Age- and gender-related changes in the cellularity of human bone marrow and the prevalence of osteoblastic progenitors
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2001 Orthopaedic Research Society
Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 117–125, January 2001
How to Cite
Muschler, G. F., Nitto, H., Boehm, C. A. and Easley, K. A. (2001), Age- and gender-related changes in the cellularity of human bone marrow and the prevalence of osteoblastic progenitors. J. Orthop. Res., 19: 117–125. doi: 10.1016/S0736-0266(00)00010-3
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 MAR 2000
- Manuscript Received: 28 JUN 1999
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: (R01 AR 42997)
- 1Mineralized bone nodules formed in vitro from enzymatically released rat calvaria cell populations. Calcif Tissue Int 1986; 38: 143–54., , , .
- 2The effects of dexamethasone and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 on osteogenic differentiation of human marrow stromal cells in vitro. Arch Oral Biol 1994; 39: 941–7., , , .
- 3Age-related changes in osteogenic stem cells in mice. J Bone Mineral Res 1996; 11: 568–77., , , , , .
- 4Bone sialoprotein (BSP) secretion and osteoblast differentiation: relationship to bromodeoxyuridine incorporation, alkaline phosphatase, and matrix deposition. J Histochem Cytochem 1993; 41: 183–91., , , , .
- 5An in vitro analysis of murine hemopoietic fibroblastoid progenitors and fibroblastoid cell function during aging. Mech Ageing Dev 1983; 22: 11–21., , .
- 6Autologous marrow injection as a substitute for operative grafting of tibial nonunions. Clin Orthop 1991; 266: 259–70., , , .
- 7Injectable bone marrow preparations to stimulate osteogenic repair. Clin Orthop 1995; 313: 8–18..
- 8Osteoblastic gene expression during adipogenesis in hematopoietic supporting murine bone marrow stromal cells. J Cell Physiol 1993; 154: 317–28., , , , , , , , .
- 9The number of fibroblastic colonies formed from bone marrow is decreased and the in vitro proliferation rate of trabecular bone cells increased in aged rats. Bone 1992; 13: 355–61., , , , .
- 10Bone marrow osteogenic stem cells: in vitro cultivation and transplantation in diffusion chambers. Cell Tissue Kinet 1987; 20: 263–72., , .
- 11Percutaneous bone marrow grafting of delayed union and nonunion in cancer patients. Clin Orthop 1990; 256: 280–5., , , .
- 12Abnormalities in the bone marrow of the iliac crest in patients who have osteonecrosis secondary to corticosteroid therapy or alcohol abuse. J Bone Joint Surg 1997 (July); 79-A: 1047–53., .
- 13Age-related bone loss. A hypothesis and initial assessment in mice. Clin Orthop 1995; 313: 69–75., , , .
- 14Decreased mitogenic and osteogenic responsiveness of calvarial osteoblasts isolated from aged rats to basic fibroblast growth factor. Gerontology 1995; 1: 20–7., , , , , , .
- 15Insulin-like growth factor-I in men with idiopathic osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metabol 1997; 82: 2799–805., , , , , , , , .
- 16In situ localization of PTH/PTHrP receptor mRNA in the bone of fetal and young rats. Bone 1993; 14: 341–5., , , , , .
- 17Colony-forming efficiency response of bone marrow stromal cells to acute blood loss. J Orthop Res 1992; 10(1): 145–8., , .
- 18Characterization of human bone marrow stromal cells with respect to osteoblastic differentiation. J Orthop Res 1997; 15(4): 546–57., , , , .
- 19Aspiration to obtain osteoblast progenitor cells from human bone marrow: the influence of aspiration volume. J Bone Joint Surg A 1997; 79: 1699–709., , .
- 20Lineage of osteogenic cells and their relationship to the stromal system. J Bone Min Res 1995 (Nov); 3: 1–25..
- 21Marrow stromal stem cells. J Cell Sci 1988; 10: 63–76 Suppl..
- 22Evidence for a diminished maturation of preosteoblasts into osteoblasts during aging in rats: an ultrastructural analysis. J Bone Miner Res 1994; 9: 355–66., , , , .
- 23Regulation of osteoblast-specific factor-1 (OSF-1) mRNA expression by dual promoters as revealed by RT-PCR. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1997; 238: 831–7., , , .
- 24Effects of donor age on osteogenic cells of rat bone marrow in vitro. Mech Aging Dev 1990; 51: 121–32., , , .
- 25Positive and negative immunoselection for enrichment of two classes of osteoprogenitor cells. J Cell Biol 1991; 114: 373–84., .
- 26Orthop Clin of North America, in press., , . Tissue engineering of bone – composites of cells and matrix.