- 2001. A protein interaction map for cell polarity development. J Cell Biol 154: 549–571. , , , et al.
- 2001. Multiple roles for Rsp5p-dependent ubiquitination at the internalization step of endocytosis. J Biol Chem 276: 25 974–25 981. , .
- 1996. Ubiquitination mediated by the Npi1p/Rsp5p ubiquitin–protein ligase is required for endocytosis of the yeast uracil permease. J Biol Chem 271: 10 946–10 952. , , , , .
- 2002. Functional organization of the yeast proteome by systematic analysis of protein complexes. Nature 415: 141–147. , , , et al.
- 2000. Zinc-regulated ubiquitin conjugation signals endocytosis of the yeast ZRT1 zinc transporter. Biochem J 346: 329–336. , .
- 2003. An interaction between Sla1p and Sla2p plays a role in regulating actin dynamics and endocytosis in budding yeast. J Cell Sci 116: 2551–2564. , , , et al.
- 1988. Genetic engineering of Schizosaccharomyces pombe: a system for gene disruption and replacement using the ura4 gene as a selectable marker. Mol Gen Genet 215: 81–86. , , , .
- 1995. The GTPase Ypt7p of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is required on both partner vacuoles for the homotypic fusion step of vacuole inheritance. EMBO J 14: 5258–5270. , , , , .
- 2002. Scd5p and clathin function are important for cortical actin organization, endocytosis, and localization of Sla2p in yeast. Mol Biol Cell 13: 2607–2625. , , , et al.
- 2001. Functional analysis of the C-terminal cytoplasmic region of the M-factor receptor in fission yeast. Genes Cells 6: 201–214. , , , .
- 1993. Synthetic-lethal interactions identify two novel genes, SLA1 and SLA2, that control membrane cytoskeleton assembly in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol 122: 635–644. , , .
- 1997. Catabolite inactivation of the galactose transporter in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae: ubiquitination, endocytosis, and degradation in the vacuole. J Bacteriol 179: 1541–1549. , .
- 2003. A non-conserved Ala401 in the yeast Rsp5 ubiquitin ligase is involved in degradation of Gap1 permease and stress-induced abnormal proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 11 505–11 510. , , , .
- 1992. Characterization of a fission yeast gene, gpa2, that encodes a Gα subunit involved in the monitoring of nutrition. Genes Dev 6: 2455–2462. , , , .
- 2001. Role of the ENTH domain in phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisphosphate binding and endocytosis. Science 291: 1047–1051. , , , et al.
- 2003. Characterization of vps33+, a gene required for vacuolar biogenesis and protein sorting in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Yeast 20: 845–855. , , , et al.
- 1999. Identification of a novel domain shared by putative components of the endocytic and cytoskeletal machinery. Protein Sci 8: 435–438. , , , .
- 1998. Catabolite inactivation of the high-affinity hexose transporters Hxt6 and Hxt7 of Saccharomyces cerevisiae occurs in the vacuole after internalization by endocytosis. FEBS Lett 441: 343–347. , , , .
- 2000. Fission yeast Myosin-I, Myo1p, stimulates actin assembly by Arp2/3 complex and shores functions with WASp. J Cell Biol 151: 789–799. , , .
- 2001. Rvs161p and Rvs167p, the two yeast amphiphysin homologs, function together in vivo. J Biol Chem 276: 6016–6022. , .
- 1997. Novel genes involved in endosomal traffic in yeast revealed by suppression of a targeting-defective plasma membrane ATPase mutant. J Cell Biol 138: 731–746. , .
- 1997. Docking of yeast vacuoles is catalyzed by the Ras-like GTPase Ypt7p after symmetric priming by Sec18p (NSF). J Cell Biol 136: 307–317. , .
- 1996. Sec18p (NSF)-driven release of Sec17p (α-SNAP) can precede docking and fusion of yeast vacuoles. Cell 85: 83–94. , , .
- 1997. The I/LWEQ module: a conserved sequence that signifies F-actin binding in functionally diverse proteins from yeast to mammals. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 5679–5684. , .
- 1999. Functional genomic analysis reveals the utility of the I/LWEQ module as a predictor of protein : actin interaction. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 266: 135–140. , .
- 1991. Molecular genetic analysis of fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Methods Enzymol 194: 795–823. , , .
- 1996. Talin requires β integrin, but not vinculin, for its assembly into focal adhesion-like structures in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell 7: 1181–1193. , , , .
- 1997. Yeast actin cytoskeleton mutants accumulate a new class of Golgi-derived secretory vesicle. Mol Biol Cell 8: 1481–1499. , , , .
- 2001. Molecular requirements for the internalization step of endocytosis: insights from yeast. Biochim Biophys Acta 1535: 236–257. .
- 1999. Specific sterols required for the internalization step of endocytosis in yeast. Mol Biol Cell 10: 3943–3957. , , , , .
- 1994. Endocytosis is required for the growth of vacuolar H+-ATPase-defective yeast: identification of six new END genes. J Cell Biol 127: 373–386. , .
- 1995. end5, end6, and end7: mutations that cause actin delocalization and block the internalization step of endocytosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell 6: 1721–1742. , , , .
- 2001. The Cdc42p GTPase and its regulators of Nrf1p and Scd1p are involved in endocytic trafficking in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Biol Chem 276: 3004–3009. , .
- 1995. MOP2 (SLA2) affects the abundance of the plasma membrane H+-ATPase of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem 270: 6815–6823. , , , .
- 2002. His-to-Asp phosphorelay circuitry for regulation of sexual development in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 66: 2663–2672. , , , et al.
- 1997. Protein–protein interaction between the RVS161 and RVS167 gene products of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochim Biophys Acta 1343: 187–192. , , .
- 2003. Characterization of novel acetyltransferases found in budding and fission yeasts that detoxify a proline analogue, azetidine-2-carboxylic acid. J Biochem 133: 67–74. , , .
- 1998. F-actin distribution and function during sexual differentiation in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Cell Sci 111: 867–876. , , , .
- 1995. VPS27 controls vacuolar and endocytic traffic though a prevacuolar compartment in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol 131: 603–617. , , , .
- 1993. end3 and end4: two mutants defective in receptor-mediated and fluid-phase endocytosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol 120: 55–65. , , , .
- 1992. Morphological classification of the yeast vacuolar protein sorting mutants: evidence for a prevacuolar compartment in class E vps mutants. Mol Biol Cell 3: 1389–1402. , , , .
- 1985. Endocytosis in yeast: several of the yeast secretory mutants are defective in endocytosis. Cell 40: 1001–1009. .
- 1996. Ubiquitination of the yeast a-factor receptor. J Cell Biol 134: 661–674. , .
- 2001. Human BIN3 complements the F-actin localization defects caused by loss of Hob3p, the fission yeast homolog of Rvs161p. J Biol Chem 276: 21 670–21 677. , , , et al.
- 2003. hob1+, the fission yeast homolog of Bin1, is dispensable for endocytosis or actin organization, but required for the response to starvation or genotoxic stress. Oncogene 22: 637–648. , , .
- 1986. Schizosaccharomyces pombe and Saccharomyces cerevisiae: a look at yeasts divided. Cell 45: 781–782. , .
- 1993. Involvement of Ypt7p, a small GTPase, in traffic from late endosome to the vacuole in yeast. J Cell Sci 106: 823–830. , .
- 1995. Actin cytoskeleton and budding pattern are altered in the yeast rvs161 mutant: the Rvs161 protein shares common domains with the brain protein amphiphysin. Mol Gen Genet 246: 485–495. , . , .
- 1998. Nitrogen-regulated ubiquitination of the Gap1 permease of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell 9: 1253–1263. , .
- 2001. High efficiency transformation of Schizosaccharomyces pombe pretreated with thiol compounds by electroporation. Yeast 18: 1015–1021. , .
- 2000. Cryopreservation of competent intact yeast cells for efficient electroporation. Yeast 16: 889–896. , , .
- 1997. Vacuolar protein sorting in fission yeast: cloning, biosynthesis, transport and processing of carboxypeptidase Y from Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Bacteriol 179: 4179–4189. , , , et al.
- 1995. Schizosaccharomyces pombe Vps34p, a phosphatidylinositol-specific PI 3-kinase essential for normal cell growth and vacuole morphology. J Cell Sci 108: 3745–3756. , , .
- 1993. Schizosaccharomyces pombe map3+ encodes the putative M-factor receptor. Mol Cell Biol 13: 80–88. , , , .
- 1995. A new vital stain for visualizing vacuolar membrane dynamics and endocytosis in yeast. J Cell Biol. 128: 779–792. , .
- 1992. Genes for directing vacuolar morphogenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. I. Isolation and characterization of two classes of vam mutants. J Biol Chem 267: 18 665–18 670. , , .
- 1998. Protein traffic in the yeast endocytic and vacuolar protein sorting pathways. Curr Opin Cell Biol 10: 513–522. , , .
- 1996. A novel fluorescence-activated cell sorter-based screen for yeast endocytosis mutants identifies a yeast homologue of mammalian eps15. J Cell Biol 135: 1485–1500. , , , .
- 1999. Yeast epsins contain an essential N-terminal ENTH domain, bind clathin and are required for endocytosis. EMBO J 18: 4383–4393. , , .
- 1997. End4p/Sla2p interacts with actin-associated proteins for endocytosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell 8: 2291–2306. , , , et al.
- 2001. Generation of an isogenic collection of yeast actin mutants and identification of thee interrelated phenotypes. Genetics 157: 533–543. , , , , .
- 1992. Endocytosis in yeast: evidence for the involvement of a small GTP-binding protein (Ypt7p). Cell 71: 1131–1142. , , .
- 2001. Identification and characterization of Saccharomyces cerevisiae mutants defective in fluid-phase endocytosis. Yeast 18: 759–773. , , .
- 2001. Roles of a fimbrin and an α-actinin-like protein in fission yeast cell polarization and cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell 12: 1061–1077. , , .
- 1999. Sla2p is associated with the yeast cortical actin cytoskeleton via redundant localization signals. Mol Biol Cell 10: 2265–2283. , , .
- 2000. Sphingoid base synthesis requirement for endocytosis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. EMBO J 19: 2824–2833. , , , et al.
- 1998. Isolation of yeast mutants defective for localization of vacuolar vital dyes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 11 721–11 726. , , , , .