Cyclic hydrostatic pressure enhances the chondrogenic phenotype of human mesenchymal progenitor cells differentiated in vitro
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2003 Orthopaedic Research Society
Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 451–457, May 2003
How to Cite
Angele, P., Yoo, J. U., Smith, C., Mansour, J., Jepsen, K. J., Nerlich, M. and Johnstone, B. (2003), Cyclic hydrostatic pressure enhances the chondrogenic phenotype of human mesenchymal progenitor cells differentiated in vitro. J. Orthop. Res., 21: 451–457. doi: 10.1016/S0736-0266(02)00230-9
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
- National Institutes of Health grant. Grant Number: AR44930
- 1Changes in proteoglycan synthesis of chondrocytes in articular cartilage are associated with the time-dependent changes in their mechanical environment. J Biomech 1995; 28: 1561–9., , , , , .
- 2Regulation of fracture repair by growth factors. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1992; 200: 165–70..
- 3Modulation of osteogenesis in fetal bone rudiments by mechanical stress in vitro. J Biomech 1991; 24(Suppl 1): 101–9., , .
- 4Effect of compressive loading and unloading on the synthesis of total protein, proteoglycan, and fibronectin by canine cartilage explants. J Orthop Res 1993; 11: 717–29., , , .
- 5Mechanical compression modulates matrix biosynthesis in chondrocyte/agarose culture. J Cell Sci 1995; 108: 1497–508., , , .
- 6A spectrophotometric modification of a sensitive densitometric Safranin O assay for glycosaminoglycans. Biochem Int 1991; 24: 485–95., , .
- 7Mechanobiology of skeletal regeneration. Clin Orthop 1998; 355: 41S–55S., , , .
- 8Correlations between mechanical stress history and tissue differentiation in initial fracture healing. J Orthop Res 1988; 6: 736–48., , .
- 9Increasing extracellular matrix production in regenerating cartilage with intermittent physiological pressure. Biotechnol Bioeng 1999; 62: 166–74., .
- 10Contact response of cells can mediate morphogenetic pattern formation. Differentiation 1990; 45: 147–59., .
- 11Effect of compressive loading on chondrocyte differentiation in agarose cultures of chick limb-bud cells. J Orthop Res 2000; 18: 78–86., , , , .
- 12Effects of variable duration intermittent hydrostatic pressure on cartilage glycosaminoglycan synthesis. Trans Orthop Res Soc 1994; 19: 486., , .
- 13Swelling and fibronectin accumulation in articular cartilage explants after cyclical impact. J Orthop Res 1996; 14: 417–23., , , , , , et al.
- 14The histogenesis of cartilage and bone in the long bones of the embryonic fowl. J Morphol Physiol 1925; 40: 417–59..
- 15The effects of hydrostatic pressure on matrix synthesis in articular cartilage. J Orthop Res 1991; 9: 1–10., , .
- 16In vitro chondrogenesis of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal progenitor cells. Exp Cell Res 1998; 238: 265–72., , , , .
- 17Compression of cartilage results in differential effects on biosynthetic pathways for aggregan, link protein, and hyaluronan. Arch Biochem Biophys 1996; 328: 331–40., , .
- 18Fluorometric assay of DNA in cartilage explants using Hoechst 33258. Anal Biochem 1988; 174: 168–76., , , .
- 19Mechanical regulation of cartilage biosynthetic behavior: physical stimuli. Arch Biochem Biophys 1994; 311: 1–12., , , , .
- 20In vitro metabolic response of articular cartilage segments to low levels of hydrostatic pressure. Conn Tiss Res 1985; 13: 99–107., , , .
- 21Cartilage and diarthrodial joints as paradigms for hierarchical materials and structures. Biomaterials 1992; 13: 67–97., , .
- 22Spatio-temporal patterns in a mechanical model for mesenchymal morphogenesis. J Math Biol 1995; 33: 489–520., .
- 23Effects of static and cyclic compressive loading on articular cartilage plugs in vitro. Arthritis Rheum 1984; 27: 675–81., .
- 24Cell origin and differentiation in the repair of full-thickness defects of articular cartilage. J Bone Joint Surg 1993; 75A: 532–53., , .
- 25In vitro stimulation of articular chondrocyte mRNA and extracellular matrix synthesis by hydrostatic pressure. J Orthop Res 1996; 14: 53–60., , , , , , et al.
- 26Stalder. Determination of hydroxyproline. Clin Chim Acta 1967; 18: 267.,
- 27Intermittent sub-ambient interstitial hydrostatic pressure as a potential mechanical stimulator for chondrocyte metabolism. Osteoarth Cartil 1999; 7: 71–80., , , , , , et al.
- 28Cartilage induction by controlled mechanical stimulation in vivo. J Orthop Res 1999; 17: 200–4., .
- 29Compressive force promotes sox9, type II collagen and aggregan and inhibits IL-1β expression resulting in chondrogenesis in mouse embryonic limb bud mesenchymal cells. J Cell Sci 1998; 111: 2067–76., , , , , , et al.
- 30Characterization of cartilage metabolic response to static and dynamic stress using a mechanical explant test system. J Biomech 1997; 30: 1–9., , , , , , et al.
- 31Cartilage response to mechanical force in high-density chondrocyte cultures. Arthritis Rheum 1985; 28: 419–24., , , , .
- 32The chondrogenic potential of human bone-marrow-derived mesenchymal progenitor cells. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1998; 80: 1745–57., , , , , , et al.