Repair of patellar tendon injuries using a cell–collagen composite
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2003 Orthopaedic Research Society
Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 420–431, May 2003
How to Cite
Awad, H. A., Boivin, G. P., Dressler, M. R., Smith, F. N. L., Young, R. G. and Butler, D. L. (2003), Repair of patellar tendon injuries using a cell–collagen composite. J. Orthop. Res., 21: 420–431. doi: 10.1016/S0736-0266(02)00163-8
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
- 1Patellar tendon and infrapatellar fat pad healing after harvest of an ACL graft. J Surg Res 1998; 79: 25–30., , , .
- 2Autologous mesenchymal stem cell-mediated repair of tendon. Tissue Eng 1999; 5: 267–77., , , , , , et al.
- 3In vitro characterization of mesenchymal stem cell-seeded collagen scaffolds for tendon repair: effects of initial seeding density on contraction kinetics. J Biomed Mater Res 2000; 51: 233–40., , , , , , et al.
- 4Production of a tissue-like structure by contraction of collagen lattices by human fibroblasts of different proliferative potential in vitro. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA 1979; 76: 1274–8., , .
- 5Biomechanical assessment of the healing response of the rabbit patellar tendon after removal of its central third. Am J Sports Med 1995; 23: 452–7., , , , .
- 6Osteoprogenitor cells within skeletal muscle. J Orthop Res 2000; 18: 933–44., , , , , , et al.
- 7The effect of implants loaded with autologous mesenchymal stem cells on the healing of canine segmental bone defects. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1998; 80: 985–96., , , .
- 8Ossification in the patellar tendon and patella alta following sports injuries in children. Complications of sleeve fractures after conservative treatment. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 1993; 112: 157–8., , .
- 9Biomechanical and histological observations of the dog patellar tendon after removal of its central third. Am J Sports Med 1990; 18: 146–53., , .
- 10Mesenchymal stem cells. J Orthop Res 1991; 9: 641–50..
- 11Mesenchymal stem cells and tissue repair. In: JacksonDW, ArnoczkySP, WooSL-Y, FrankCB, SimonTM, editors. The anterior cruciate ligament—current and future concepts. New York: Raven Press; 1993. p. 405–17., , , , , , et al.
- 12Toxicity in vital fluorescence microscopy: effect of dimethylsulfoxide, rhodamine-123, and Dillow density lipoprotein on fibroblast growth in vitro. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 1991; 27A: 633–8., .
- 13Patellar tendinitis—a case report of elongation and ossification of the inferior pole of the patella. Scand J Med Sci Sports 1995; 5: 308–10., .
- 14Stereology of arbitrary particles. A review of unbiased number and size estimators and the presentation of some new ones, in memory of William R. Thompson. J Microsci 1986; 143 (Pt 1): 3–45..
- 15Some new, simple and efficient stereological methods and their use in pathological research and diagnosis. APMIS 1988; 96: 379–94., , , , , , et al.
- 16Massive heterotopic ossification after biceps tendon rupture and tenodesis. Clin Orthop 1990; 255: 284–8., , .
- 17Mechanisms and dynamics of mechanical strengthening in ligament-equivalent fibroblast-populated collagen matrices. Ann Biomed Eng 1993; 21: 289–305., , , , .
- 18Oriented growth of octacalcium phosphate on and inside the collagenous matrix in vitro. Connect Tissue Res 1995; 33: 197–202., , .
- 19The influence of immobilization versus exercise on scar formation in the rabbit patellar tendon after excision of the central third. Am J Sports Med 1994; 22: 803–11., , , .
- 20Mineralization of collagen may occur on fibril surfaces: evidence from conventional and high-voltage electron microscopy and three-dimensional imaging. J Struct Biol 1996; 117: 24–35., , , , , , et al.
- 21A chemically defined medium supports in vitro proliferation and maintains the osteochondral potential of rat marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Exp Cell Res 1995; 219: 211–22., , , , .
- 22Biomechanical and histological properties of the canine patellar tendon after removal of its medial third. Am J Sports Med 1994; 22: 136–42., , , .
- 23Histological and biomechanical observations of the rabbit patellar tendon after removal of its central one-third. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 1997; 116: 454–62., , .
- 24Design and analysis of experiments. John Wiley & Sons; 1991..
- 25Antiangiogenic agent (TNP-470) inhibition of ectopic bone formation induced by bone morphogenetic protein-2. Bone 1998; 22: 99–105., , , , , , et al.
- 26Multilineage potential of adult human mesenchymal stem cells. Science 1999; 284: 143–7., , , , , , et al.
- 27Gelatinbased resorbable sponge as a carrier matrix for human mesenchymal stem cells in cartilage regeneration therapy. J Biomed Mater Res 2000; 52: 246–55., , , .
- 28Characterization of the repair tissue after removal of the central one-third of the patellar ligament. An experimental study in the goat model. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1997; 79: 997–1006., , .
- 29Endochondral ossification and de novo collagen synthesis during repair of the rat Achilles tendon. Matrix 1992; 12: 274–81., , .
- 30Myogenic expression of mesenchymal stem cells within myotubes of mdx mice in vitro and in vivo. Tissue Eng 1995; 1: 327–44., , , , .
- 31Ganglion cell neurogenesis, migration and early differentiation in the chick retina. Neuroscience 1994; 58: 399–409., .
- 32Cell condensation in chondrogenic differentiation. Exp Cell Res 1992; 200: 26–33., , , , , .
- 33Tissue engineering science: consequences of cell traction force. Cytotechnology 1992; 10: 225–50., , .
- 34Mesenchymal cell-based repair of large, full-thickness defects of articular cartilage. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1994; 76: 579–92., , , , , , et al.
- 35Effects of stress shielding on the mechanical properties of rabbit patellar tendon. J Biomech Eng 1993; 115: 23–8., , , , , .
- 36Use of mesenchymal stem cells in a collagen matrix for Achilles tendon repair. J Orthop Res 1998; 16: 406–13., , , , , .