These authors contributed equally to this work
Functional Analysis Report
Functional analysis of yeast gene families involved in metabolism of vitamins B1 and B6
Version of Record online: 23 SEP 2002
Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 19, Issue 14, pages 1261–1276, October 2002
How to Cite
Rodríguez-Navarro, S., Llorente, B., Rodríguez-Manzaneque, M. T., Ramne, A., Uber, G., Marchesan, D., Dujon, B., Herrero, E., Sunnerhagen, P. and Pérez-Ortín, J. E. (2002), Functional analysis of yeast gene families involved in metabolism of vitamins B1 and B6. Yeast, 19: 1261–1276. doi: 10.1002/yea.916
- Issue online: 23 SEP 2002
- Version of Record online: 23 SEP 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Received: 7 MAY 2002
- Eu. Grant Number: B104-CT97-2294
- Swedish Natural Science Research Council. Grant Number: 2000-5471
- CICYT, Spain. Grant Number: B1098-1316-CE
- Generalitat de Catalunya, Spain. Grant Number: 1999SGR 00170
- 1993. Using the two-hybrid system to detect protein–protein interactions. In Cellular Interactions in Development: a Practical Approach, HartleyD (ed.). Oxford University Press: Oxford; 153–179. , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of the pdx-1 (snz-1/sno-1) region of the Neurospora crassa genome: correlation of pyridoxine-requiring phenotypes with mutations in two structural genes. Genetics 157: 1067–1075. , , , et al.
- 1999. Thiamine biosynthesis in prokaryotes. Arch Microbiol 171: 293–300. , , , et al.
- 2000. Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) and its derivatives are efficient singlet oxygen quenchers and potential fungal antioxidants. Photochem Photobiol 71: 129–300. , , , , .
- 2000. Genomic exploration of the Hemiascomycetes yeasts: 4. The genome of Saccharomyces cerevisiae revisited. FEBS Lett 487: 31–36. , et al.
- 1994. Molecular evolution of the HSP70 multigene family. J Mol Evol 38: 1–17. , , .
- 1998. Designer deletion strain derived from Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288C: a useful set of strains and plasmids for PCR-mediated gene disruption and other applications. Yeast 14: 115–132. , , , et al.
- 1996. A stationary-phase gene in Saccharomyces cerevisiae is a member of a novel, highly conserved gene family. J Bacteriol 178: 6865–6872. , , , .
- 1997. Genetic redundancy. Adv Genet 36: 137–155. .
- 2000. Methods in Yeast Genetics. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press: New York. , , .
- DIP database 2001. http://dip.doe-mbi.ucla.edu/
- 2001. Biosynthesis of vitamin B6 and structurally related derivatives. Vit Horm 61: 121–155. , .
- 1993. The retinoblastoma protein associates with the protein phosphatase type 1 catalytic subunit. Genes Dev 7: 555–569. , , , et al.
- 2001. Isolation of PDX2, a second novel gene in the pyridoxine biosynthesis pathway of eukaryotes, archaebacteria and a subset of eubacteria. J Bacteriol 183: 3383–3390. , .
- 1999. A highly conserved sequence is a novel gene involved in de novo vitamin B6 biosynthesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 9374–9378. , , , , .
- 1996. New vectors for combinatorial deletions in yeast chromosomes and for gap-repair cloning using ‘split-marker’ recombination. Yeast 12: 1439–1457. , , , , .
- 1997. The Cln3 cyclin is downregulated by translational repression and degradation during G1 arrest caused by nitrogen deprivation in budding yeast. EMBO J 16: 7196–7206. , , , , .
- 2001. Conserved ‘hypothetical’ proteins: new hints and new puzzles. Comp Funct Genom 2: 14–18. .
- 1997. A set of vectors with a tetracycline-regulatable promoter system for modulated gene expression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast 13: 837–848. , , , .
- 2000. Genomic expression programs in the response of yeast cells to environmental changes. Mol Biol Cell 11: 4241–4257. See also http://genome-www.stanford.edu/yeast_stress/. , , , et al.
- 1996. Life with 6000 genes. Science 274: 563–567. , , .
- 1998. Transcriptional profiling on all open reading frames of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast 14: 1209–1221. , , , et al.
- 1997. Gene families: the taxonomy of protein paralogs and chimeras. Science 278: 609–614. , , , , , .
- 1998. Thiamine metabolism and thiamine diphosphate-dependent enzymes in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae: genetic regulation. Biochim Biophys Acta 1385: 201–209. , .
- 2000. Toward a protein–protein interaction map of the budding yeast: a comprehensive system to examine two-hybrid interactions in all possible combinations between the yeast proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 1143–1147. , , , et al.
- 1996. Genomic libraries and a host strain designed for highly efficient two-hybrid selection in yeast. Genetics 144: 1425–1436. , , .
- 1999. Genetic redundancy and gene fusion in the genome of baker's yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae: functional characterization of a three-member gene family involved in the thiamine biosynthetic pathway. Mol Microbiol 32: 1140–1152. , , .
- 2000. Biochemistry, 3rd edn. Addison-Wesley: San Francisco, CA. , , .
- 2001. Phylogenetic analyses and comparative genomics of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) and pyridoxal phosphate biosynthesis pathways. J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol 3: 1–20. .
- 1992. A rapid method for localized mutagenesis of yeast genes. Yeast 8: 79–82. , , .
- 1999. Thiamine repression and pyruvate decarboxylase autoregulation independently control the expression of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae PDC5 gene. FEBS Lett 449: 245–250. , , , et al.
- 1992. Cloning and characteristics of a positive regulatory gene, THI2 (PHO6), of thiamine biosynthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett 297: 155–158. , , , , .
- 1999. The extremely conserved pyroA gene of Aspergillus nidulans is required for pyridoxine synthesis and is required indirectly for resistance to photosensitizers. J Biol Chem 274: 23 565–23 569. , , .
- 1998. The highly conserved, co-regulated SNO and SNZ gene families in Saccharomyces cerevisiae respond to nutrient limitation. J Bacteriol 180: 5718–5726. , , , , .
- 1999. Functional analysis of 12 ORFs from Saccharomyces cerevisiae chromosome II. Yeast 15: 913–919. , , .
- 2000. Comparative genomics of the eukaryotes. Science 287: 2204–2215. , et al.
- 2001. Identification of highly conserved genes: SNZ and SNO in the marine sponge Suberites domunculata: their gene structure and promoter activity in mammalian cells. Biochim Biophys Acta 1520: 21–24. , et al.
- 2000. Genolevures. FEBS Lett 487: 1–149. , et al.
- 2000. Biosynthesis of pyridoxine: origin of the nitrogen atom of pyridoxine in microorganisms. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol 46: 55–57. , , , .
- 2000. Biosynthesis of thiamine under anaerobic conditions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biol Pharm Bull 23: 108–111. , , , .
- 1975. Redundant genes. Ann Rev Genet 9: 355–385. .
- 1995. Origin of the nitrogen atom of pyridoxine in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochim Biophys Acta 1244: 113–116. , , , , .
- 1992. Nested chromosomal fragmentation in yeast using the meganuclease I-Sce I: a new method for physical mapping of eukaryotic genomes. Nucleic Acids Res 21: 5625–5631. , .
- 2000. A comprehensive analysis of protein–protein interaction in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nature 403: 623–627. See also http://curatools.curagen.com/extpc/com.curagen.portal.servlet.Yeast/ , et al.
- 1995. An 8.2 kb DNA segment from chromosome XIV carries the RPD3 and PAS8 genes as well as the Saccharomyces cerevisiae homologue of the thiamine-repressed nmt1 gene and a chromosome III-duplicated gene for a putative aryl-alcohol dehydrogenase. Yeast 11: 987–991. , , , .
- 1994. New heterologous modules for classical or PCR-based gene disruptions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast 13: 1793–1808. , , , .
- 1996. Stationary phase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Microbiol 19: 1159–1166. , , , .