Peroxisomal metabolism is regulated by an oxygen-recognition system through organelle crosstalk between the mitochondria and peroxisomes
Version of Record online: 3 MAY 2007
Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 24, Issue 6, pages 491–498, June 2007
How to Cite
Fujimura, S., Nakagawa, T., Ito, T., Matsufuji, Y., Miyaji, T. and Tomizuka, N. (2007), Peroxisomal metabolism is regulated by an oxygen-recognition system through organelle crosstalk between the mitochondria and peroxisomes. Yeast, 24: 491–498. doi: 10.1002/yea.1487
- Issue online: 26 MAY 2007
- Version of Record online: 3 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 FEB 2007
- Manuscript Received: 10 NOV 2006
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan. Grant Numbers: 17780065, 17579
- 2004. Higher respiratory activity decreases mitochondrial reactive oxygen release and increases life span in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem 279: 49883–49888. , , , .
- 2004. Yeast cytochrome c is a sequence-specific DNA-binding protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 321: 900–904. , , , .
- 1996. Oxygen sensing and molecular adaptation to hypoxia. Physiol Rev 76: 839–885. , .
- 1997. Effects of oxygen concentration on the expression of cytochrome c and cytochrome c oxidase genes in yeast. J Biol Chem 272: 14705–14712. , , , , .
- 2006. Mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase produces nitric oxide under hypoxic conditions: implications for oxygen sensing and hypoxic signalling in eukaryotes. Cell Metab 3: 277–287. , , , , .
- 1995. RTG genes in yeast that function in communication between mitochondria and the nucleus are also required for expression of genes encoding peroxisomal proteins. J Biol Chem 270: 18141–18146. , .
- 2003. Production of reactive oxygen species by mitochondria: central role of complex III. J Biol Chem 278: 36027–36031. , , , , .
- 1994. Identification of potential target genes for Adr1p through characterization of essential nucleotides in UAS1. Mol Cell Biol 14: 3842–3852. , , , et al.
- 1996. Multiple molecular forms of alcohol oxidase from the methylotrophic yeast Pichia methanolica. Biochemistry (Moscow) 61: 1537–1544. , , , , .
- 2001. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Adr1p governs fatty acid beta-oxidation and peroxisome proliferation by regulating POX1 and PEX11. J Biol Chem 276: 31825–31830. , , , et al.
- 2006. Oxygen sensing by mitochondria at complex III: the paradox of increased reactive oxygen species during hypoxia. Exp Physiol 91: 807–819. , .
- 1991. Suitability of the shaking flask for oxygen-supply to microbiological cultures. Bioprocess Eng 7: 123–131. , .
- 1996. Unifying theory of hypoxia tolerance: molecular metabolic defense and rescue mechanisms for surviving oxygen lack. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 9493–9498. , , , .
- 2003. A mechanism of oxygen sensing in yeast. Multiple oxygen-responsive steps in the haem biosynthetic pathway affect Hap1 activity. J Biol Chem 278: 50771–50780. , , , et al.
- 2003. Global analysis of protein localization in budding yeast. Nature 425: 686–691. , , , et al.
- 1998. Oxygen sensing and the transcriptional regulation of oxygen-responsive genes in yeast. J Exp Biol 201: 1177–1195. , , .
- 2006. Mxr1p, a key regulator of the methanol utilization pathway and peroxisomal genes in Pichia pastoris. Mol Cell Biol 26: 883–897. , , , et al.
- 2005. Mitochondrial complex III is required for hypoxia-induced ROS production and cellular oxygen sensing. Cell Metab 1: 401–408. , , , et al.
- 1969. Effect of shaking speed and type of closure on shake flask cultures. Appl Environ Microbiol 17: 286–290. , .
- 2006. Regulation of two distinct alcohol oxidase promoters in the methylotrophic yeast Pichia methanolica. Yeast 23: 15–22. , , , et al.
- 2004. Molecular characterization of the glutathione-dependent formaldehyde dehydrogenase gene FLD1 from the methylotrophic yeast Pichia methanolica. Yeast 21: 445–453. , , , et al.
- 2002. Physiological role of the second alcohol oxidase gene MOD2 in the methylotrophic growth of Pichia methanolica. Yeast 19: 1067–1073. , , , et al.
- 1999. Alcohol oxidase hybrid oligomers formed in vivo and in vitro. Yeast 15: 1223–1230. , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of alcohol oxidase isozymes in gene-disrupted strains of methylotrophic yeast Pichia methanolica. J Biosci Bioeng 91: 225–227. , , , et al.
- 1996. Isozymes of methanol oxidase in a methanol-utilizing yeast, Pichia methanolica IAM 12 901. J Ferment Bioeng 81: 498–503. , , .
- 1999. Models for oxygen sensing in yeast: implications for oxygen-regulated gene expression in higher eukaryotes. Respir Physiol 115: 119–133. .
- 2004. Experimental strategies for analyzing oxygen sensing in yeast. Methods Enzymol 381: 644–662. , , , , .
- 1998. Development of the methylotrophic yeast Pichia methanolica for the expression of the 65 kDa isoform of human glutamate decarboxylase. Yeast 14: 11–23. , , , et al.
- 1998. Regulation of peroxisomal proteins and organelle proliferation by multiple carbon sources in the methylotrophic yeast, Candida boidinii. Yeast 14: 1175–1187. , , , .
- 2003. Transcriptional control of nonfermentative metabolism in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet 43: 139–160. .
- 1995. A C-terminal region of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae transcription factor ADR1 plays an important role in the regulation of peroxisome proliferation by fatty acids. Mol Gen Genet 249: 289–296. , , , et al.
- 2000. Oxygen and haem regulate the synthesis of peroxisomal proteins: catalase A, acyl-CoA oxidase and Pex1p in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae; the regulation of these proteins by oxygen is not mediated by haem. Biochem J 350: 313–319. , .
- 1973. Isolation and characterization of acid phosphatase mutants in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Bacteriol 113: 727–738. , , , .
- 2003. Multiple pathways are co-regulated by the protein kinase Snf1 and the transcription factors Adr1 and Cat8. J. Biol Chem 278: 26146–26158. , , , .
- 1992. Regulation of gene expression by oxygen in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Microbiol Rev 56: 1–11. , .