A vector set for systematic metabolic engineering in Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Article first published online: 8 OCT 2010
Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 28, Issue 2, pages 123–136, February 2011
How to Cite
Fang, F., Salmon, K., Shen, M. W. Y., Aeling, K. A., Ito, E., Irwin, B., Tran, U. P. C., Hatfield, G. W., Da Silva, N. A. and Sandmeyer, S. (2011), A vector set for systematic metabolic engineering in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast, 28: 123–136. doi: 10.1002/yea.1824
- Issue published online: 19 JAN 2011
- Article first published online: 8 OCT 2010
- Accepted manuscript online: 10 SEP 2010 06:03PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Received: 10 JUL 2010
- National Science Foundation
- UC Discovery. Grant Number: Bio06-10630
- Public Health Services. Grant Number: GM33281
- 1987. A method for gene disruption that allows repeated use of URA3 selection in the construction of multiply disrupted yeast strains. Genetics 116: 541–545. , , .
- 2005. Methods in Yeast Genetics: A Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Course Manual, 2005 edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press: Cold Spring Harbor, NY. , , .
- 2008. Current Protocols in Molecular Biology. Wiley: Hoboken, NJ. .
- 1998. Designer deletion strains derived from Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288C: a useful set of strains and plasmids for PCR-mediated gene disruption and other applications. Yeast 14: 115–132. , , , et al.
- 1990. Transfer RNA genes are genomic targets for de novo transposition of the yeast retrotransposon Ty3. Genetics 126: 837–850. , .
- 1992. Multifunctional yeast high-copy-number shuttle vectors. Gene 110: 119–122. , , , et al.
- 2000. Exploring redundancy in the yeast genome: an improved strategy for use of the cre–loxP system. Gene 252: 127–135. , , , et al.
- 1996. Integration of the yeast retrotransposon Ty1 is targeted to regions upstream of genes transcribed by RNA polymerase III. Genes Dev 10: 620–633. , .
- 1986. Toxic effects of excess cloned centromeres. Mol Cell Biol 6: 2213–2222. , .
- 1997. A set of vectors with a tetracycline-regulatable promoter system for modulated gene expression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast 13: 837–848. , , , .
- 1995. Studies on the transformation of intact yeast cells by the LiAc/SS–DNA/PEG procedure. Yeast 11: 355–360. , , , .
- 1988. New yeast–Escherichia coli shuttle vectors constructed with in vitro mutagenized yeast genes lacking six-base pair restriction sites. Gene 74: 527–534. , .
- 1996. Life with 6000 genes. Science 274:546, 563–567. , , , et al.
- 2008. Use of the TRP1 auxotrophic marker for gene disruption and phenotypic analysis in yeast: a note of warning. Fems Yeast Res 8: 2–5. , , , .
- 2002. A second set of loxP marker cassettes for Cre-mediated multiple gene knockouts in budding yeast. Nucleic Acids Res 30: e23. , , , et al.
- 1996. A new efficient gene disruption cassette for repeated use in budding yeast. Nucleic Acids Res 24: 2519–2524. , , , et al.
- 2007. Optimizing scaleup yield for protein production: computationally optimized DNA assembly (CODA) and translation engineering. Biotechnol Annu Rev 13: 27–42. , .
- 1984. Interaction of the bacteriophage P1 recombinase Cre with the recombining site loxP. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81: 1026–1029. , .
- 1987. A ten-minute DNA preparation from yeast efficiently releases autonomous plasmids for transformation of Escherichia coli. Gene 57: 267–272. , .
- 1994. tRNA genes as transcriptional repressor elements. Mol Cell Biol 14: 1266–1277. , , , .
- 1993. Hotspots for unselected Ty1 transposition events on yeast chromosome III are near tRNA genes and LTR sequences. Cell 73: 1007–1018. , , , et al.
- 2002. Overproduction of pentose phosphate pathway enzymes using a new CRE–loxP expression vector for repeated genomic integration in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast 19: 225–231. , .
- 1998. Transposable elements and genome organization: a comprehensive survey of retrotransposons revealed by the complete Saccharomyces cerevisiae genome sequence. Genome Res 8: 464–478. , , , et al.
- 1991. Adjacent pol II and pol III promoters: transcription of the yeast retrotransposon Ty3 and a target tRNA gene. Nucleic Acids Res 19: 1317–1324. , .
- 2007. Cell growth restoration and high level protein expression by the promoter of hexose transporter, HXT7, from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biotechnol Lett 29: 1287–1292. , , .
- 2008. Computationally optimised DNA assembly of synthetic genes. Int J Bioinform Res Appl 4: 324–336. , , , .
- 1996. Ty1-mediated integration of expression cassettes: host strain effects, stability, and product synthesis. Biotechnol Prog 12: 548–554. , .
- 1997. Improved efficiency and stability of multiple cloned gene insertions at the delta sequences of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 48: 339–345. , .
- 2006. Application of sequential integration for metabolic engineering of 1,2-propanediol production in yeast. Metab Eng 8: 58–65. , .
- 2005. Happy together: the life and times of Ty retrotransposons and their hosts. Cytogenet Genome Res 110: 70–90. , .
- 1995. Gene disruption with PCR products in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Gene 158: 113–117. , , , et al.
- 2005. Dual luciferase assay system for rapid assessment of gene expression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell 4: 1539–1549. , , .
- 1986. The yeast 2 µ plasmid: strategies for the survival of a selfish DNA. Mol Gen Genet 205: 417–421. , , .
- 2009. pBT, a novel vector for tetracycline-regulated yeast three-hybrid assay. Nucleic Acids Res 37: e11. .
- 1994. Regulatable promoters of Saccharomyces cerevisiae: comparison of transcriptional activity and their use for heterologous expression. Nucleic Acids Res 22: 5767–5768. , , .
- 1995. Yeast vectors for the controlled expression of heterologous proteins in different genetic backgrounds. Gene 156: 119–122. , , .
- 1996. Probing the limits of expression levels by varying promoter strength and plasmid copy number in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Gene 175: 253–260. , , .
- 2007. Transient marker system for iterative gene targeting of a prototrophic fungus. Appl Environ Microbiol 73: 7240–7245. , , , et al.
- 2000. A novel strategy for constructing N-terminal chromosomal fusions to green fluorescent protein in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett 485: 29–34. , , .
- 2005. Utility of the FLP–FRT recombination system for genetic manipulation of rice. Plant Cell Rep 23: 721–726. , .
- 1987. Functional expression of the cre–lox site-specific recombination system in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol 7: 2087–2096. .
- 1994. Recycling selectable markers in yeast. Biotechniques 16: 1086–1088. .
- 1979. Replacement of chromosome segments with altered DNA sequences constructed in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76: 4951–4955. , .
- 1996. Dual-luciferase reporter assay: an advanced coreporter technology integrating firefly and Renilla luciferase assays. Promega Notes 57: 2–9. , , , .
- 1991. In vitro mutagenesis and plasmid shuffling: from cloned gene to mutant yeast. Methods Enzymol 194: 302–318. , .
- 1989. A system of shuttle vectors and yeast host strains designed for efficient manipulation of DNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics 122: 19–27. , .
- 2002. A method for plasmid purification directly from yeast. Anal Biochem 307: 13–17. , .
- 1996. Site-specific integration of heterologous genes in yeast via Ty3 retrotransposition. Biotechnol Bioeng 51: 703–712. , .
- 2000. A recyclable Candida albicans URA3 cassette for PCR product-directed gene disruptions. Yeast 16: 65–70. , , , .
- 1985. Improved M13 phage cloning vectors and host strains: nucleotide sequences of the M13mp18 and pUC19 vectors. Gene 33: 103–119. , , .