The Educational Claims of Zoos: Where Do We Go from Here?
Article first published online: 4 JUN 2012
© 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 32, Issue 1, pages 13–18, January-February 2013
How to Cite
Moss, A. and Esson, M. (2013), The Educational Claims of Zoos: Where Do We Go from Here?. Zoo Biol., 32: 13–18. doi: 10.1002/zoo.21025
- Issue published online: 12 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 4 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 APR 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 12 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 19 JAN 2012
- 2003. Zoo education: from formal school programmes to exhibit design and interpretation. Int Zoo Yearbook 38:75–81. .
- [AZA] Association of Zoos and Aquariums. 2011. Education homepage. Downloaded on September 23, 2011. Available from: http://www.aza.org/conservation- education.
- 2007. Conservation learning in wildlife tourism settings: lessons from research in zoos and aquariums. Environ Educ Res 13:367–383. , , , .
- [BIAZA] British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums. 2011 Education homepage. Downloaded on September 23, 2011. Available from: http://www.biaza.org.uk/public/pages/educat ion/index.asp.
- [Chester Zoo] North of England Zoological Society. 2012. Education homepage. Downloaded on January 9, 2012. Available from: http://www.chesterzoo.org/education.
- [CZS] Chicago Zoological Society. 2011. Educational programs homepage. Downloaded on September 23, 2011. Available from: http://www.czs.org/CZS/Educational-Prog rams.
- 2009. Zoo experiences: conversations, connections, and concern for animals. Zoo Biol 28:377–397. , , .
- 2011. Towards a ‘contextual turn' in visitor studies: evaluating visitor segmentation and identity-related motivations. Visitor Studies 14:1–14. , .
- 2009. Being in a hard place. BIAZA Res News 10:1–3.
- 1998. The effect of visitors' agendas on museum learning. Curator 41:106–120. , , .
- 2010. Critique of a critique: do zoos and aquariums promote attitude change in visitors? Soc Anim 18:415–419. , , , .
- 2005. Free-choice environmental learning: framing the discussion. Environ Educ Res 11:265–280. .
- 2007. Why zoos and aquariums matter: assessing the impact of a visit to a zoo or aquarium. Silver Spring, MD: American Association of Zoos & Aquariums. , , , , , .
- 2009. What information do zoo & aquarium visitors want on animal identification labels? J Interpret Res 14:7–19. , , , .
- 2009. Measuring the cultural impact of zoos and aquariums. Int Zoo Yearbook 43:103–112. , .
- 1995. The unschooled mind: how children think and how schools should teach. New York: Basic books.
- 2011. Learning about animals, science and conservation: Large-scale survey-based evaluation of the educational impact of the ZSL London Zoo Formal Learning programme: Empirical evaluation research report on the impacts of zoo-based conservation education for children and young people, funded by the Greater London Authority. Downloaded on January 18, 2012. Available from: http://warwick.academia.edu/EricJensen/Pap ers/402822/Learning_about_Animals_Science_ and_Conservation_Large-scale_survey-based_ evaluation_of_the_educational_impact_of_the_ ZSL_London_Zoo_Formal_Learning_program me.
- 2009. A cyclical model of social change. Cult Psychol 15:217–228. , .
- 2006. Three responses to Cheryl Meszaros' evil “whatever” interpretation: bridging the gap between museums and visitors. Visitor Studies Today 9:16–17. , .
- 2005. Free choice environmental education: understanding where children learn outside of school. Environ Educ Res 11:297–307. .
- 2006. The influence of an interactive educational approach on visitors' learning in a Swiss zoo. Sci Educ 90:296–315. , .
- 2010. Do zoos and aquariums promote attitude change in visitors? A critical evaluation of the American zoo and aquarium study. Soc Anim 18:126–138. , , , , .
- 2007. Maternal scaffolding in two museum exhibition halls. Curator 50:341–354.
- 2008. Talking to visitors about conservation: exploring message communication through docent–visitor interactions at zoos. Visitor Studies 11:151–162. , .
- 2010. Applied research and zoo education: the evolution and evaluation of a public talks program using unobtrusive video recording of visitor behavior. Visitor Studies 13:23–40. , , .
- 2001. Public understanding of science at the crossroads. Public Underst Sci 10:115–120. .
- 2004. Emotional dimensions of watching zoo animals: an experience sampling study building on insights from psychology. Curator 47:299–321. , , .
- [National Zoo] Smithsonian National Zoological Park. 2011. Education homepage. Downloaded on September 23, 2011. Available from: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/education/default.c fm.
- 2002. Motivational factors and the visitor experience: a comparison of three sites. Curator 45:183–198. , .
- 2007. Conservation and education: prominent themes in zoo mission statements. J Environ Educ 38:53–60. , , , .
- 2002. Using interpretive animals to deliver affective messages in zoos. J Interpret Res 7:19–28. , .
- 2007. Learning at workstations in the zoo: a controlled evaluation of cognitive and affective outcomes. Visitor Studies 10:205–216. , , , .
- 2004. The nature of learning and its implications for research on learning from museums. Sci Educ 88(S1):4–16. , .
- [RSPCA]. Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. 2006. Evaluation of the effectiveness of zoos in meeting conservation and education objectives in The Welfare State: Measuring Animal Welfare in the UK 2006. Horsham, UK: RSPCA. p 95–98.
- 2005. Changing minds? Reassessing outcomes in free choice environmental education. Environ Educ Res 11:353–369. , , .
- 2009. Comparative analysis of knowledge gain between interpretive and fact-only presentations at an animal training session: an exploratory study. Zoo Biol 28:488–495. , , .
- [WAZA]. World Association of Zoos and Aquariums. 2005. The World Zoo and Aquarium Conservation Strategy: Building a future for wildlife. WAZA, Berne, Switzerland.
- [WRS] Wildlife Reserves Singapore. 2011. Education homepage. Downloaded on September 23, 2011. Available from: http://education.wrs. com.sg/.
- [ZAA] Zoo and Aquarium Association. 2011. The role of zoos and aquariums. Downloaded on September 23, 2011. Available from: http://www.zooaquarium.org.au/The-role-of- zoos-and-aquariums/default.aspx.
- [Zoos Victoria] Zoos Victoria: Melbourne Zoo. 2011. Learning experiences homepage. Downloaded on September 23, 2011. Available from:http://http://www.zoo.org.au/Melbourne/Learning _Experiences.