The knee adduction moment during gait in subjects with knee osteoarthritis is more closely correlated with static alignment than radiographic disease severity, toe out angle and pain
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2002 Orthopaedic Research Society
Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Volume 20, Issue 1, pages 101–107, January 2002
How to Cite
Hurwitz, D. E., Ryals, A. B., Case, J. P., Block, J. A. and Andriacchi, T. P. (2002), The knee adduction moment during gait in subjects with knee osteoarthritis is more closely correlated with static alignment than radiographic disease severity, toe out angle and pain. J. Orthop. Res., 20: 101–107. doi: 10.1016/S0736-0266(01)00081-X
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 MAY 2001
- NIH SCOR. Grant Number: AR39239
- 1Development of criteria for the classification and reporting of osteoarthritis. Classification of osteoarthritis of the knee. Diagnostic and Therapeutic Criteria Committee of the American Rheumatism Association. Arthritis Rheum 1986; 29: 1039–49., , , , , . et al.
- 2Atlas of individual radiographic features in osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 1995; 3: 3–70., , , , .
- 3Lower limb alignment and foot angle are related to stance phase knee adduction in normal subjects: a critical analysis of the reliability of gait analysis data. J Orthop Res 1996; 14: 289–95., , , .
- 4Musculo-skeletal dynamic locomotion and clinical applications. New York: Raven Press; 1997. p. 37–69., ,
- 5Lower limb kinetics applied to the study of normal and abnormal walking. Dordrecht: Martiunus Nijhoff; 1985. p. 83–102.,
- 6Gait adaptations associated with early radiographic tibiofemoral knee osteoarthritis. In: 46th Annual Meeting Orthopaedic Research Society; 2000. p. 260., , , , .
- 7Trans ORS 1997; 718., , , , . A predictive model of outcome in high tibial osteotomy.
- 8Perspectives: a biomechanical model of the pathogenesis of arthroses. Anat Rec 1994; 240: 19–31..
- 9Clin Orthop 1993; 223–31., , . Gait analysis study on patients with varus osteoarthrosis of the knee.
- 10Static and dynamic loading patterns in knee joints with deformities. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1983; 65: 247–59..
- 11A relationship between dynamic and static assessments of knee joint load. Gait analysis and radiography before and after knee replacement in 45 patients. Acta Orthop Scand 1995; 66: 317–20., , .
- 12Knee pain and joint loading in subjects with knee osteoarthritis. J Orthop Res 2000; 18: 572–9., , , , , .
- 13Dynamic knee loads during gait predict proximal tibial bone distribution. J Biomech 1998; 31: 423–30., , , .
- 14Atlas of standard radiographs. Department of Rheumatology and Medical Illustrations, University of Manchester, Blackwell, Oxford; 1963., .
- 15Radiographic analysis of the axial alignment of the lower extremity. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1987; 69: 745–9., , .
- 16A relationship between gait and clinical changes following high tibial osteotomy. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1985; 67: 1188–94., , .
- 17Mechanical determinants of osteoarthrosis. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1991; 21: 12–21., , , , , .
- 18Interaction between active and passive knee stabilizers during level walking. J Orthop Res 1991; 9: 113–9., .
- 19Effect of piroxicam on gait in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. Arthritis Rheum 1993; 36: 1207–13., , , .
- 20Knee adduction moment, serum hyaluronan level, and disease severity in medial tibiofemoral osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1998; 41: 1233–40., , , , , . et al.
- 21The influence of walking mechanics and time on the results of proximal tibial osteotomy. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1990; 72: 905–9., , , .
- 22Adduction moment of the knee compared to radiological and clinical parameters in moderate medical osteoarthrosis of the knee. Ann Chir Gynaecol 1994; 83: 236–42., , , .