The initial phase of fracture healing is specifically sensitive to mechanical conditions
Article first published online: 1 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2003 Orthopaedic Research Society
Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Volume 21, Issue 4, pages 662–669, July 2003
How to Cite
Klein, P., Schell, H., Streitparth, F., Heller, M., Kassi, J.-P., Kandziora, F., Bragulla, H., Haas, N. P. and Duda, G. N. (2003), The initial phase of fracture healing is specifically sensitive to mechanical conditions. J. Orthop. Res., 21: 662–669. doi: 10.1016/S0736-0266(02)00259-0
- Issue published online: 1 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 1 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 NOV 2002
- Manuscript Received: 16 MAY 2002
- The German Research Foundation. Grant Number: DFG Du 298/3-1
- 1Early, full weightbearing with flexible fixation delays fracture healing. Clin Orthop 1996; 328: 194–202., , , , , , et al.
- 2Mechanical stimulation by external application of cyclic tensile strains does not effectively enhance bone healing. J Orthop Trauma 2001; 15: 54–60., , , .
- 3Systematically administered growth hormone enhances the early phase of osteochondral defect healing. Trans Orthop Res Soc, Orlando 2000: 182., , , , , , et al.
- 4Early histologic and ultrastructural changes in microvessels of periosteal callus. J Orthop Trauma 1997; 11: 244–53., .
- 5The effect of rigidity on fracture healing in external fixation. Clin Orthop 1989; 241: 24–35., , , .
- 6Role of interfragmentary strain in fracture healing: ovine model of a healing osteotomy. J Orthop Res 1991; 9: 131–42., , , , .
- 7Measuring bone healing in osteosynthesis with external fixator using the Fraktometer FM 100. Chirurg 1991; 62: 354–5..
- 8Influence of size and stability of the osteotomy gap on the success of fracture healing. J Orthop Res 1997; 15: 577–84., , , .
- 9Mechanical modification of callus healing. Chirurg 2000; 71: 989–94., , .
- 10Effects of mechanical factors on the fracture healing process. Clin Orthop 1998; 355(Suppl): 132–47., , , , , , et al.
- 11The design and performance of an experimental external fixator with variable axial stiffness and a compressive force transducer. Med Eng Phys 1997; 19: 690–5., , , , .
- 12Analysis of inter-fragmentary movement as a function of musculoskeletal loading conditions in sheep. J Biomech 1998; 31: 201–10., , , , , .
- 13A method to determine the 3-D stiffness of fracture fixation devices and its application to predict inter-fragmentary movement. J Biomech 1998; 31: 247–52., , , .
- 14Mechanical boundary conditions of fracture healing: borderline indications in the treatment of unreamed tibial nailing. J Biomech 2001; 34: 639–50., , , , , , et al.
- 15Interfragmentary motion in tibial osteotomies stabilized with ring fixators. Clin Orthop 2002; 396: 163–72., , , , , , et al.
- 16Effects of axial dynamization on bone healing. J Trauma 1993; 34: 185–92., , , , .
- 17Dynamic interfragmentary motion in fractures during routine patient activity. Clin Orthop 1997; 336: 216–25., , , .
- 18Mechanical stimulus to bone. Ann Rheum Dis 1992; 51: 4–6..
- 19The role of fixator frame stiffness in the control of fracture healing. An experimental study. J Biomech 1993; 26: 1027–35., , , .
- 20Strain rate and timing of stimulation in mechanical modulation of fracture healing. Clin Orthop 1998; 355(Suppl): 105–15., , .
- 21Fracture healing of the sheep tibia treated using a unilateral external fixator. Comparison of static and dynamic fixation. Injury 1999; 30(Suppl 1): A44–51., , , , , .
- 22Assessment of the stability of fracture fixation systems: mechanical device to investigate the 3-D stiffness in vitro. Biomed Tech (Berl) 2001; 46: 247–52., , , , .
- 23Mounting plane of external fixators influences callus tissue formation. Trans Orthop Res Soc, Dallas 2002: 715., , , , , , et al.
- 24Molecular aspects of healing in stabilized and non-stabilized fractures. J Orthop Res 2001; 19: 78–84., , , .
- 25The effect of early stability on fracture repair. Trans Orthop Res Soc, Dallas 2002: 0709., , , , , .
- 26Molecular events caused by mechanical stress in bone. Matrix Biol 2000; 19: 91–6., .
- 27The influence of active shear or compressive motion on fracture-healing. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1998; 80: 868–78., , .
- 28Cellular mechanisms of bone repair. J Invest Surg 1997; 10: 77–86., .
- 29Plantar pressure distribution measurements. Technical background and clinical applications. Foot Ankle Surg 1997; 3: 1–14., .
- 30Fracture healing in rat femora as affected by functional weight-bearing. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1977; 59: 369–75., , , , .
- 31Effect of loading and fracture motions on diaphyseal tibial fractures. J Orthop Res 1996; 14: 80–4., , , , , , et al.
- 32Histologic finding of fracture healing using external fixation and its clinical significance. Unfallchirurgie 1984; 10: 110–22..
- 33The vascular response to fracture micromovement. Clin Orthop 1994; 301: 281–90., , , , .
- 34Mechanotransduction across the cell surface and through the cytoskeleton. Science 1993; 260: 1124–7., , .
- 35The effects of external mechanical stimulation on the healing of diaphyseal osteotomies fixed by flexible external fixation. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 1998; 13: 359–64., , , , , , et al.
- 36Comparison of osteotomy healing under external fixation devices with different stiffness characteristics. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1984; 66: 1258–64., , , .
- 37The biomechanics of fracture healing. J Bone Joint Surg 1955; 37-A: 1035–68., .