Presented in part at the 43rd meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society.
Fatigue of cortical bone under combined axial-torsional loading†
Article first published online: 1 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2001 Orthopaedic Research Society
Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Volume 19, Issue 3, pages 414–420, May 2001
How to Cite
Vashishth, D., Tanner, K. E. and Bonfield, W. (2001), Fatigue of cortical bone under combined axial-torsional loading. J. Orthop. Res., 19: 414–420. doi: 10.1016/S0736-0266(00)00036-X
- Issue published online: 1 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 1 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 SEP 2000
- Manuscript Received: 28 JUN 2000
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, UK
- 1Fracture mechanics. J Bone and Joint Surg 1961; 43B: 162–6..
- 2Fatigue fractures: Biomechanical considerations. J Bone and Joint Surg 1972; 54A: 1345–6., , .
- 3In vivo measurement of human tibial strains during vigorous activity. Bone 1996; 18: 405–10., , , , , , , et al.
- 4Anisotropic analysis of strain rosette information for cortical bone. J Biomechanics 1978; 11: 199–202..
- 5Anisotropic yield behavior of bone under combined axial force and torque. J Biomechanics 1985; 18: 61–9., , , .
- 6Mechanical Behavior of Materials. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall International Inc; 1993..
- 7Mechanics of materials. London: Chapman and Hall; 1991., .
- 8Stress reactions and stress fractures in the high performance athlete. Causes, diagnosis and therapy. Unfallchirurg 1993; 96: 66–74., , , .
- 9Biomechanics of long bone injuries. In: GoznaER, editor. Musculoskeletal Trauma. New York: Academic Press; 1978..
- 10The free movement of ground reaction in distance running and its changes with pronation. J Biomechanics 1991; 24: 887–97., .
- 11Injuries to runners. Am J Sports Med 1978; 6: 40–50., , .
- 12Stress fractures in athletes: A study of 320 cases. Am J of Sports Med 1987; 15: 46–58., , , , , .
- 13Theory of flow and fracture of solids, Vol. 1. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1950..
- 14Cyclic mechanical property degradation during fatigue loading of cortical bone. J Biomechanics 1996; 29: 69–79., , .
- 15Fracture of long bones: Effects of singular and combined loading states. J Orthop Res 1984; 1: 244–50., , , .
- 16The elastic and ultimate properties of compact bone tissue. J Biomechanics 1975; 8: 393–405., .
- 17Long-term fatigue behavior of compact bone at low strain magnitude and rate. Bone 1990; 11: 321–6., , .
- 18Crack growth resistance in cortical bone: Concept of microcrack toughening. J Biomechanics 1997; 130: 763–9., , .
- 19Permanent deformation of compact bone monitored by acoustic emission. J Biomechanics 1981; 30: 405–9., , .
- 20The effects of muscle fatigue on bone strain. J Exp Biology 1994; 188: 217–33., , , , , , .
- 21An examination of the micromechanics of failure of bone and antler by acoustic emission tests and laser scanning confocal microscopy. Med Eng Phy 1994; 16: 203–12., , .