Determination of cortical bone porosity and pore size distribution using a low field pulsed NMR approach
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2003 Orthopaedic Research Society
Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Volume 21, Issue 2, pages 312–319, March 2003
How to Cite
Wang, X. and Ni, Q. (2003), Determination of cortical bone porosity and pore size distribution using a low field pulsed NMR approach. J. Orthop. Res., 21: 312–319. doi: 10.1016/S0736-0266(02)00157-2
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
- 1Principles of nuclear magnetism. Amen House, London: Oxford University Press; 1961..
- 2Osteoporosis and bone mineral densitometry. Curr Opin Radiol 1992; 6: 11–20..
- 3Intracortical remodeling in adult rat long bones after fatigue loading. Bone 1998; 3: 275–81., , , , , .
- 4Prediction of the strength of the elderly proximal femur by bone mineral density and quantitative ultrasound measurements of the heel and tibia. Bone 1999; 1: 49–54., , .
- 5Effects of diffusion on free precession in nuclear magnetic resonance experiments. Phys Rev 1954; 3: 630., .
- 6Imaging multiexponential relaxation in the (y, log T1) plane, with application to clay filtration in rock cores. J Magn Reson Series A 1995; 113: 139–50., , .
- 7A NMR technique for the analysis of pore structure: determination of continuous pore size distributions. J Coll Interf Sci 1988; 122: 143–53., .
- 8Application of spin-spin relaxation to measurement of surface area and pore size distributions in a hydrating cement paste. Magn Reson Imaging 1994; 2: 169–73., , .
- 9Trabecular bone mineral and calculated structure of human bone specimens scanned by peripheral quantitative computed tomography: relation to biomechanical properties. J Bone Miner Res 1998; 11: 1783–90., , , , , , et al.
- 10Petrophysical principles of applications of NMR logging. The Log Analyst March-April:21, 1997..
- 11A theoretical model for stress-generated fluid flow in the canaliculi-lacunae network in bone tissue. J Biomech 1990; 2: 171–80., .
- 12Histomorphometric analysis of iliac crest bone biopsies in placebo-treated versus fluoride-treated subjects. Osteoporos Int 1995; 2: 115–29 (see comments)., , , , , , et al.
- 13Porosity and specific surface of bone. Crit Rev Biomed Eng 1984; 3: 179–222..
- 14Age-related changes in the tensile properties of cortical bone. The relative importance of changes in porosity, mineralization, and microstructure. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1993; 8: 1193–205., , , .
- 15Modified spin-echo method for measuring nuclear relaxation times. Rev Sci Instr A 1958; 29: 688–91., .
- 16Microdamage and osteocyte-Iacuna strain in bone: a microstructural finite element analysis. J Biomech Eng 1996; 2: 240–6., .
- 17Numerical recipes. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 1992., , , .
- 18Bone remodeling in periodontal lesions. J Periodontol 1977; 2: 74–7., .
- 19Physiocochemical structure of bone. Clin Orthop 1975; 112: 263–315..
- 20Instrumental diagnosis of osteoporosis. Aging (Milano) 1998; 3: 240–8., , .
- 21Animal models of cortical porosity. Bone 1995; 4(Suppl):297S–305S..
- 22Changes in bone histomorphometry after long-term treatment with intermittent, cyclic etidronate for postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 1993; 2: 199–208., , , .
- 23Regularization of incorrectly posed problems. Soviet Math 1963: 1624..
- 24Solution of incorrectly formulated problems and the regularization methods. Soviet Math 1963: 1035..
- 25Solution of III = posed problems. Washington DC: VH Winston & Sons; 1977., .
- 26Quantitative interpretation of NMR relaxation data. J Magn Reson 1989: 134–52., .