Mona T. Lydon-Rocheile studied nurse-midwifery at the Frontier Nursing Service School of Midwifery (1977). She received her nursing degrees at the University of New Mexico (B.S.N., 1988) and Case Western Reserve University (M.S.N., 1992). She has practiced full-scope midwifery in multiple settings, including home, birth center, private practice, and university practice. Currently, she directs a research program for the Nurse-Midwifery Division at the University of New Mexico and is a member of the Professional Research Committee of the ACNM's Division of Research.
RESEARCH TRENDS IN THE JOURNAL OF NURSE-MIDWIFERY 1987–1992
Article first published online: 6 JAN 2011
1993 American College of Nurse Midwives
Journal of Nurse-Midwifery
Volume 38, Issue 6, pages 343–348, November-December 1993
How to Cite
Lydon-Rochelle, M. and Albers, L. (1993), RESEARCH TRENDS IN THE JOURNAL OF NURSE-MIDWIFERY 1987–1992. Journal of Nurse-Midwifery, 38: 343–348. doi: 10.1016/0091-2182(93)90015-9
- Issue published online: 6 JAN 2011
- Article first published online: 6 JAN 2011
To identify selected research trends, 69 research reports were analyzed from a sample of feature articles that were published in the Journal of Nurse-Midwifery between 1987 and 1992. Systematic appraisal was performed to classify these articles according to topic, design, sampling methodology, sample size, and funding. The largest proportion of studies were conducted on clinical topics (83%). Descriptive study designs were utilized most frequently (67%). Nonprobability sampling (81%) far exceeded probability sampling (19%); however, in 1992, probability sampling increased to 75%. With the exception of 1988, funding steadily increased over the study period. These results suggest that research has primarily focused upon clinical issues and has utilized descriptive designs and nonprobability sampling.