Homing at an extragenic locus mediated by VDE (PI-SceI) in Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Article first published online: 15 MAY 2002
Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 19, Issue 9, pages 773–782, 30 June 2002
How to Cite
Nogami, S., Fukuda, T., Nagai, Y., Yabe, S., Sugiura, M., Mizutani, R., Satow, Y., Anraku, Y. and Ohya, Y. (2002), Homing at an extragenic locus mediated by VDE (PI-SceI) in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast, 19: 773–782. doi: 10.1002/yea.872
- Issue published online: 15 MAY 2002
- Article first published online: 15 MAY 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 MAR 2002
- Manuscript Received: 19 JAN 2002
- Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture, Japan
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science for Young Scientists
- 1997. Methods in Yeast Genetics. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press: New York. , , , (eds).
- 1997. Protein splicing: its chemistry and biology. Genes Cells 2: 359–367. .
- 1993. Lethality induced by a single site-specific double-strand break in a dispensable yeast plasmid. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90: 5613–5617. , , , .
- 1997. Crystal structure of PI-Sce, a homing endonuclease with protein splicing activity. Cell 89: 555–564. , , .
- 1992. Homing of a DNA endonuclease gene by meiotic gene conversion in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nature 357: 301–306. , .
- 1995. Substitutions in conserved dodecapeptide motifs that uncouple the DNA binding and DNA cleavage activities of PI-Sce endonuclease. J Biol Chem 270: 5849–5856. , .
- 1996. Substrate recognition and induced DNA distortion by the PI-Sce endonuclease, an enzyme generated by protein splicing. J Mol Biol 263: 163–180. , .
- 1998. Amino acid residues in both the protein splicing and endonuclease domains of the PI-Sce intein mediate DNA binding. J Biol Chem 273: 4607–4615. , , , , , .
- 1990. Molecular structure of a gene, VMA1, encoding the catalytic subunit of H+-translocating adenosine triphosphatase from vacuolar membranes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem 265: 6726–6733. , , , , , .
- 2000. Probing the structure of the PI-Sce–DNA complex by affinity cleavage and affinity photocross-linking. J Biol Chem 275: 2705–2712. , , , , .
- 1990. Yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae selectable markers in pUC18 polylinkers. Yeast 6: 363–366. , .
- 1974. Carbohydrate metabolism during ascospore development in yeast. J Bacteriol 118: 8–14. , .
- 1990. Protein splicing converts the yeast TFP1 gene product to the 69 kDa subunit of the vacuolar H+-adenosine triphosphatase. Science 250: 651–657. , , , , , .
- 1997. Identification of three core regions essential for protein splicing of the yeast Vma1 protozyme. A random mutagenesis study of the entire VMA1-derived endonuclease sequence. J Biol Chem 272: 15668–15674. , , , , .
- 1993. Introns as mobile genetic elements. Ann Rev Biochem 62: 587–622. , .
- 1980. The RAD52 gene is required for homothallic interconversion of mating types and spontaneous mitotic recombination in yeast. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 77: 503–507. , .
- 1996. Capture of retrotransposon DNA at the sites of chromosomal double-strand breaks. Nature 383: 644–646. , .
- 1997. Probing novel elements for protein splicing in the yeast Vma1 protozyme: a study of replacement mutagenesis and intragenic suppression. Genetics 147: 73–85. , , , .
- 1998. Mutations in the MRE11, RAD50, XRS2, and MRE2 genes alter chromatin configuration at meiotic DNA double-stranded break sites in premeiotic and meiotic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 646–651. , , , , , .
- 1991. Calcium-sensitive cls mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae showing a Pet-phenotype are ascribable to defects of vacuolar membrane H+-ATPase activity. J Biol Chem 266: 13971–13977. , , , , , .
- 1998. Protein splicing of inteins and hedgehog autoproteolysis: structure, function, and evolution. Cell 92: 1–4. .
- 1994. Protein splicing elements: inteins and exteins—a definition of terms and recommended nomenclature. Nucleic Acids Res 22: 1125–1127. , , , et al.
- 1999. Mitochondrial DNA repairs double-strand breaks in yeast chromosomes. Nature 402: 96–100. , , .
- 1989. Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press: New York. , , .
- 1995. RASMOL: biomolecular graphics for all. Trends Biochem Sci 20: 374–374. , .
- 1989. A system of shuttle vectors and yeast host strains designed for efficient manipulation of DNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics 122: 19–27. , .
- 1996. Retrotransposon reverse-transcriptase-mediated repair of chromosomal breaks. Nature 383: 641–644. , , .
- 1999. Patching broken chromosomes with extranuclear cellular DNA. Mol Cell 4: 873–881. , .