The effect of increased yeast alcohol acetyltransferase and esterase activity on the flavour profiles of wine and distillates
Version of Record online: 17 JUL 2006
Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 23, Issue 9, pages 641–659, 15 July 2006
How to Cite
Lilly, M., Bauer, F. F., Lambrechts, M. G., Swiegers, J. H., Cozzolino, D. and Pretorius, I. S. (2006), The effect of increased yeast alcohol acetyltransferase and esterase activity on the flavour profiles of wine and distillates. Yeast, 23: 641–659. doi: 10.1002/yea.1382
- Issue online: 17 JUL 2006
- Version of Record online: 17 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 MAY 2006
- Manuscript Received: 21 MAR 2006
- Winetech, South Africa
- National Research Foundation, South Africa
- AusubelFM, BrentR, KingstonRE (eds). 1994. Current Protocols in Molecular Biology, vol. 13.0.1–13.14.17. Wiley: New York.
- 1998. Esterase activity and release of ethyl esters of medium-chain fatty acids by Saccharomyces cerevisiae during anaerobic growth. Can J Microbiol 44: 1171–1176. , , .
- 1988. A convenient dominant selection marker for gene transfer in industrial strains of Saccharomyces yeast: SMR1 encoded resistance to the herbicide sulphometuron methyl. J Inst Brew 94: 93–97. , , .
- 1999. Pregnenolone esterification in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: A potential detoxification mechanism. Eur J Biochem 261: 317–324. , , , , .
- 2006. The application of gene technology in the wine industry. In Handbook of Food Science, Technology and Engineering, vol 4—Food Technology and Food Processing, HuiHY, Castell-PerezE, CunhaLM, et al (eds). CRC Taylor & Francis: New York; 40-1–40-21. , , .
- 1994. Molecular cloning, sequence analysis, and expression of the yeast alcohol acetyltransferase gene. Appl Environ Microbiol 60: 2786–2792. , , , et al.
- 1996. Acetate ester production by Saccharomyces cerevisiae lacking the ATF1 gene encoding the alcohol acetyltransferase. J Ferment Bioeng 81: 538–542. , , .
- 1997. Effect of aeration and unsaturated fatty acids on expression of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae alcohol acetyltransferase gene. Appl Environ Microbiol 63: 910–915. , , , , .
- 1996. Molecular cloning and nucleotide sequence of the isoamyl acetate-hydrolysing esterase gene (EST2) from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Ferment Bioeng 82: 8–15. , , , et al.
- 1998. Brewing properties of saké yeast whose EST2 gene encoding isoamyl acetate-hydrolysing esterase was disrupted. J Ferment Bioeng 85: 101–106. , , , et al.
- 2000. Purification and characterization of isoamyl acetate-hydrolysing esterase by the IAH1 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae from a recombinant Escherichia coli. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 53: 596–600. , , , et al.
- 1998. A novel esterase from Saccharomyces carlsbergiensis, a possible function for the yeast TIP1 gene. Yeast 14: 793–803. , , , .
- 2004. Variation in 4-mercapto-4-methyl-pentan-2-one release by Saccharomyces cerevisiae commercial wine strains under different wine fermentation conditions. FEMS Microbiol Lett 240: 125–129. , , , et al.
- 2005. Genetic determinants of volatile thiol release by Saccharomyces cerevisiae during wine fermentation. Appl Environ Microbiol 71: 5420–5426. , , , et al.
- 2000. Yeast and its importance to wine aroma. S Afr J Enol Vitic 21: 97–129. , .
- 2000. Effect of increased yeast alcohol acetyltransferase activity on flavour profiles of wine and distillates. Appl Environ Microbiol 66: 744–753. , , .
- 2006. The effect of increased yeast branched-chain amino acid transaminase activity and the production of higher alcohols on the flavour profiles of wine and distillates. FEMS Yeast Res (in press). , , , .
- 1987. Ester synthesis by Saccharomyces cerevisiae: localization of acetyl-CoA: isoamyl alcohol acetyltransferase ('AT'). Proc Eur Brew Conv 21: 377–384. , .
- 1991. A new model for the regulation of ester synthesis by alcohol acetyltransferase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae during fermentation. J Am Soc Brew Chem 49: 47–53. , , , .
- 2000. Alcohol acetyltransferases and the significance of ester synthesis in yeast. Yeast 16: 1287–1298. , .
- NaesT, IsakssonT, FearnT, DaviesT (eds). 2002. A User-friendly Guide to Multivariate Calibration and Classification. NIR Publications: Chichester, UK; 420 pp.
- 1998. Cloning and nucleotide sequence of the alcohol acetyltransferase II gene (ATF2) from Saccharomyces cerevisiae Kyokai No. 7. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 62: 1852–1857. , , .
- 1962. Formation of ethyl acetate in fermentation with brewer's yeast. III. Participation of coenzyme A. J Inst Brew 68: 398–407. .
- 1964. Formation of esters from acids by brewer's yeast. IV. Effect of higher fatty acids and toxicity of lower fatty acids. J Inst Brew 70: 233–242. .
- 1983. Formation of aroma compounds by yeast. In Aroma of Beer, Wine and Distilled Alcoholic Beverages, NykänenL, SuomalainenH (eds). Reidel: Dordrecht; 3–16. , .
- 1990. Ester formation in brewery fermentations. J Inst Brew 96: 327–331. .
- 2000. Tailoring wine yeast for the new millennium: novel approaches to the ancient art of winemaking. Yeast 16: 675–729. .
- 2002. Meeting the consumer challenge through genetically customized wine yeast strains. Trends Biotechnol 20: 426–432. , .
- 2003. The genetic analysis and tailoring of wine yeasts. In Topics in Current Genetics; Functional Genetics of Industrial Yeasts, vol 2, HohmannS (Series ed.), De WindeJH (ed.). Springer Verlag: Heidelberg; 99–142. .
- 2004. The genetic improvement of wine yeasts. In Handbook of Fungal Biotechnology, 2nd edn, AroraD, BridgePD, BhatnagarD (eds). Marcel Dekker: New York; 209–232. .
- 2005. Grape and wine biotechnology: challenges, opportunities and potential benefits. Austral J Grape Wine Res 11: 83–108. , .
- 2006. Grape and wine biotechnology: setting new goals for the design of improved grapevines, wine yeast and malolactic bacteria. In Handbook of Fruits Processing Science and Technology, HuiHY, BartaJ, CanoMP, et al. (eds). Blackwell Professional: Ames, IA; 453–489. .
- 2006. The tailoring of designer grapevines and microbial starter strains for a market-directed and quality-focused wine industry. In Handbook of Food Science, Technology and Engineering, vol 4—Food Technology and Food Processing, HuiHY, Castell-PerezE, CunhaLM, et al (eds). CRC Taylor & Francis: New York; 174-1–174-24. , , , et al.
- 2006. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae EHT1 and EEB1 genes encode novel enzymes with medium-chain fatty acid ethyl ester synthesis and hydrolysis capacity. J Biol Chem 281: 4446–4456. , , , et al.
- SambrookJ, FritschEF, ManiatisT (eds). 1989. Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press: Cold Spring Harbor, NY.
- 1979. Flavour composition of wines: a review. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 12: 59–111. .
- 2005. Yeast and bacterial modulation of wine aroma and flavour. Austral J Grape Wine Res 11: 139–173. , , , .
- 2005. Yeast modulation of wine flavor. In Advances in Applied Microbiology, vol 57, LaskinA, BennetJ, GaddG (eds). Elsevier: New York, USA; 131–175. , .
- 2005. Modulation of volatile thiol and ester aromas by modified wine yeast. Proceedings of the 11th Weurman Flavour Research Symposium, 20–24 June, Roskilde, Denmark. , , , et al.
- 2006. Meeting consumer expectations through management in vineyard and winery: The choice of yeast for fermentation offers great potential to adjust the aroma of Sauvignon Blanc wine. Austral NZ Wine Ind J 21: 34–42. , , , .
- 1981. Effects of linoleic acid supplements on the synthesis of lipids and acetate esters. J Inst Brew 87: 92–95. , , .
- 1982. Lipid metabolism and the regulation of volatile ester synthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Inst Brew 88: 90–94. , , .
- 2003a. Flavour-active esters: adding fruitiness to beer—a practical review. J Biosci Bioeng 96: 110–118. , , , et al.
- 2003b. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae alcohol acetyl transferase gene ATF1 is a target of the cAMP/PKA and FGM nutrient signalling pathways. FEMS Yeast Res 69: 285–296. , , , et al.
- 2003c. Genetic regulation of ester synthesis in brewer's yeast: new facts, insights and implications for the brewer. In Brewing Yeast Performance, vol 2, 2nd edn, SmartK (ed.). Blackwell Science: Oxford; 234–248. , , , et al.
- 2003d. Expression levels of the yeast alcohol acetyltransferase genes ATF1, Lg-ATF1 and ATF2 control the formation of a broad range of volatile esters. Appl Environ Microbiol 69: 5228–5237. , , , et al.
- 2004. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae alcohol acetyl transferase Atf1p is localized in lipid particles. Yeast 21: 367–377. , , , et al.
- 1997. Engineering pathways for malate degradation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nat Biotechnol 15: 253–257. , , , et al.
- 1998. Characterization of the ATF1 and Lg-ATF1 genes encoding alcohol acetyltransferases in the bottom fermenting yeast Saccharomyces pastorianus. J Ferment Bioeng 86: 15–20. , , , et al.