Sally Austen Tom, C.N.M., M.S., has a BA in anthropology and religion, a BSN from Duke University, and an MS in Parent–Child Nursing and Nurse-Midwifery from the University of Utah. She is a former member of the faculty of the nurse-midwifery education program at Georgetown University and she is currently the Government Liaison for the American College of Nurse-Midwives.
THE EVOLUTION OF NURSE-MIDWIFERY: 1900–1960*
Article first published online: 6 JAN 2011
1982 American College of Nurse Midwives
Journal of Nurse-Midwifery
Volume 27, Issue 4, pages 4–13, July-August 1982
How to Cite
Tom, S. A. (1982), THE EVOLUTION OF NURSE-MIDWIFERY: 1900–1960. Journal of Nurse-Midwifery, 27: 4–13. doi: 10.1016/0091-2182(82)90164-1
This article has been excerpted from Ms. Tom's unpublished Master's Thesis, “With Loving Hands: The Life Stories of Four Nurse-Midwives” © by Sally Austen Tom. (A biographical account of Rose McNaught appeared in JNM 24 (2) March/April: 3–8, 1979. A biographical account of Agnes Reinders appeared in JNM 25 (5) September/October: 9–12, 1980. A biographical account of Aileen Hogan appeared in JNM 26 (3) May/June: 7–11, 1981. A biographical account of Lalla Mary Goggans and an analysis of these biographical accounts will be published in later issues of JNM.)
- Issue published online: 6 JAN 2011
- Article first published online: 6 JAN 2011
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!
Patients and/or caregivers may access this content for use in relation to their own personal healthcare or that of a family member only. Terms and conditions will apply.