Heavy metal tolerance in the psychrotolerant Cryptococcus sp. isolated from deep-sea sediments of the Central Indian Basin
Article first published online: 4 MAR 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 30, Issue 3, pages 93–101, March 2013
How to Cite
Singh, P., Raghukumar, C., Parvatkar, R. R. and Mascarenhas-Pereira, M. B. L. (2013), Heavy metal tolerance in the psychrotolerant Cryptococcus sp. isolated from deep-sea sediments of the Central Indian Basin. Yeast, 30: 93–101. doi: 10.1002/yea.2943
- Issue published online: 13 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 4 MAR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 29 JAN 2013 01:54AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 2 OCT 2012
- 2001. The biotechnological potential of piezophiles. Trends Biotechnol 19: 102–108. , .
- 2004. Extremophiles: pressure. In Microbial Diversity and Prospecting, Bull AT (ed.). ASM Press: Washington, DC; 154–159. , , .
- 2008. Global screening of genes essential for growth in high-pressure and cold environments: searching for basic adaptive strategies using a yeast deletion library. Genetics 178: 851–872. , .
- 2001. Isolation of a highly copper-tolerant yeast, Cryptococcus sp., from the Japan Trench and the induction of superoxide dismutase activity by Cu2+. Biotechnol Lett 23: 2027–2034. , , , et al.
- 2006. Characterization of cold- and high-pressure-active polygalacturonases from a deep-sea yeast, Cryptococcus liquefaciens strain N6. Biochem Biosci Biotechnol 70: 296–299. , , , et al.
- 1994. Bioaccumulation of metal cations by Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 41: 149–154. , .
- 2002. Biosorption of cadmium ions by different yeast species. Z Naturforsch 57: 634–637. , , , et al.
- 2007. Biosorption of Pb(II) by industrial strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae immobilized on the biomatrix of cone biomass of Pinus nigra: equilibrium and mechanism analysis. Chem Eng J 131: 293–300. , , , .
- 2000. Studies on biosorption of zinc(II) and copper(II) on Desulfovibrio desulfuricans. Int Biodeter Biodegr 46: 11–18. , , , et al.
- 2006. Fungi in deep-sea sediments of the Central Indian Basin. Deep Sea Res 1 53: 14–27. , , .
- 1998. Heavy metal biosorption by dried mycelium of Fusarium flocciferum. Water Environ Res 70: 370–375. , , .
- 2001. Bioaccumulation of copper (II) and nickel (II) by the non-adapted and adapted growing Candida sp. Water Res 35: 1425–1434. , .
- 2004. Adsorption of heavy metals by biomaterials derived from the marine alga Ecklonia maxima. Hydrometallurgy 73: 1–10. , .
- 1992. Heavy metal biosorption by fungal mycelial by-products: mechanisms and influence of pH. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 37: 399–403. , .
- 2004. Synthesis and characterization of polyamphoteric hydrogel membrane based on chitosan. J Appl Polym Sci 93: 1454–1461. , .
- 2004. Metal–ion interactions with sugar. The crystal structure and FTIR study of an SrCl2–fructose complex. Carbohyd Res 339: 1421–1426. , .
- 1990a. Susceptibility to heavy metals and characterization of heterotrophic bacteria isolated from two hydrothermal vent polychaetes, Alvinella pompejana and Alvinella caudata. Appl Environ Microbiol 56: 3308–3314. , .
- 1990b. Resistance to heavy metals of heterotrophic bacteria isolated from the deep sea hydrothermal vent polychaete, Alvinella pompejana. Prog Oceanogr 24: 81–88. , .
- 1996. Properties of obligately barophilic bacteria isolated from a sample of deep-sea sediment from the Izu-Bonin trench. Mar Biotechnol 4: 96–99. , , .
- 2012. Metal tolerance and sequestration of Ni(II), Zn(II) and Cr(VI) ions from simulated and electroplating wastewater in batch process: kinetics and equilibrium study. Int Biodeter Biodegr 66: 82–90. , , , .
- 1985. Hydrothermal vents and polymetallic sulfides of the Galapagos and Gorda/Juan de Fuca ridge systems and of submarine volcanoes. Biol Soc Washington Bull 6: 19–41. .
- 2005. Alterations in geochemical associations in artificially disturbed deep-sea sediments. Marine Georesour Geotec 23: 373–400. , , .
- 1989. Geochemical evidence of terrigenous influence in deep-sea sediments up to 8°S in the Central Indian Basin. Marine Geol 87: 301–313. , , .
- 2003. Comparative study of the biosorption of Pb(II), Ni(II) and Cr(VI) ions onto S. cerevisiae: determination of biosorption heats. J Hazard Mater 100: 219–229. , .
- 2004. Mechanisms of biosorption of different heavy metals by brown marine macroalgae. Biotechnol Bioeng 87: 451–458. , , .
- 2008. Biosorption of copper by yeast, Loddermyces elongisporus, isolated from industrial effluents: its potential use in wastewater treatment. J Basic Microbiol 48: 195–201. , , .
- 2000. Geochemical characteristics of deep-sea sediments from the Arabian Sea: a high-resolution study. Deep Sea Res 2 47: 2735–2768. , , , et al.
- 2002. Copper resistant bacteria from industrial effluents and their role in remediation of heavy metals in wastewater. Folia Microbiol 47: 43–50. , .
- 2010. Phylogenetic diversity of culturable fungi from the deep-sea sediments of the Central Indian Basin and their growth characteristics. Fungal Divers 40: 89–102. , , , .
- 2012. Differentially expressed genes under simulated deep-sea conditions in the psychrotolerant yeast Cryptococcus sp. NIOCC#PY13. Extremophiles 16: 777–785. , , , .
- 2005. Study on biosorption of Cr(VI) by Mucor hiemalis. Biochem Eng J 23: 185–192. , , .
- 2006. Isolation and characterization of manganese resistant bacteria from deep sea sediments. J Xiamen Uni 45: 272–276. , .
- 2006. Metal tolerance of yeasts isolated from water, soil and plant environments. J Basic Microbiol 46: 145–152. , .
- 2009. Removal of multi-heavy metals using biogenic manganese oxides generated by a deep-sea sedimentary bacterium, Brachybacterium sp. strain Mn32. Microbiol SGM 155: 1989–1996. , , , .
- 2004. A Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy study of sugar glasses. Carb Res 339: 1077–1085. , , , .
- 2003. Heavy-metal removal from aqueous solution by fungus Mucor rouxii. Water Res 37: 4486–4496. , .