Effect of dynamic hydrostatic pressure on rabbit intervertebral disc cells
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2003 Orthopaedic Research Society
Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Volume 21, Issue 4, pages 597–603, July 2003
How to Cite
Kasra, M., Goel, V., Martin, J., Wang, S.-T., Choi, W. and Buckwalter, J. (2003), Effect of dynamic hydrostatic pressure on rabbit intervertebral disc cells. J. Orthop. Res., 21: 597–603. doi: 10.1016/S0736-0266(03)00027-5
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JAN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 17 MAY 2002
- The departments of Biomedical Engineering and Orthopedic Surgery at the University of Iowa
- 1Mechanical initiation of intervertebral disc degeneration. Spine 2000; 25: 1625–36., , , , .
- 2Aging and degeneration of the human intervertebral disc. Spine 1995; 20: 1307–14..
- 3A new culture system to study the metabolism of the intervertebral disc in vitro. Spine 1998; 23: 1821–7., , , , , .
- 4Medical and occupational preconditions for vibration-induced spinal disorders: occupational disease no. 2110 in Germany. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 1994; 66: 303–8..
- 5Magnitude of the problem. In: WieselS, WeinsteinJN, HerkowitzH, DvorakJ, BellG, editors. The lumbar spine. Philadelphia: W.B. Sanders Company; 1996. p. 8–16..
- 6Analysis of aging and degeneration of the human intervertebral disc. Comparison of surgical specimens with normal controls. Spine 1998; 23: 751–7., .
- 7Viscoelastic properties of intervertebral disc cells. Identification of two biomechanically distinct cell populations. Spine 1999; 24: 2475–83., , , , , .
- 8Molecular biology of degenerative disc disease. Neurosurgery 2000; 47: 1034–40., .
- 9Culture and growth characteristics of chondrocytes encapsulated in alginate beads. Conn Tissue Res 1989; 19: 277–97., , .
- 10Effects of hydrostatic pressure on matrix synthesis and matrix metalloproteinase production in the human lumbar intervertebral disc. Spine 1997; 15: 1085–91., , , , , .
- 11Isolation and characterization of proteoglycans. Meth Enzymol 1994; 230: 390–417., , , .
- 12Cartilage. Meth Enzymol 1987; 145: 336–63., .
- 13Cells from different regions of the intervertebral disc: effect of culture system on matrix expression and cell phenotype. Spine 2002; 27(10): 1018–28., , , , , .
- 14The effect of hydrostatic pressure on intervertebral disc metabolism. Spine 1999; 24: 1507–15., , , , , , et al.
- 15The effect of compressive force applied to the intervertebral disc in vivo. A study of proteoglycans and collagen. Spine 1998; 23: 2524–37., , , , , .
- 16Compression-induced changes in intervertebral disc properties in a rat tail model. Spine 1999; 24: 996–1002., , , , .
- 17Effects of hydrostatic pressure on matrix synthesis in different regions of the intervertebral disk. J Appl Physiol 1996; 80: 839–46., , , .
- 18Protoglycan synthesis in the intervertebral disc nucleus: the role of extracellular osmolarity. Am J Physiol 1997; 272: C1499–505., , , .
- 19Fluorophotometric quantitation of DNA in articular cartilage utilizing Hoechst 33258. Anal Biochem 1989; 176: 128–31..
- 201980 Volvo award in basic science. Proteoglycans in experimental intervertebral disc degeneration. Spine 1981; 6: 194–210., .
- 21Intervertebral disc cell death is dependent on the magnitude and duration of spinal loading. Spine 2000; 25: 1477–83., .
- 22Compression-induced degeneration of the intervertebral disc: an in vivo mouse model and finite-element study. Spine 1998; 23: 2493–506., , , , .
- 23Biochemical changes in intervertebral disc degeneration. Biochim Biophys Acta 1981; 673(4): 443–53., , .
- 24Intervertebral disc degeneration in adult mice with hereditary kyphoscoliosis. J Orthop Res 1984; 2: 333–8., .
- 25Degradation of basement membrane type IV collagen and lung subendothelial matrix by rat mammary adenocarcinoma cell clones of differing metastatic potentials. Cancer Res 1987; 47: 4869–76., , , .
- 26Phenotypic characteristics of rabbit intervertebral disc cells. Comparison with cartilage cells from the same animals. Spine 1999; 24: 837–44., , , , , .
- 27Kappa Delta Award. Low back pain and whole body vibration. Clin Orthop 1998; 354: 241–8., , .
- 28Occupational hazards for low back pain. In: WiensteinJW, GordonSL, editors. Low back pain. Illinois: AAOS; 1996..
- 29Resonant frequencies of standing humans. Ergonomics 1997; 40: 879–86., , .
- 30Measurement of pressures in the nucleus and within the annulus of the human spinal disc: due to extreme loading. Proc Inst Mech Eng 1991; 205: 141–6..
- 31In vivo intradiscal pressure measurement in healthy individuals and in patients with ongoing back problems. Spine 1999; 24: 2468–74., , .
- 32New in vivo measurements of pressures in the intervertebral disc in daily life. Spine 1999; 24: 755–62., , , , .
- 33Studies on the transmission of vibrations in human organism exposed to low-frequency whole-body vibration. Acta Physiol Pol 1976; 27: 347–54., , , , .