These authors contributed equally to this paper.
Growth and survival of Escherichia coli and enterococci populations in the macro-alga Cladophora (Chlorophyta)
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2006
FEMS Microbiology Ecology
Volume 46, Issue 2, pages 203–211, November 2003
How to Cite
Byappanahalli, M. N., Shively, D. A., Nevers, M. B., Sadowsky, M. J. and Whitman, R. L. (2003), Growth and survival of Escherichia coli and enterococci populations in the macro-alga Cladophora (Chlorophyta). FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 46: 203–211. doi: 10.1016/S0168-6496(03)00214-9
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2006
- Received 25 June 2003, Revised 12 August 2003, Accepted 15 August 2003
- Shear, H. and Konasewich, D.E. (1975) Cladophora in the Great Lakes. Great Lakes Research Advisory Board, International Joint Commission Regional Office, Windsor, ON.
- 1989) Commensal bacteria living with two multicellular marine algae: Antithamnion plumula (Ellis) Thuret and Cladophora rupestris (L.) Kützing (Linne), Kützing. Phenotypic characterization. Cah. Biol. Mar. 30, 361–374., (
- Byappanahalli, M.N. (2000) Assessing the Persistence and Multiplication of Fecal Indicator Bacteria in Hawaii Soil Environment. Department of Microbiology, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, HI.
- 1999) Soil: The environmental source of Escherichia coli and enterococci in Guam's streams. J. Appl. Microbiol. Symp. Suppl. 85, 83S–89S., , , , (
- Clesceri, L.S., Greenberg, A.E. and Eaton, A.D. (1998) Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater. American Public Health Association, Washington, DC.
- Whitman, R.L., Horvath, T.G., Goodrich, M.L., Nevers, M.B., Wolcott, M.J. and Haack, S.K. (2001) Characterization of E. coli Levels at 63rd Street Beach. Report to the City of Chicago, Department of the Environment and the Chicago Park District, Chicago, IL.
- 1982) A comparison of epiphytes on Bangia atropurpurea (Rhodophyta) and Cladophora glomerata (Chlorophyta) from northern Lake Michigan. J. Great Lakes Res. 8, 164–168., , (
- Taft, C.E. (1975) History of Cladophora in the Great Lakes. In: Cladophora in the Great Lakes (Shear, H. and Konasewich, D.E., Eds.), pp. 5–16. Great Lakes Research Advisory Board, International Joint Commission Regional Office, Windsor, ON.
- Andrews, J.H. (1991) Comparative Ecology of Microorganisms and Macroorganisms. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Ashbolt, N.J., Dorsch, M.R., Cox, P.T. and Banens, B. (1997) Blooming E. coli, what do they mean? In: Coliforms and E. coli, Problem or Solution? (Kay, D. and Fricker, C., Eds.). The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge