Interaction of SMKT, a killer toxin produced by Pichia farinosa, with the yeast cell membranes
Article first published online: 25 OCT 2001
Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 18, Issue 16, pages 1471–1478, December 2001
How to Cite
Suzuki, C., Ando, Y. and Machida, S. (2001), Interaction of SMKT, a killer toxin produced by Pichia farinosa, with the yeast cell membranes. Yeast, 18: 1471–1478. doi: 10.1002/yea.791
- Issue published online: 21 NOV 2001
- Article first published online: 25 OCT 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JUL 2001
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUN 2001
- Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Japan
- 1999. A molecular target for viral killer toxin: TOK1 potassium channels. Cell 99: 283–291. , , , , , .
- 1991. K1 killer toxin, a pore-forming protein from yeast. Mol Microbiol 5: 2339–2343. .
- 1982. Isolation of intracellular membranes by means of sodium carbonate treatment: application to endoplasmic reticulum. J Cell Biol 93: 97–102. , , , .
- 1995. Structure and function of a virally encoded fungal toxin from Ustilago maydis: a fungal and mammalian Ca2+ channel inhibitor. Structure 3: 805–814. , , , , , .
- 1998. Mycocins (Killer toxins). In The Yeasts, A Taxonomic Study, KurtzmanCP, FellJW (eds). Elsevier: Amsterdam; 55–62. .
- 1983. Cell wall receptor for yeast killer toxin: involvement of (16)-β-D-glucan. J Bacteriol 154: 161–169. , .
- 1994. MID1, a novel Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene encoding a plasma membrane protein, is required for Ca2+ influx and mating. Mol Cell Biol 14: 8259–8271. , , , , .
- 1997. The novel acidophilic structure of the killer toxin from halotolerant yeast demonstrates remarkable folding similarity with a fungal killer toxin. Structure 5: 81–94. , , , et al.
- 1990. Isolation and characterization of mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae resistant to killer toxin of Kluyveromyces lactis. J Ferment Bioeng 70: 222–227. , , , et al.
- 1998. Action properties of HYI killer toxin from Williopsis saturnus var. saturnus, and antibiotics, aculeacin A and papulacandin B. Biol Pharm Bull 21: 1013–1019. , , , et al.
- 2000. Design of a novel membrane-destabilizing peptide selectively acting on acidic liposomes. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 64: 985–994. , , , , .
- 1995. Simultaneous measurement of bacterial flagellar rotation rate and swimming speed. Biophys J 69: 2154–2162. , , , , , .
- 1990. Yeast K1 killer toxin forms ion channels in sensitive yeast spheroplasts and in artificial liposomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87: 6228–6232. , , , et al.
- 1984. Comparison of the killer toxin of several yeasts and the purification of a toxin of type K2. Arch Microbiol 137: 357–361. , .
- 1998. Opening-up of liposomal membranes by talin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 1026–1031. , , , .
- 1987. Mannoprotein of the yeast cell wall as primary receptor for the killer toxin of Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain 28. J Gen Microbiol 133: 3347–3354. , .
- 1999. Secretion of a protoxin post-translationally controlled by NaCl in a halotolerant yeast, Pichia farinosa. Yeast 15: 123–131. .
- 1997. Circular dichroism analysis of the interaction between the α and β subunits in a killer toxin produced by a halotolerant yeast, Pichia farinosa. Protein Engin 10: 99–101. , , , et al.
- 2000. Lethal effect of the expression of a killer gene SMK1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Protein Engng 13: 73–76. , , , , , .
- 1989. Purification and properties of the killer toxin produced by a halotolerant yeast, Pichia farinosa. Agric Biol Chem 53: 2599–2604. , .
- 1994. The primary and subunit structure of a novel type killer toxin produced by a halotolerant yeast, Pichia farinosa. J Biol Chem 269: 3041–3046. , .
- 1999. P-type ATPase spf1 mutants show a novel resistant mechanism for the killer toxin SMKT. Mol Microbiol 32: 813–824. , .
- 1991. Yeast dsRNA viruses: replication and killer phenotypes. Mol Microbiol 5: 2331–2338. , .