A novel bisphosphonate inhibits inflammatory bone resorption in a rat osteolysis model with continuous infusion of polyethylene particles
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2002 Orthopaedic Research Society
Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Volume 20, Issue 3, pages 499–505, May 2002
How to Cite
Iwase, M., Kim, K. J., Kobayashi, Y., Itoh, M. and Itoh, T. (2002), A novel bisphosphonate inhibits inflammatory bone resorption in a rat osteolysis model with continuous infusion of polyethylene particles. J. Orthop. Res., 20: 499–505. doi: 10.1016/S0736-0266(01)00155-3
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 OCT 2001
- Manuscript Received: 17 JAN 2001
- 1The effects of particulate polyethylene at a weight-bearing bone-implant interface: a study in rats. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1996; 78: 32–7., , , .
- 2Periprosthetic bone resorption particles versus movement. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1996; 78: 641–6., .
- 3Tumor necrosis factor-α induces differentiation of and bone resorption by osteoclasts. J Biol Chem 2000; 275: 4858–64., , , , .
- 4Aseptic loosening in uncemented total hip arthroplasty in a canine model. Clin Orthop 1995; 319: 106–21., , , .
- 5Current concepts in orthopaedic biomaterials and implant fixation. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1993; 75: 1086–109., , , , .
- 6Bone resorption activity of particulate-stimulated macrophages. J Bone Miner Res 1993; 8: 1071–9., , , , , .
- 7The synovial-like membrane at the bone-cement interface in loose total hip replacements and its proposed role in bone lysis. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1983; 65: 575–84., , , , , .
- 8Tissue ingrowth and differentiation in the bone-harvest chamber in the presence of cobalt-chromium-alloy and high-density-polyethylene particles. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1995; 77: 1025–35., , , , , , et al.
- 9A clinical-pathologic-biochemical study of the membrane surrounding loosened and nonloosened total hip arthroplasties. Clin Orthop 1988; 244: 182–7., , , , , .
- 10Extensive localized bone resorption in the femur following total hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1976; 58: 612–8., , , , .
- 11Studies of the mechanism by which the mechanical failure of polymethylmethacrylate leads to bone resorption. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1993; 75: 802–13., , , .
- 12Localized osteolysis in stable, non-septic total hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1986; 68: 912–9., , , , .
- 13In vivo and in vitro analysis of membranes from hip prostheses inserted without cement. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1994; 76: 172–80., , .
- 14Osteolysis model with continuous infusion of polyethylene particles. Clin Orthop 1998; 352: 46–52., , .
- 15A histologic and biochemical comparison of the interface tissues in cementless and cemented hip prostheses. Clin Orthop 1993; 287: 142–52., , , , .
- 16Tumor necrosis factor α stimulates osteoclast differetiation by a mechanism independent of the ODF/RANKLRANK interaction. J Exp Med 2000; 191: 275–85., , , , , , et al.
- 17Endosteal erosion in association with stable uncemented femoral components. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1990; 72: 1025–34., , , .
- 18Tumor necrosis factor-α mediates orthopedic implant osteolysis. Am J Pathol 1999; 154: 203–10., , , , , .
- 19The effect of improved cementing techniques on component loosening in total hip replacement: an II-year radiographic review. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1990; 72: 757–60., .
- 20The pathogenesis of loosening of total hip arthroplasties. Clin Orthop 1990; 253: 287–96., , .
- 21Properties of tissue from around cemented joint implants with erosive and/or linear osteolysis. J Arthro 1997; 12: 670–6., , , , , .
- 22Aggressive granulomatous lesions associated with hip arthroplasty; immunopathological studies. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1990; 72: 252–8., , , , , .
- 23Periprosthetic bone loss in total hip arthroplasty: polyethylene wear debris and the concept of the effective joint space. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1992; 74: 849–63., , .
- 24Inhibition of wear debris mediated osteolysis in a canine total hip arthroplasty model. Clin Orthop 1997; 344: 33–43., , .
- 25Macrophage phagocytosis of polyethylene particles in vitro. J Biomed Mater Res 1999; 39: 40–51., , , , , .
- 26Inhibitory effects of TRK-530 on rat adjuvant arthritis. Pharmacology 1998; 56: 242–51., , , , .
- 27TRK-530 inhibits accumulation of superoxide anions derived from human polymorphonuclear leukocytes and bone resorption induced by activated osteoclasts. Pharmacology 1998; 56: 125–30., , , , .
- 28Inhibitory effects of TRK-530 on inflammatory cytokines in bone marrow of rats with adjuvant arthritis. Pharmacology 1998; 56: 237–41., , , .
- 29Benign cellular responses in rats to different wear particles in intra-articular and intramedullary environments. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1997; 79-B: 837–43., , , , .
- 30Osteolysis in alloar-throplasty of the hip: the role of ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene wear particles. Clin Orthop 1990; 258: 95–107., , .
- 31Aminobisphosphonate (YM175) inhibits bone destruction in rat adjuvant arthritis. J Orthop Sci 2000; 5: 397–403., , , .